Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

rattling noise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My laptop has been making odd, rattle noises. Not that often, say every few days and just once or twice, not continuous.

Any ideas what it could be? It's quite loud but doesn't last long. Nothing else seems to happen except the noise. It sounds like something has come loose inside - but it hasn't, as far as I know it is just a noise.

Not too sure what to do as it doesn't happen that often.

Comments

• Options
    Fan, or the hard drive. Difficult to diagnose without hearing it. Clean the dust out - if the noise persists, look at getting your data backed-up sharpish...
  • Options
    Thanks :) Could be the fan I guess as my computer does get VERY hot. Will get everything backed up though. If it's the hard drive, can it be fixed? Should I take it somewhere to get looked at anyway?
  • Options
    If it's the hard drive, it'll be a swap. If it's the fan, then the chances are that a good clean out(vacuum one end of the heatsink, compressed air blowing through the fan too) should sort it.

Hard drives are pretty simple to swap, if you have some well-fitting screwdrivers. Couple of screws for the cover, less than 4 to get the caddy out, and maybe 4 securing it to the caddy. It's a doddle. :)

What make/model is the laptop?
  • Options
    Also Kat - the age of the laptop, and whether it is still under warranty?
  • Options
    It's an advent 9215, about two years old. Not sure about the warranty...

Pretty sure I pay money every month for er.. something? Possibly for it to get fixed if it goes wrong? Will have to get the paperwork out.
    Have put everything I absolutely need on a memory pen, just in case.

Not too sure about attempting to fix it myself... Also not too sure if it is the fan as it now rattles most times I turn it on.
  • Options
    Ah. Advent is to PC World what Matsui was to Dixons - it's their own-brand stuff.

Excluding the CD/DVD drive, there are only two components that actually physically move - the fan on the heatsink, and the hard drive. There is little else in there to rattle.

If it is the hard drive, they aren't too difficult to physically swap. A replacement drive should be under £50 - I think I paid £46 for a 320gb 2.5" from PC World recently. Labour at somewhere like PC World would likely bump the cost up noticeably...
  • Options
    I didn't realise Advent was PC World's own brand. Does that mean it's shit?! Normally I would just take it to PC World and get them to sort it but they charge so much and aren't the quickest.

Maybe I'll take it to an independent place and see what they think first.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote: »
    Pretty sure I pay money every month for er.. something? Possibly for it to get fixed if it goes wrong? Will have to get the paperwork out.
    Have put everything I absolutely need on a memory pen, just in case.

Check your last bank statement or log onto your online banking. See what comes out on a direct debit. It's fairly essential to remember what warranty/plan your appliances are under. Not just the computer but fridge, cooker, and there is usually a short guarantee period for plumbing work and a longer guarantee period if you've had double-glazed windows fitted. Once you know where you stand with PC World, I would have the machine checked out there. If you take it to an independent shop, they will charge you for an assessment even if you don't elect to have it repaired there. In some places, assessment can be as costly as the repair. If you are no longer covered by PC World, then by all means, have it checked out independently.

Well done for getting your data backed up on the memory stick :thumb:

And is PC World "shit"? Maybe 9 or 10 years ago from what I've heard by word-of-mouth. My own experiences with PC World have been fine.
  • Options
    Thanks :) Honestly can't remember what I agreed to about warranty/paying monthly for that kind of thing so will find out first thing tomorrow. Remember discussing it with them - usually agree but not too sure....

To be fair, my experience with PC World the shop has always been good, my experience with the Tech Guys or whoever it is you phone for advice has been terrible.

Thing is, I really need my laptop this week which is why I'm hesitant to take it in. But guess it's best to take it in asap and get it sorted rather than do nothing and it all goes wrong?
  • Options
    I can't really comment, as I'm years out of the loop. A decade ago, they were very much cheap tat compared to the known brands. These days, I genuinely couldn't answer.

If it is the hard drive - and it's speculation, TBH - then once noisy, they can fail at any time, which would leave you without the use of the machine. You're probably nowhere near, but I live in the same town as Monserrat if you're near and you'd like an honest opinion. :)