Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

bok bok bagawkkk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
thought you guys might appreciate a photo of my current situation:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2930/sdc15182i.jpg

maj is ill! :( she hasn't been laying for a few days and i noticed she had a bloody vent (bum) yesterday. did a lot of googling and it seemed she had an egg stuck up there. so gave her a warm bath which seemed to be soothing for her sore botty and erm.. rubbed some vaseline on that..area whilst my mum's boyfriend held her still and kept telling me to stick my finger up her arse :sour: i just couldnt go there no matter how many chicken experts said so on the internet...

(might be a bit graphic if you're eating...)
no egg or shell came out so took her to the vets. she really is in a sorry way. they couldnt figure out what was wrong and felt no egg inside of her. it could be that an egg has broken inside of her and the shell is causing the blood or it could be perotinitus. her bum looks really sore and kinda pulsates. the vets said it seems to be linked to her breathing because the pulsating goes in time. she is worryingly thin too wich i kicked myself for not having noticed sooner. but apparently chickens can actually fake eating. so they dont appear vulnerable and in a poor way to the other chicken. the vet gave us antibiotics for her, a bit of pain relief and wormer just incase. so she is all medded up at the moment. she told us to see how she goes and it's worth a shot. she needs a lot of tlc right now and has to be kept seperate from her sis. hence bathtub fun.

i am hopeful though. since last night she has eaten 2x corn on the cob, meal worm crumbs, weetabix made mushy with warm water and some marmite on toast as well as drinking and eating the regular chicken pellets. fingers crossed for maj :heart:

she says hai. check out the weetabix on her little beaky http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1403/sdc15184.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bless her :)

I thought you were going to post a photo of her bum with or without your fingers up it.

I hope she gets better soon.
  • Options
    Awwww, get well soon Maj!!!

Clem, let us know how she gets on :)
    xxxx
  • Options
    Brings a whole new meaning to chicken fingers !
  • Options
    will do :) thanks.

asking on the eglu forum now if there is anything else i should be doing.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Get well soon, Maj! :)
  • Options
    update: after stinking out the bathroom for a good few days, putting some weight on and generally perking up we decided to put her back in the coop with maz today. no good. maz decided in a not very sisterly way to peck her pulsating bum and make it bleed. so now maz is in the shed in shame and maj can have free run of the coop. vet is ringing back soon, she's started wheezing a bit and her bum/vent area is still pulsating. she had a warm bath today because we found her straining over the next box but still no egg. she is eating though and pooing but her poops are green...

feeling quite sad about it, going to ask the vet if she thinks that she is in any pain. i hate to think of her in pain but she really did seem to perk up. i know this sounds selfish but i get worried everytime i go to check on her or if there is a bang from her tipping over the food bowl. i dont want to witness her die or anything. if the vet thinks we should take her in to put her down then i really dont want to go.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    :( I hope she gets better.
  • Options
    me too. vet still hasnt rang back after a few prompts. gonna leave it till tomorrow now. as strange as it sounds, i've just put sudocrem on her bum after being advised to do so by someone on the chicken forum i use. it makes sense i guess if it's sore :) hopefully that relieves it a bit.