Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wireless problem on my new netbook

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new netbook (it's a Samsung N140), and it's lovely but it has a small problem connecting to the internet. When I am in the same room as the router, it's fine and I'm happy enough, but as soon as I'm outside the door it disconnects. This isn't a massive problem for me when I'm at home but I'm about to go to uni and I'm pretty sure I can't ask the college to move the router into my room...

If anyone has any ideas, that would be grand. It's not a problem with the network, because the other computers in the house all pick up networks from our neighbours but this one doesn't. We've spoken to O2 and they don't know, and at the moment my dad won't let me call the tech support that came with my laptop because it's an 0870 number (sigh).

So.....?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    When you're in the other room, if you look at the available networks does the one you want to connect to appear? If so, what does it show its signal strength to be?

I think it's most likely that the wifi device of this netbook isn't "strong" enough to find the router. This might be normal for it or it could just be faulty, but you wouldn't know that without speaking to a technician (or sending an e-mail).
    Of course it might be the other way around: The router isn't strong enough to reach other rooms. Which would mean that other routers would work fine.
  • Options
    Picolo, I have found the non-geographic version of your 0870 number. Sammy can be contacted on 0330 7267864 and it's the same rate as 01 and 02 numbers. The number I've given you is specifically for Sammy notebooks.

Sammy's "contact us" page - http://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus.html

All about 0330 numbers - https://numberstore.com/view/0330-numbers
  • Options
    Check what WiFi channel the Netbook is on compared to what WiFi channel the other PCs are on, it might be on a channel with a weaker signal than the other PCs. What OS is your Netbook running?

The other PCs being able to detect your neighbors wireless network doesn't really prove much about the range of your own wireless network, but if you Netbook can detect these more remote networks it would prove that the Netbook's wireless card is good.
  • Options
    You can tweak with either your wi-fi settings or your netbook connection settings. Its probably easiest to try increasing the strength of your router and making sure that your SSID is not hidden, see if that helps it, and as said above you could always try a different channel for your wifi to increase the signal strength. You might just have a netbook thats a bit dodgy receiving a signal.