Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to make your favourite dish? Mine "CHAO FAN"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to share this recipe with you and and it would be nice if you share others that you like.
Yang-Zhou-Fried-Rice-plate8.jpg

This is one of my favourite dishes. With a few ingredients and a little time, you can make it!!!

Ingredients:

3-4 eggs (lightly beaten)
salt (to taste)
4 spring onions (scallions), sliced
1 tbsp chopped ginger
3 tbsp vegetable oil
125g cooked lamb, chicken, pork or ham, cut into 1/2 cm cubes
50g green peas, blanched
125g cooked prawns (shrimp), peeled
50g carrot, julienned
1-2 tbsp soy sauce
3 cups cold cooked rice

Method :

Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt, half the spring onions and 1/2 tbsp of the ginger. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a hot wok. Add the eggs and stir fry to a scramble. Remove the eggs from the wok and set aside. Heat the rest of the oil and add the diced cooked meats, peas, prawns and carrot. Stir fry for 1 minute. Stir in the soy sauce and remaining ginger. Add the rice. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes while adding the remaining spring onions and eggs. Heat through and serve hot.

I would like to go to courses like this ones, if somebody has more information please tell me, and check this ones: Fun Cooking courses, or maybe :love: Japanese cooking clase. But this kind of food is also very exotic and interesting too...:yippe:
Thai, malay and indonesian

I´m sure that must be FUN.
Hope to start soon!

Comments

• Options
    That looks awesome! Might give this a go :)
  • Options
    wow..that looks delicious..
    i also like chao fan..i already tried different ingredients with this kind of dish..
  • Options
    and what ingredients have you tried?
  • Options
    Following a conversation on last night's chat, here is my vegetable samosa recipe. Without measurements, I don't do measurements. It's really easy to make, I can do it after all, it's just hard to get your head around the first time so I'm going into lots of detail.

For the filling:
    -Basically a dry veg curry. If you know how to do that, skip straight to the dough. If not:
    -Veg. You can stick whatever veg you want here really, but onion and potato are a bit of a must. I usually stick some carrot, peas and maybe a bit of broccoli in there too. I make it so it's roughly two thirds onion/potato to one third everything else - it stops it being too sweet.

-Mince the onion and chop everything else into uniform pieces, roughly the same size as the peas.

-Spices. I use cumin and coriander powder, turmeric, chilli powder, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. It's basically my own garam masala, but I'm sure the pre-made stuff will work just as well. I have no idea how much you need, thats up to you. You can always tweak it at the end. Remember if you're serving it cold the spices won't be as potent so you should pack some more in there, especially the chili.

- Put your oil on a low heat. Add the spices and leave until they start to fizz and smell lovely. Add the onions and give them a minute to cook, then add the rest of your veg (not the broccoli, it'll turn to mush), and turn in the oil for a few minutes. Keep it moving so your spices don't scorch.

-Add hot veg stock until about two thirds of the contents of the pan is covered (stick the broccoli in now, or in five mins), and simmer until almost all the liquid is gone and you have a small quantity of starchy sauce left. Everything will be cooked by now. I use boullion stock powder- the stuff in a green tub with the orange lid, and it's pretty salty so I don't add salt. Taste it towards the end of cooking to see if you want to put any salt or more spices in there.

(while that's cooking) The dough:
    - It's a simple flour and water dough. Stick some flour in a bowl, add a bit of salt, oil and warm water until it's a soft but not sticky dough. If you're using your hands, put the oil on your hands instead of in the flour so the dough doesn't stick to you. DONT knead it, just make sure its all mixed through. Stick it in the fridge in a plastic bag or bowl until the filling is cooked.

Assembly:
    -Again, very easy, just a bit hard to describe.

-First you need to decide what size you want your samosas. You will need a round stencil like a bowl or a plate, and the finished samosa will end up one sixth of the size of the circle. So it's up to you if you want them snack size or big beasties, and it wont really affect the cooking.

-Roll enough of the dough out until it is about 1-2mm thick. Cut out your circle. Cut your circle into a semi circle. Here comes the hard to describe bit:

-Fold the semi-circle so that the first third is covering the middle third. (I'm struggling to be articulate here but if you imagine your semi-circle as thirty mins on a clock, you're using the first ten mins to cover the second ten.) Gently wipe the folded side with water and fold the remaining third onto it. You should end up with a triangle with one curved side.

- Pick up the dough so the curved side is facing you. It should open up like a little pocket. Put your filling in there and pinch shut. Make sure the samosa is air-tight or it'll spit in the oil.

-Repeat until you've used up all the curry or the dough. If you have too much dough, knead it a lot, roll in into circles and put on a dry heat until it puffs up. You have chapatis! If you have too much filling, chow down and stop complaining.

To Cook:
    -Deep fry in veg oil. If the oil is at the right temperature, when you put in a small crust of bread it should come up to the surface bubbling immediately. That hot :p

-Fry till golden - in about 3 mins. Let it cool down a bit before you eat.

Tah Dah!:yippe:
  • Options
    Thanks a lot!!

I´ll try it as soon as I can.
    Do you have any dessert recipe also?

here I found one...

3435_MEDIUM.jpg

This soft and creamy cheesecake makes a suitably impressive and indulgent end to a dinner party

Difficulty and servings
    Serves 10 - 12

Preparation and cooking times
    Prep 20 mins

Cook 1 hr 40 mins

Vegetarian

Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Line the base of a 23cm springform tin with baking parchment. Whizz the biscuits in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs. Pour in the butter, whizz briefly again, then tip the mixture into the tin and press down firmly. Bake for 10 mins, then cool.
    Reduce oven temperature to 140C/fan 120C/gas 1. Wrap a double layer of foil, lined with cling film, around the base and sides of the tin to make it watertight. Break 400g chocolate into a pan, then pour in the cream and heat until the chocolate has melted. Leave to cool slightly. Rinse the bowl of the processor, then blend the cream cheese, eggs and vanilla essence together with the melted chocolate and cream until smooth.
    Put the tin in a deep roasting tray, then pour in the filling. Half-fill the roasting tray with boiling water, bake for 1 hr, then turn the oven off. Leave to cool in the oven with the door slightly ajar for 1-2 hrs. Lift the cheesecake from the water, discard the foil, then cover with cling film and chill. The cheesecake can be made up to 3 days ahead. Grate the remaining chocolate over the cheesecake before serving.
    For the compote, heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Mix the rhubarb and sugar in an ovenproof dish. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod on top of the rhubarb, then drop in the pod, too. Pour the muscat over, cover with foil, then bake for 30-40 mins, stirring halfway, until the rhubarb is cooked. Leave to cool, then remove the pod. Serve the compote with the cheesecake. The compote can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.

kisses...
  • Options
    My desert recipe:
    -Buy ice cream
    -Eat ice cream
    -Hate yourself for eating so much ice cream
  • Options
    Chinese-takeaway-food-001.jpg

Chinese Takeaway:

1) Pick up phone
    2) Speak verrrry slowly and give your order.
    3) Repeat order until they understand.
    4) Ring up once delivered to tell them they've forgotten 2 dishes.
    5) Eat
  • Options
    hahaha...those recipes are interesting too!!

do you like sushi?