Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dying hair black

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if i'll do it yet but i have some questions:

1. Im assuming i can put it straight on to my hair as it is, i dont have to bleach it first?

2. When i want to go to a different colour (natural or otherwise) i have to bleach it first right and then put the other colour on?

3. Is getting hair bleached etc expensive?

Comments

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that bleach alone wouldn't get rid of the black! I went from brunette to blonde again a few years ago and had to have my hair stripped and then slowly build up the blond highlights...even then there was still traces of brown. Plus my hair was in such a state, dry and brittle and horrible :crying: :crying: It cost me £170 to get my hair put back to normal, so that included stripping and then highlights and treatment...never again! :no:

So really do think about it!
  • Options
    What colour is your hair atm? If its darkish you could dye it semi-permanently.
  • Options
    What colour is your hair atm? If its darkish you could dye it semi-permanently.

Ohh, you can get a nice semi permanent really dark, dark brown that almost black and see how that looks. That way it will wash out and fade after 28 washes
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Ohh, you can get a nice semi permanent really dark, dark brown that almost black and see how that looks. That way it will wash out and fade after 28 washes

:yes:

When I was a bit younger I died it semi-permanently black, and it lasted quite a long time :) And completely washed out eventually.

I recently bought a permanent black hair dye but decided against using it :p Sticking with reddy brown.
  • Options
    Im between a sort of reddy brown and my natural colour which is brown. I just want to go for a more classic colour so i might go for the semi permanent dark brown to start and see how that goes.

Ive been reading up on all the bleaching and stuff that black hair needs and its put me off.
  • Options
    Im also one of those 'dyed my hair black and totally regretted it when I tried to get rid of the black' people.
    One of my mates tried to strip the dye at home and ended up with uneven spots of colour everywhere. But mines never got striped. They just cut off loads of my hair and put some brown through it, which made it look a lot less shit as I had to grow the black out :/
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Not sure if i'll do it yet but i have some questions:

1. Im assuming i can put it straight on to my hair as it is, i dont have to bleach it first?

2. When i want to go to a different colour (natural or otherwise) i have to bleach it first right and then put the other colour on?

3. Is getting hair bleached etc expensive?

if you want to go black you don't need to put bleach on your hair. Bleach is only if you want to drastically lighten your hair.
  • Options
    if you want to go black you don't need to put bleach on your hair. Bleach is only if you want to drastically lighten your hair.

She means if she dyes her hair black, she wants to know if she wants it back brown after that, will she have to bleach it.
  • Options
    oh i see.
    Not necessarily, hydrogen peroxide :yes: