Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hello baby, goodbye friends

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
:wave:

Stacey felt let down by her closest mates when she fell pregnant. Anyone got any thoughts about this from either side of the fence?

http://www.thesite.org/community/reallife/rants/babygoodbye

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    happiest moments of Staceys life.

and a close relatives death

your baby didnt get hers
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

your baby didnt get hers

what?
  • Options
    what?

That's what I first thought lol, but Katralla is doing that thing where she posts all the missing apostrophes....
  • Options
    what?

Punctuation!

Took me ages to figure it out :blush:
  • Options
    Just the missing apostrophes, they get stripped out and have to be put back in manually once the copy gets turned into a webpage, and a few always get missed off.

I don't really have much to say about the content, apart from that it rings true with me.
  • Options
    That's what I first thought lol, but Katralla is doing that thing where she posts all the missing apostrophes....

I can't help it, they just jump out at me when I'm trying to read.
  • Options
    that's really sad. i wouldnt abandon one of my friends if she were pregnant. i do feel bad though because i lost contact with a mate (she went off to uni etc) and she got pregnant so had to drop out. just made contact again recently. she seems okay and happy but after the few catch-ups we've had i can see that single motherdom is hard. but it's good we've hooked up again, her little girl is 18 months, beyond cute and looks a lot like her :)
  • Options
    It happens. And I get it, from both sides. Fact is, you DO change when you have kids, whether you like it or not. There are some of my friends that I see a lot less now, and it's not cause they're awful, awful people, it's cause they simply do not care what colour my baby's poo is today, or how much weight she's gained in the last 26 minutes, or how long she's sleeping for, and these things account for the majority of my conversations at the moment because these things account for the vast majority of my days at the moment!

I think effort needs to be made on both sides. Sometimes I've seen people have babies and lose all their friends, but it's because the friends have tried, but every time they suggest meeting up, or just popping round, the baby always manages to throw a spanner in it. There are only so many times people will listen to 'my priorities are different now', or the immortal, 'you don't have kids, you wouldn't understand' before they decide it's actually not worth it.

All that said, IMO the ranter's problem seems to be that her friends are arseholes, rather than the fact that her baby is driving them away. My non-kiddy friends have at least feigned interest in my daughter before starting to not invite me out anymore.
  • Options
    ^^^ This.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katralla wrote: »

your baby didnt get hers

:thumb:
  • Options
    Babies are like poems: they're beautiful to their creator, but to other people, they're silly and they're irritating. - Doug Stanhope.
  • Options
    i think some friendships drift apart because some people turn into colossal baby bores the minute they get pregnant.
  • Options
    i think some friendships drift apart because some people turn into colossal baby bores the minute they get pregnant.

I'm lucky that I've never experienced this from friends. Yes, they do talk about their children; but they do (thankfully) talk about things too.
  • Options
    Saw the thread title and thought Helen was off on maternity leave!