Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going Veggie- Vitamins/Keeping Healthy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not a huge meater but I have decided that I want to go completely veggie. I am going to finish the food that I have in my freezer and have one last KFC (I love it!!! :yum:) but then not eat meat again.

I am 'slim' as polite people say, but really I'm skinny (5'4" and weigh less than 8 stone, wear size 6-8 clothes) which I hate but I've always been like it and can never put on weight. People have lately told me how healthy I look and that I use to always look really pale but now I have a healthier glow. What I'm worried about is how much it might affect me by not eating meat? I mainly eat chicken so I'm not talking about going from a huge meat eater to not eating meat at all, I already use alot of quorn mince and chicken pieces in cooking rather than the real thing. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to keep healthy? Like what vitamins to buy?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you have a healthy balanced (veggie or non-veggie) diet you shouldn't need to buy vitamins. That said I do :p

I'm trying to think of how to answer your question, maybe investing in a good veggie cookbook could help you (I've got loads but find the Rose Elliott Express cookbook one of the most useful) for ideas of what to eat once you are veggie.

I've been veggie for over 20 years now and have never wished I wasn't. I really hope you like being veggie as much as I do. :d
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    Hi Fruit Loop,

As Randomgirl said you can have a healthy diet with all the necessary nutrients being vegetarian, you may just need to make sure you keep it varied and include lots of different types of foods. For example, if you’re not eating meat you’ll need to make sure you’re getting protein and iron from other sources. Pulses such as beans, lentils and chickpeas are great sources of protein as are nuts and seeds. Pulses are also a good source of iron, again so are nuts and seeds (especially pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and pistachio nuts) so be sure to include lots of these in meals and snacks (as long as you don’t have a nut allergy!).

If you chose to also exclude fish from your diet you’ll also need to make sure you’re getting enough Omega 3 – which is an essential dietary requirement. Omega 3 can be found in flaxseeds and walnuts so you can always add these to cereal or salads.

And, which goes for everyone, you should try and include lots of fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet to ensure you are getting a balanced diet.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Lilzo :thumb: