Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Battle of Britain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We are currently in the middle of the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain - but apparently few young people these days know what it is all about - so i just wondered out of curiosity how many of you knew what it was all about.

Comments

• Options
    Me me me.
  • Options
    Me too! :yes:
  • Options
    no idea
  • Options
    Me
  • Options
    no idea

Really? - surely its the sort of thing ones grandparents went on about
  • Options
    Christ, has Cowell's talent show format been going that long?
  • Options
    Yeah, I know what it is but then I'm 40. I'm not sure how many of the kids using this forum would have the benefit I did of being able to ask my grandparents about what they did in the war and what effect it had on them. I also have/had Aunts and Uncles who were old enough at the time to remember the dogfights etc and were able to tell me all those stories.

If anything it's those insights which make me realise just how lucky we really are to live in these times.

As an aside, I just as worried about the fact that VJ day goes past every year without the same fanfare as VE/D-Day etc. But the maybe that's because my Dad's uncle died in that part of the conflict.
  • Options
    I know :)
  • Options
    I know too, but not sure if I count as a young person!

Like MoK, my grandparents lived through the war, and I heard all their stories first hand, so for me it's a lot closer than stories in history books.
  • Options
    i dont know what it is. but im going to google it now :p
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Wyetry wrote: »
    but apparently few young people these days know what it is all about - so i just wondered out of curiosity how many of you knew what it was all about.

It's a dodgy pub down the road where my mate had her 14th birthday party. ;)
  • Options
    I know what it is :D

Slightly off topic - I don't think we get taught enough British history at school these days. I have no clue when it comes to Kings, Queens, Prime ministers and I think that is a shame. I know a bit about Britain involved in wars, but only the same amount as the other powers involved.

I studied Hitler mostly for GCSE. Did do medicine through time as well which covered some British discoveries oh and I also did a bit of coursework on Jack the Ripper :d . But that really isn't much :rolleyes:

Before that I remember learning about how the government works/worked. Along with the tudors when I was in primary school. Oh and I did some stuff on the Black Death and the Plague.

Hmmm.
  • Options
    I thought that everyone, young and old knows about the two World Wars. The "Battle of Britain" is also the name of a film that I enjoyed.
  • Options
    i dont know
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    It's a dodgy pub down the road where my mate had her 14th birthday party. ;)

So you're what................26 now? :heart:
  • Options
    what, you mean when we gave the gerries a right good thrashing when we were massively outnumbered?

that battle of britain yeah? :chin:

:d
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I thought that everyone, young and old knows about the two World Wars

I know quite a lot about WW2, cause I've heard the stories, but knew chuff all about the First World War until I googled it. All I knew before was that there were trenches and we won :blush:
  • Options
    Apparently the BBC news guy doesn't know, he did a piece on the 65th anniversary of the BoB this morning :P
  • Options
    Yea but because i was / am a bit of a history boff especially with ww2 planes and stuff. Not as smart as a lot but I'm into it.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    G wrote: »
    So you're what................26 now? :heart:

:d
  • Options
    If History lessons in this country are to be believed, the UK formed as a nation in the year 1066 following the Battle of Hastings. After that, nothing happened for over 400 years until Henry VII took charge in 1485. Things got very exciting between 1509 and 1547 during the reign of Henry VIII - the man would have been a tabloid newspaper editor's wet dream come true. Once he died, nothing happened again until World War 1 started in 1914, which was quickly followed by Adolf Hitler and the Nazis rising to power.

There was also a load of guff about how all white people should feel guilty about slavery, drilled into us by a teacher who could barely conceal her views on the subject.

Strangely enough, the Battle of Britain never mentioned. And because it was never mentioned, one can only conclude it never happened.

Well, that's how education seems to work in this country...
  • Options
    Seems like everyone else either had shit history lessons or didn't pay attention, we covered of British history from the tudors to at least when William of Orange took over (if not later, I just cant remember now). And that was just in one term.

We also did world war 1 and 2 extensively going into all the politics and world arena, and stuff like bloody sunday / northern ireland and other mini topics like that that had less of a global context but were looked at in a case study kind of way.
  • Options
    In Austria you probably make 3-4 years of history just ww2. go figure. Had enough of it.

Don't know much about ww1, mainly because history bore the crap out of me and was always my worst grade.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    If History lessons in this country are to be believed, the UK formed as a nation in the year 1066 following the Battle of Hastings. After that, nothing happened for over 400 years until Henry VII took charge in 1485. Things got very exciting between 1509 and 1547 during the reign of Henry VIII - the man would have been a tabloid newspaper editor's wet dream come true. Once he died, nothing happened again until World War 1 started in 1914, which was quickly followed by Adolf Hitler and the Nazis rising to power.

There was also a load of guff about how all white people should feel guilty about slavery, drilled into us by a teacher who could barely conceal her views on the subject.

Strangely enough, the Battle of Britain never mentioned. And because it was never mentioned, one can only conclude it never happened.

Well, that's how education seems to work in this country...

*sigh*

The problem with history is that there is so much to cover and only a finite amount of time in which to cover it. And that's just the history of the UK. Some people have dedicated their whole lives to periods of just a few years, or a single event or monarch so how can we possibly hope to do the entirety of UK history justice in a few hours a week over the course of a few years?

So we're faced with a choice:
    - do a whistlestop tour of UK history starting with the Romans / the Icenae (sp?) and ending in the present day, meaning you'll get a rough idea of the past 3,000 or so years of British history but will be hard pressed for details
    - cover a few key areas in depth, most likely focussing in on the areas that had major influence on the UK. As a bit of an armchair history buff, I'd say (and this is far from exhaustive): Norman Conquest, Magna Carta, Wars of the Roses, Dissolution of the Monasteries, Civil War, Empire & Expansion, Battle of Britain - and that's before you get into anything relevant that happened outside of the British Isles that had a bearing on it - American War of Independence, Napoleonic Wars, Indian Mutiny, Crimea, The Afghan Wars, Opium Wars, WW1, WW2, colonial independece (bit of a war theme I know)

Basically, there's shitloads of it. So no school course could possibly hope to do the whole of British history justice. I'd personally favour the second option - a few topics in depth, but can see both sides of the argument.
  • Options
    I think most British people don't know, nor care, about our history. Which in a way is sad, since most Americans know a lot about theirs. They know about the war of 1812 when we couldn't give a poo really.

The Battle of Britain was the first aerial battle in history, and Hitler wanted to destroy the UK's air force prior to invading. Germany lost the Battle of Britain and did not invade, and invaded the USSR and Stalin instead.

I guess the English Civil War, Seven Years War, the American Revolution, Napoleonic Wars. Corn Laws, Reform Acts and the Boer War were nothing. ;)

I sound like a history geek, so i'll shut up now.
  • Options
    My history lessons mainly covered Egyptology, the Vikings, Hastings 1066, Victorian era, modern crime evidence, gov't vs monarchy (Civil War), Roman Empire, medieval warfare and Henry VIII. Neither WW1 nor WW2 were in the syllabus, but I just thought that it was common knowledge. If no one in the family have told you, then simply watch Allo Allo, Fawlty Towers and Black Adder (war series) for the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure that everyone writing in this thread have seen a Spitfire for real. Unmistakable sound, even for me as a hearing aid wearer. If you know any 80+ elderly, I'm sure they'll have war stories for you too. I'm surprised at the lack of awareness being expressed here at the moment.
  • Options
    I know, but was never taught in school. I'm a bit of a world war 2 geek though.

We learnt loads about the lead up to WWII, and a little about britain after, but nowt about the actual conflict, and that was only if you took the standard grade. First and second year seemed to be nothing but the highland clearances and the american civil libertys movement
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    I think most British people don't know, nor care, about our history. Which in a way is sad, since most Americans know a lot about theirs. They know about the war of 1812 when we couldn't give a poo really.

But the war of 1812 was a pretty major event for the US, for the UK its a side campaign to the Napoleonic.
  • Options
    I know, but was never taught in school. I'm a bit of a world war 2 geek though.

We learnt loads about the lead up to WWII, and a little about britain after, but nowt about the actual conflict,

When i was in school they said that WWII was too complicated to learn so we missed it out - i am also a world war 2 geek though as well - but i'm pretty sure that children still played dogfights in the playground when i was at school so i thought it was just part of the national conscience as it were.
  • Options
    kira wrote: »

The Battle of Britain was the first aerial battle in history, and Hitler wanted to destroy the UK's air force prior to invading. Germany lost the Battle of Britain and did not invade, and invaded the USSR and Stalin instead.

First aerial campaign, im sure there had been aerial battles before this.