Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

H&M dress sizes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Outrageous. Went in there to buy a pair of jeans today and according to their sizing, I'm a size 16. With a 28 inch waist, is that really appropriate sizing? Really scares me that teeny little teenage girls are going in there and coming out thinking they're much bigger than they are. It hit me pretty hard and I'm savvy enough to know that it's all bullcrap - how can they get away with that kind of rubbish when it could have such an effect on young girls?

Comments

• Options
    It is rubbish...but this is why I don't bother buying jeans/trousers from there, just waaay too depressing :crying:
  • Options
    i think its just different items are sized differently. Its annoying. I can vary by up to 3 sizes in that shop, depending on what I buy. Same for new look and topshop
  • Options
    no, its not :no:

unfortunately now though, the sizing in most shops is completed screwed up. recently, i bought an adult looking item (before anyone says anything! haha!) of clothing made for a child aged 14. i'm a grown woman with D cup boobs and it fit. now something aint quite right there is it?! what size i am depends on where i shop. i am different sizes everywhere. its ridiculous.

with a size 28 inch waist, you most certainly are not a size 16. i think thats a size 10 isn't it? i'm not completely sure. i really wouldn't worry about it though especially when it comes to jeans. i don't get jean sizes at all. why are the sizes based on your waist size when they have to get past your hips first?!

i could never fit into a pair of jeans based on my waist size! my waist is small but my hips and arse are mahoosive! i'm a bit pear shaped.

jeans shopping really upsets me because i have a thing with numbers. i hate buying anything above a certain size so simply don't do it. i just wear dresses and skirts instead :D i only have 2 pairs of jeans that fit me! thats enough!!!! jeans shopping is tooooooooo stressful.

don't let it get to you. sizing is really messed up :heart:
  • Options
    I've read a few articles over the past couple of years which say that 'the average dress size in the UK is such-and-such'. The last one I remember reading said it was a 16. Does that mean a size 16 or does that mean me? How do they work things like that out when it's all over the place?
  • Options
    I agree that it could have a negative effect on certain people. It is so annoying how sizes vary so much from shop to shop. I am tiny (usually a size 6-8) but when I was maid of honour at my friends wedding last year I fit perfectly into a size 12 dress :yeees: So imagine how big a size someone who is usually a 12 would need- and what that could could do to their self esteem! Rediculous!!
  • Options
    In Topshop size 16 is 32 inch waist.
  • Options
    i hate H&M sizing but i've pretty much just accepted that i will be a size bigger in there than i actually am. iv never bought trousers or jeans from there though, only tops and dresses.

the worst place i think is Zara, in the 'back bit' i call it ha, i think its the slightly younger TRF range, their sizes are S, M and L and i cant fit into a Large despite only being a size 12. it actually does make me feel really fat and disappointed because they have lots of nice stuff there! booo.
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    p. I am tiny (usually a size 6-8) but when I was maid of honour at my friends wedding last year I fit perfectly into a size 12 dress :yeees: So imagine how big a size someone who is usually a 12 would need- and what that could could do to their self esteem! Rediculous!!

I had this when I was a bridesmaid I am a size 14 - 16 (probs more a 16) and had a size 22 dress, was proper pissed off at it! so imagine what that would do a teenager!
  • Options
    I fell out with H&M when I tried on a pair of size 16 maternity jeans and they were too tight. This was when I was still just about managing to shoehorn myself into size 8 Topshop mat jeans, and I generally find Topshop pretty snug on the jeans sizing. I don't even dare take my wobbly post-child self in there now.

That said, I think the problem isn't with tiny sizes, but with our perception of what a desirable size is. If you've even bought vintage clothes you'll know that sizes are generally getting bigger and bigger. But while people used to aspire to be a size 10/12, now the glossies are telling us we should be a 6. Pfff.
  • Options
    h&m is possibly my worst shop size-wise. every item seems to be different, i have tops from there in the same size that are too big in some cases and too small in others. the size on the label seems to be irrelevant to the size of the actual item. i just hold things up against me, ask my helpful shopping buddy if it looks the right size, and if it is, buy it, regardless of what's on the label. because what's on the label is seemingly completely random.
  • Options
    I have discovered Bravissimo. Their range is limited, but I'm a size 14RC (for Really Curvy) whereas everywhere else the size of my bust means I have to buy size 20-22 shirts with my size 14-16 trousers.

The problem is that they have to size for the average, so if you're an unusual shape it's impossible.

I've had the same problem with H&M. I'm a size 31" waist and I have a pair of 34" waist H&M jeans that are a little tight.
  • Options
    Okay I am basically the same way, but....I bought a Large sized dressed and it is wayyyyy to big. The girl told me a size large is better way to go :S
  • Options
    this is exactly why i avoid H&M like the plague! It's ridiculous
  • Options
    I bought shirts from there once and they fit just fine, but both fell apart after perhaps 2 washes... and they weren't any cheaper in price than other stores...and thats what keeps me away :p
  • Options
    The real problem with places like H&M is that in order to keep the prices down, they skimp as much as possible on the fabric. Whereas better quality brands allow for a little 'ease' in garments so they fit real human beings, cheaper brands have to use either really cheap fabric with no seam allowance (which means they tend to fall apart quicker) or make the clothes as small as they can get away with (so they will only fit their own mannequins).
  • Options
    The real problem with places like H&M is that in order to keep the prices down, they skimp as much as possible on the fabric. Whereas better quality brands allow for a little 'ease' in garments so they fit real human beings, cheaper brands have to use either really cheap fabric with no seam allowance (which means they tend to fall apart quicker) or make the clothes as small as they can get away with (so they will only fit their own mannequins).

I'd say the reason that the clothes are sized small is because H&M is a European brand. European women tend to be smaller than us Brits, so the clothes are sized accordingly. You generally find the same in places like Zara and its continental buddies.

Doesn't make it any easier on the ego, though!
  • Options
    I was wearing some good fitting H&M trousers the other day and so went to try on two more pairs, all of which were supposedly the same size. One pair was about 2 inches too big, the other was too tight. Kind of stupid!

But, I do love H&M so am willing to forgive them... although I don't think their online shop will be a success... because how the hell am I meant to know what size to buy?!?! Standardisation is needed me thinks!