Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Which mobile phone brand is best?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Got the HTC Wildfire

Nice phone!!

Battery is lasting more than one day at the moment.

I do have one question. If I put a screen protector on, will it affect the touchscreen when I press on it?

Oooo I have this phone :P

I have a screen protector on and is just fine :d
  • Options
    Anyone know when the new Android 2.2 is out???

A guy at my work said that 2.2 is already out and he managed to update his phone to it. Any idea how you update the OS? Mine is still 2.1.
  • Options
    Purplestarfish
    Thanks. Think I'll try without it for a bit first and see if I really need a protector on.

Monserrat
    I'll have a look for the update. Mine is still 2.1 too.
    OS?? I guess you mean Firmware/Android version?

Any idea how to add music to the phone from the PC?
    Also which option to choose on the phone, either 'Disk drive' or 'Mobile network sharing' ?

I notice I have a System Software update. Think I might install it.
  • Options
    It should be mass storage, so it'll appear in the My Computer dialogue of Windows as a lettered volume.

There are two ways to update the OS, either by downloading and installing the over-the-air updates provided by the mobile operator, or by downloading custom ROMs on to your PC and flashing them to the phone's memory. For more on the latter, see www.xda-developers.com
  • Options
    Worked it out. But theres no such thing as Mass Storage on the phone.
  • Options
    Usually android will be updated for a particular handset as per each networks decision to provide it.
  • Options
    Last week I bought a brand new LG phone delivered to my door for a total of £5 with £3.50 cash back = £1.50 - it's locked to O2 but the battery lasts for 17 days on standby - something that no smart phone can ever compete with

- I bought the phone literally to give to relatives that come from abroad to visit so we can call them on it or they can call us.

- You've not said anything of your budget - an iPhone will set you back £500 to £800 over the life of it's contract but you'll get the widest choice of Apps

A phone can be as cheap as you want or as expensive as you want.

My every day phone is a Nokia 5230 which you can get for around £70 PAYG and has a GPS with the maps of the world for free and best of all you can pull off the back cover and throw in a new battery anytime you want unlike an iPhone.

I have 2 spare batteries bought for a few quid on ebay so I can travel for days without needing to carry a charger with me.

There's very few apps for my phone and most of them are pretty rubbish but the core of the phone is pretty good and the free maps which are kept on a memory card means I can travel abroad and not worry about expensive data charges to use the GPS.

You have to decide what features are important to you - for me battery life is very important - and I like having the option to to carry spare batteries with me. GPS is also important to me and Nokia are the only company so far giving you maps of almost every country in the world for free that you can store on a memory card, most others require you to have constant internet access to use their mapping solutions.
  • Options
    My phone battery lasted for 2 while on airplane mode, since I had no signal where I was staying in Scotland last week.