Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to have in a first aid kit?

I had a whiz on TheSite itself and found an article on how to administer first aid to certain injuries (here). Does anyone know of a must-have list of items to include in the kit? I'm thinking of either buying one already compiled or putting it together myself. Once we've had suggestions on this thread, perhaps we could add it to the health/wellbeing section of TheSite? Then if we have it in the home or in student digs, wall-mount it or have it in a drawer with a notepad, list what's in there, strike them off as they get used and restock ASAP.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Gloves
    Plasters
    Sterile dressings - different sizes.
    Cleansing wipes
    Sterile eye pads
    Triangular bandage

^^ I'd say those are the essentials.

However in mine I also have:
    Face shield
    Roller bandages
    Safety pins
    Tape
    Notepad + pen

And in my outdoorsy one, I have:
    A tubular bandage
    Blister plasters
    Whistle
    Survival bag
    Plus any medication. Think I have hydrocortisone cream, paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Hope I haven't missed anything :)
  • Options
    I only stock plasters... if that...
  • Options
    I was going to say ibuprofen. Plus rennies which is good for tummy upset / acid. Probably add TCP antiseptic + cotton wool before bandaging certain cuts? I was also thinking Optrex eye bath but perhaps the sterile eye pads are equivalent? Thanks for the input guys, and no thanks to Sir spam-a-lot Andrews :-)
  • Options
    Scissors? Personally, I wouldn't use plasters - just medical tape and dressing pads.

I would also have:
    Antiseptic cream
    Bandages
    Antihistamines
  • Options
    Contents of a first aid kit will depend on the types of emergency you think you are most likely to encounter. Mine includes:

Melonin non-stick dressing pads and surgical tape
    Self-adhesive butterfly closures (useful for deep cuts)

Re painkillers
    - ibruprofen serves as an anti-inflamatory as well as a pain-killer but can upset the stomach
    - paracetamol is good for fever as well as a pain-killer and is kind to the stomach, but great care must be taken not to overdose as so many flu/cold remedies include paracetamol
    - aspirin acts as a blood thinner as well as a pain-killer. This makes aspirin unsuitable in the case of physical injury, but very useful (especially in a soluable form) if you come across anyone suffering from angina or having a heart attack.
  • Options
    Self-adhesive butterfly closures (useful for deep cuts)

Oh yeah, forgot about these. MEGA useful. Had to use them on DofE for something... I would explain the story, but I swear its so rediculous that I'd become instantly identifiable to anyone who knew me :p But yeah, after that 'incident', definitely worth it :P
  • Options
    Tweezers.
    Salt, so you can make a flushing solution for skin/eyes.
  • Options
    Rehydration salts are good for diarrhea, sickness (and hangovers ;) )