Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tell me all about thyroids and antidepressants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Really this should be two posts, as it's two separate issues which both came to a head following my doctor's appointment today. I didn't ask enough questions and there was only so much I could take in so I'm hoping some of you might have a bit of experience or advice to fill in the gaps.

Apparently, my pituitary is producing too much thyroid stimulating hormone, and my thyroid isn't producing enough thyroxine (I think). It's not at a stage yet where the doctors intervene but I have to have regular blood tests to check because the doc says there is a chance my thyroid could just give up. Does anyone have experience with this happening? Anything I should look out for which means it is getting worse? What happens if it does give up?

For reasons unrelated to the thyroid thing (I have unpleasant side effect from the anti-d's), I have to come off SSRI's (yay) and getting used to new ones (double yay). I don't know what the other family of anti-depressants are called, so I don't even know where to begin researching. Can anybody help me out?

Also, underactive thyroid+new anti-d's which make you sleepy and increase your appetite = one fat evenstar. I was never thin to begin with. Fantastic. This is going to be a great year. Thank you for reading all this btw.

Comments

• Options
    The other class of anti-depressant that is widely prescribed is tri-cyclic antidepressants like amitryptiline etc. I took these and didn't put on any weight.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll have a look. Does anybody have experience of thyroid problems?
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll have a look. Does anybody have experience of thyroid problems?

I have an underactive thyroid, had it for years, mine has always had to be medicated though. What would you like to know?
    It should only affect your weight if its underactive, which to me means you need medication? I'm unsure why you aren't getting this unless you are boarderline.
    Your depression could quite easily be down to having an underactive thyroid....
    I was told i had depression at the same time i had depression and once my medication for thyroid was sorted i wasn't depressed anymore.
    Perhaps its worth a chat with your gp about it all and ask them where yours sits.
    I know mine is getting worse when i am tired out badly dispite sleeping a fair amount. My skin on my face gets dry patches, almost like reptile feel lol. My hair falls out more...oh and a big one for me was palpatations, i know if i get lots of these then my meds need upping.
    If theres anything in particular you want to know let me know, i have had this for years now. Mine is likely to just give up one day and i will just have to have even higher medication.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    I know mine is getting worse when i am tired out badly dispite sleeping a fair amount. My skin on my face gets dry patches, almost like reptile feel lol. My hair falls out more...oh and a big one for me was palpatations, i know if i get lots of these then my meds need upping.

I have started to get all of these symptoms in the last few months. I've had a horrible dry pimple rash around my mouth which I cannot shake. The doctor said I was borderline, but I don't really know how to explain these symptoms otherwise. My thyroxine was tested a few years ago when I was first diagnosed with depression and it was fine then, so I don't know how long it's been acting funny. I've had spates of heart palpitations since my early teens though, so who knows what that is about. What happens if your thyroid does give up?

Thank you for giving such a detailed response. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to get some of these questions answered, I really felt rushed last week when I found out about this.
  • Options
    Basically if it gives up you will more than likely just be on a high dose of thyroxine. If you are getting symptoms I would ask your gp to try you on a low dose of thyroxine to make you feel better. There's nothing worse than that tired grotty feel day in day out.
    Just becauseyou result is borderline doesn't mean much, it could mean that for you the level is way too low and needs meditating, they are meant to take into account how you are feeling aswell as the numbers.
    Don't worry yours may never give up, there's different types having not had it for years I dint know how they can guess that yours will pack up. You may be one of the lucky ones who it is just a glitch and it starts working properly again soon.
    Either way it's not the end of the world, just means tablet everyday. Btw you will also get free prescriptions for 5 yrs at a time
  • Options
    How did you get on at the docs?
  • Options
    My doctor thinks most of my symptoms are to do with being on the wrong anti-depressants before, and since i started the new ones it's all just got worse which is to be expected to an extent i guess. I've been a walking zombie the last week (sorry for the late reply btw, I can't keep a thought in my head these days) and i don't really know to what extent that's thyroid based. most of the time I'm just too knackered to care. I am so so lethargic, all i can do is eat, sleep and fall over. I don't really have the fight in me to ask for another blood test, so I think I'll just wait the 7 weeks until my next one is due. Fun fun times. Thanks for asking though :)
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    My doctor thinks most of my symptoms are to do with being on the wrong anti-depressants before, and since i started the new ones it's all just got worse which is to be expected to an extent i guess. I've been a walking zombie the last week (sorry for the late reply btw, I can't keep a thought in my head these days) and i don't really know to what extent that's thyroid based. most of the time I'm just too knackered to care. I am so so lethargic, all i can do is eat, sleep and fall over. I don't really have the fight in me to ask for another blood test, so I think I'll just wait the 7 weeks until my next one is due. Fun fun times. Thanks for asking though :)

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I would say everything you are feeling is down to your thyroid, its just a shame most gps dont seem very up on information about it.

Take a look here...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Thyroid-under-active/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

For me, knowing about the symptoms helps me know when i need a retest earlier than planned. Also helps me know WHY i'm feeling so rubbish.