Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Metformin and alcohol?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone had any experience of this and drinking? Or whilst I'm here... any experience at all?

I know that the official line is not to drink... I don't really drink that much, never really have done since I spent like a year not drinking because of other medication, but still.... i've just started uni :p

I really want to get started on it, but am a bit worried about the side effects. Especially when tied in with the drinking...

Meh. :rolleyes:

Edit - I have googled this... so I have read a bit about the drug's interaction with alcohol.. but hmmm.

Comments

• Options
    My nanna takes Metformin and i know she was told not drink because the drug affects how well your kidneys work, i think over a long time it would damge your kidneys

Edit- It might have been the liver actually !!
  • Options
    i dont get hangovers, never have...but when i used to do serious drinking (vodka etc) and take metformin id get hangovers from hell! Seriously not worth it!

But im fine with wine and champagne, no problems!
  • Options
    I didn't have any problems with a drink, but I'd stop taking them a day before a bender
  • Options
    mixing alcohol with a hypoglycaemic agent isn't the safest idea, as alcohol can further lower blood glucose levels.

alcohol is processed by the liver, and the liver helps regulate blood sugar levels, so while the liver is processing alcohol is isn't as able to regulate blood sugar.

if you're going to drink, do it with caution and in moderation - and never on an empty stomach.

good luck!