Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Evolution: A point to discuss

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Technology's advancements will benefit us all. For example: I see the genetic engineering of crops as a good thing. Prince Charles trying to ban genetically modified foods? What a cock head! With support and funding... crops could be developed to grow in poor hot conditions such as starving third world countries. Hence, enough food for the hungry masses! Rejoice, technology saves millions of lives.

Technology is of benefit to everything, and is expanding way in advance of evolution. Technology makes us stronger, we could survive without it as a species, but we wouldn't be having any fun.

The point is, expanding technology has pros and cons for evolution; You see, people can travel and reproduce anywhere on the globe, mixing genes well, which is good for evolution! Variation is the spice of life. However...

New medical developments, cures and medicine help the unfittest to survive. We won't develop as technology decreases the "survival of the fittest" law. We all live longer and reproduce, perhaps hindering our potential as a species. The weak no longer die, technology keeps us all alive.

This is a brilliant topic!
  • Options
    Originally posted by munkey_mel
    Dont be so rediculous! Because of our technological advancement, we now know more OF more practical skills wether we practice them or not. We have the knowlege to determine what is bad for us and what will help us to survive so without Technology we could survive...simply because we have had it!

A very good point. Some technology is good, and can indeed help us to survive without it by giving us the knowledge. I would not doubt that the medical advances we have made, as well as scientific research into such areas helps us to evolve. Even TV has a role to play here - it can tell us these things.

But the vast majoirty of technology does not do this. Turn on the TV and flip through the channels at almost any given time and you will be confronted by 5 different types of shit. The most popular programmes, such as eastenders, are insulting to anyones intelligence. They encourage people not to think.

To help prove my point. Lets take the USA. The most technologically advanced country in the world. I think most people here would agree that they are nearer the bottom end of the list when it comes to surviving on ones own wits.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

We should have a much lower standard of living based purely on the reasoning that it would be easier to adapt to a cataclysmic event that has no guarantee of happening ever? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that. As I said before, I embrace all this technology. I love it. I just think it would be better if we didn't depend on it. That doesn't neccersarily mean giving it all up.

I think Kirk made an excellent observation, which made me think of something else
    :
    New medical developments, cures and medicine help the unfittest to survive. We won't develop as technology decreases the "survival of the fittest" law. We all live longer and reproduce, perhaps hindering our potential as a species. The weak no longer die, technology keeps us all alive.

Technology nowadays means that it is no longer the fittest who survive... surely this in itself disproves Darwins Theory of Evolution?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way

Technology nowadays means that it is no longer the fittest who survive... surely this in itself disproves Darwins Theory of Evolution?

Not really; the fitter are more likely to survive still, the distinction between the two is merely blurred.

Also, just because we have developed artificial means to circumvent it, his theory (which is about nature and how we arrived at the point we currently are at) does not disprove his theory. In fact, quite the reverse; your assertion that we have stopped it from working is a de facto recognition that it was working in the first place.
  • Options

Not really; the fitter are more likely to survive still, the distinction between the two is merely blurred.

Also, just because we have developed artificial means to circumvent it, his theory (which is about nature and how we arrived at the point we currently are at) does not disprove his theory. In fact, quite the reverse; your assertion that we have stopped it from working is a de facto recognition that it was working in the first place.

But it also shows that it works no longer, and therefore is not a correct theory.

Your first point, however, is perfectly true, and therefore his theory is not disproved.
  • Options
    I like evolution. If it wasnt for evolution we wouldnt have cars, CD's, mobile phones or other things like that.

We would all be like cavemen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way

To help prove my point. Lets take the USA. The most technologically advanced country in the world. I think most people here would agree that they are nearer the bottom end of the list when it comes to surviving on ones own wits.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    Mindless I think your missing the point slightly, technology is part of our evolution, we invented it, we control it, we harness its benefits when we please. On an individual basis perhaps we have become a bit reliable on it, but I don't see how thats isn't of benefit to us ? But when you take the human race has a whole we are far from reliant on it ;) If TV, the internet, all electrical goods were wiped from the face of this earth, i think people would die, mainly through feeding themselves and keeping warm, but that is the beauty of evolution, the weakest folk would die, those best able to adapt would go on producing offspring which in turn would inherit survival skills.

The human race has eveolved so quick its left every other species behind beyond recognition, its uncomprehendable, that it may of been cats that had got up of all fours and evolved to what we are today, we had tails once, walked on all fours, it could easily of us been sat in zoo's now swinging from branch to branch whilst the cats brought their cubs to see us, a weird concept, but I think it highlights how much we have and continue to evolve, if we are developing weakness then evolution will through time eradicate it - people die prematurely of heart attacks, couch potato's, are these the sort of technology reliant people you speak of ?

What the human race has evolved to is amazing, having things do stuff for isn't bad, its brilliant, man has so far achieved so much :) Very little goes against progress or instinct.

Intrestingly, the next major evolutionary development may be the elimination of the fairer skinned races, as o zone disappears our exposure to the sun increases, darker skin is far more likley to hold out in this scenario, in terms of evolution, black may be 'the fittest' as white races simply shrivel up and burn away :eek: Sci-fi ? maybe, but its distinctly possible. Evolutionary changes physcially happen over many generations, its a race with O zone depletion, people already die of skin cancer, whereas those more adapted to the sun survive, the process has begun, if only in a tiny way.
  • Options
    I'm lost :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by J

Just a shame that at the moment we still decide to choose some bad uses for our intelligence.
    It's beyond me.

Thats because instinct is a greater power than intelligence and almost all of the bad in the world can be explained through human instinct.

As for the planet, it'll die one day anyway, even if we are not here and never were, I'm not convinced of the merits of this save the earth buisness.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    This is where I come un-stuck. :confused: Why on earth would humans evolve quicker than any other species? They lived on the same planet, and therefore had the same surroundings, which in theory should have caused a similar type of evolution. Something just doesn't add up here?#

Someone had to, we got lucky :) our physical build and mental capacity are largely to blame
  • Options
    Humans don't evolve any more quickly than other animals. It just so happened that somewhere along the line a mutation happened that gave us the potential for greater intelligence. We just got lucky.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alessandro
    Humans don't evolve any more quickly than other animals. It just so happened that somewhere along the line a mutation happened that gave us the potential for greater intelligence. We just got lucky.

bollocks ;)
  • Options
    mutation???????????no way.........thats crap!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pepsi_104

mutation???????????no way.........thats crap!

Mutations form the basis of the theory of evolution.

A species exists, and one of its members undergoes a random genetic mutation, due to various different reasons, causing it to be altered. Often this mutation is detrimental and causes the creature to die, but it can sometimes provide an advantage. Because of this advantage, it is more likely to survive and breed than the other animals of the species. Its offspring also have the new feature, so begin to thrive, and so on, until the old species is forced to die out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J

Your suggesting that our testicles were a mutation? :p

even science can not explain the eighth wonder of the world :D
  • Options

Actually of what I know this is what Satanists believe as well... The human creature evolved a strong mind, while the kangaroo evolved strong back-legs, for example.
    Thinking in this sense, means that we are nothing more than lucky animals as Alessandro suggested. That is an interesting discussion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Actually of what I know this is what Satanists believe as well... The human creature evolved a strong mind, while the kangaroo evolved strong back-legs, for example.
    Thinking in this sense, means that we are nothing more than lucky animals as Alessandro suggested. That is an interesting discussion.

We all evolved from the same thing, thats where the arguemnt is flawed, kangeroo's and humans once were the same thing, we can consider ourselves lucky to be the species that has become the dominant one. But I don't consider us to be lucky through that. I was giving the 'bollocks' to a 'single muataion' he suggested.
  • Options
    Why must we all be from the same thing? :confused:

The reactions which produced the first proteins and eventually organisms in the oceans may have happened in different ways in different places. We didn't all have to start in the same place.

And the theory of evolution amply allows for divergent evolutionary paths leading to different organisms; the original species may not have been completely wiped out, or two different mutations at different places at roughly the same time led to a splitting into two.
  • Options
    Anyone here read "Sofie's World" by Jostein Gaarder (actually on my bedroom floor at the moment)?
    Well one of the first questions is where does the world come from? Were Sofie starts to wonder wether or not the earth was made out of three different elements (example of element: water)... Though I can't remember what she decides on (havn't read that book since i was 13 or 14, and I didnt even read it fully).

Just Vox's post made me think of that :)
  • Options
    Why must we all be from the same thing? :confused:

A tiny little part of a cell known as mitochondria, it can now be found readily in almost all cells on earth, its responsible for the production of the cells energy, synthesising atp - its now accepted that one engulfed another, thus the first cell was formed. This may of been repeated but fundamentally you got the same thing in several places. From here the cell began to evolve, further organllesa were fuelled by this new found energy system now complete with protection. Only then could the production of protein occur. The simplicity of that first group of cells mean they would not of differed.
  • Options
    or two different mutations at different places at roughly the same time led to a splitting into two.

it is mutations which are responsible for diversity, those mutations which are successful allow the organism in question an advantage and so its chance of survival is improved, the rest we know after this thread :D Those muations which are not fade away quickly, usually in the host orgainsm, which would usually die.
  • Options
    and on the seventh day god chilled.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    and on the seventh day god chilled.......

Have you ever heard the Eddie Izzard sketch ? He did one and someone else similar, combine the two and you get something along the lines of

On the seventh day god got up and had a joint, he then got nothing done till later and so rushed things like Rwanda, French toilets, the leaning tower of Pisa etc.... then he thought shit 'I've left weed everywhere' and so he invented the Conservatives