Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smelly feet/shoes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One of my housemates has quite smelly feet and is ALWAYS barefoot as she says she hates having her feet covered up. Now, this would be fine however her feet really do smell, as do her shoes which she tends to leave in the living room. And all she wears are ballerina/pump style shoes, which she wears barefoot and also smell. One of our friends who lived with her last year spoke to her several times about it but never got anywhere. I really don't know what to do, I find bare feet a bit gross as it is but I can cope when theyre not dirty/smelly. How do you go about telling someone their feet smell and asking them to wear socks/slippers when they hate covering their feet?? Or shall I just put up with it?

Comments

• Options
    You can't tell them they need to cover up their feet but you can ask them not to make the room(s) smell with their scent. How you go about doing that in a tactful way when it seems that tactful has been amployed before and failed, I don't know.
  • Options
    buy some athelete's foot powder and bomb the shoes. it'll get rid of the fungal infection in her shoes and stop it re-spreading to her feet. She wont notice and if she does, she'll get the message.
  • Options
    Ask her if she's aware she smells... She probably isn't/
  • Options
    But her some foot odour powder for Christmas, leave it around for her as a 'secret Santa' kind of thing if you don't want her to know it's from you and there are others living there.. (Obviously it wouldn't work if it's just the two of you, lol)
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Ask her if she's aware she smells... She probably isn't/

yep, do it in private and approach with caution.
  • Options
    If it's her birthday soon, buy her some nice smelly stuff for her feet as a present, or of course wait till Christmas.
  • Options
    She's been told about it before by a friend who lived with her last year and she didn't seem to get the message. And it is her bday soon actually but I do think she may take offence if I did that!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    She's been told about it before by a friend who lived with her last year and she didn't seem to get the message. And it is her bday soon actually but I do think she may take offence if I did that!

Buy her a foot spray or something.

I would tell somebody if they stank. You shouldn't have to suffer for her poor hygeine.
  • Options
    I would tell somebody if they stank. You shouldn't have to suffer for her poor hygeine.

I'm glad I don't live with you (not that I smell or anything). That's a bit judgmental. She might suffer from a bad case of hyperhidrosis - you don't know. Always best to approach these things with tact rather than assuming that it is down to poor hygiene
  • Options
    Avizandum wrote: »
    I'm glad I don't live with you (not that I smell or anything). That's a bit judgmental. She might suffer from a bad case of hyperhidrosis - you don't know. Always best to approach these things with tact rather than assuming that it is down to poor hygiene
    I'm not claiming to be a nice person to live with. ;)

If she has a problem with smell, but doesn't realise she stinks, then she should be told.

If she has a perspiration problem, then she should at least wash her feet before walking around the house (obviously once she's aware of it) or wear shoes. I don't see why other people should have to share the smell if it can be masked...

She probably isn't aware of it at all mind, else she'd be embarrassed and try to hide it.

I would be upfront and ask the person if they know they smell... I would want people to do the same for me as well.
  • Options
    I'm not claiming to be a nice person to live with. ;)

If she has a problem with smell, but doesn't realise she stinks, then she should be told.

If she has a perspiration problem, then she should at least wash her feet before walking around the house (obviously once she's aware of it) or wear shoes. I don't see why other people should have to share the smell if it can be masked...

She probably isn't aware of it at all mind, else she'd be embarrassed and try to hide it.

I would be upfront and ask the person if they know they smell... I would want people to do the same for me as well.

There's a difference between being upfront and tactless. You do need to approach these issues sensitively, just in case there is a problem.

Hyperhidrosis isn't down to poor hygiene at all (as you seem to keep missing based on your reply). Depending on the severity of it a person could wash and change their clothes numerous times in a day and still end up smelling due to sweat. There are treatments available, but most people are too embarrassed to go to their doctor (or are under the mistaken belief that simply washing constantly, using deodorants or other sprays is enough or that there isn't anything that can be done). I'm not saying this person has such a condition and maybe they are just unhygienic, but as the original poster hasn't mentioned about any washing habits (or lack of) it is a bit much to instantly conclude that it's down to poor hygiene.

There is often a problem with people noticing that they smell due to some biological make-up of the smell receptors etc. in our bodies. From what the original poster has stated it would appear that they have been made aware of this fact in the past.

The only thing I'm getting at is don't judge people you don't know. Have an open mind as to all the reasons as to why, in this instance, a person might smell and deal with it tactfully.
  • Options
    Well, sweat itself doesn't stink, it is when it gets mixed with the bacteria on your body that it does. A hyperhydrosis sufferer isn't necessairly going to stink, there is no reason for them to. Proper, regular washing and clothing will take care of that. My hands and feet drip (and in the last year, the pits, grrr) even on the tops of my fingers and toes, the boyfriend says he's never seen that before :p and I even managed to have a friend years back who somehow sweat worse than me... never once ran into a stinking problem unless it was down to poor hygene, or not changing those awful non-cotton socks :yuck: or cheap plastic flip flops
  • Options
    Obviously, I wouldn't go up to her and say "you fuckin' stink love, sort it out", but would mention it nicely to her and if she was and would offer to go to the doctor if she had excess sweating...

But you're right, I shouldn't judge that people who smell do so because they're dirty.
  • Options
    But her some foot odour powder for Christmas