Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

so worried

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
last week i went and had some tests for sti's as there is definetly something wrong 'down there'. i had to phone back today for the results and they told me i would have to make an appiontment to get them. they would not do this if there wasn't anything seriously wrong would they?, as they only test for the main, more serious sti's., not all the minor infections. so i must have something serious.

I am pretty convinced that i have genital herpes, as there is a lot of tingling and a few small ulcer/blister type things, it has also been very itchy.

I am just so upset about this, i know i have it and will never be able to have sex without a condom again. please everyone USE CONDOMS, i am SO pissed off with myself for having unprotected sex.

I am so scared abot getting the results although i am already sure what they are going to tell me, i can't believe this is happening.

has anyone been through anything like this? does anyone have herpes, if so how do you cope with it?

thanks for reading this

Comments

• Options
    Click here

Read the above it tells you all about it. Don't panic, if you do have it its one of the less serious problems & can be helped.
    Lots of places don't give out any kind of result good or bad as you could be anyone ringing up.
    HTH
  • Options
    Yeah, i've rung in before, and they've told me to go in... turned out i just had thrush :rolleyes:
    If it is herpes, it isn't too bad (but not great either, i can understand that), but DO use a condom in future. Sorry to be patronising. Good luck!
  • Options
    swabs

i rung my doctor and ive been given the all clear, but can anyone tell me exactly what they test for with swabs?
    i'm actually not relieved because i don't think they test for herpes, think you need a blood test? so the swabs probably test for thrush and other minor infections, so if i've been tested negative for all of these it makes me more worried that my prblems must be herpes.
  • Options
    Re: swabs
    Originally posted by *ali*
    i rung my doctor and ive been given the all clear, but can anyone tell me exactly what they test for with swabs?
    i'm actually not relieved because i don't think they test for herpes, think you need a blood test? so the swabs probably test for thrush and other minor infections, so if i've been tested negative for all of these it makes me more worried that my prblems must be herpes.

Can't answer that, i suggest you speak to your doctor more, they should tell you what they are testing for.
  • Options
    i have herpes.

and i was a virgin. anyway, i started feeling itchy the day after getting piss drunk and fucking around with someone i didnt really know. i ignored it...i was in denial. then i started reading up on STIs about a week later and herpes was a perfect match for my symptoms. about a week after that, i broke down. cried all night. couldnt believe it was happening to me. because ive my stupidity, i would have this for the rest of my life. couldnt stop crying. i was a fucking mentalcase that night. called a mate. came over and sat with me while i cried and told me it wasnt the end of the world. life does go on. i didnt think it would ( i tend to be overly sensitive and overreact to just about everything ). was the worst pain id ever felt in my life. i went to the doctor the next day, did the tests, got on medication. it went away and havent had any problems since. (note: herpes is never completely gone...it is a virus that becomes dormant and lives in the spine.)

i have a hard time dating though. i dont like to because i know before being intimate, i will have to tell them my secret and risk having them not want to be with me anymore.

i read somewhere that theres less than 0.1% chance of transmitting it with unprotected sex as long as there is no outbreak. with a condom, its considered safe as long as there is no outbreak. NEVER do anything when there is an outbreak.
    however, my doctor says to always use a condom no matter what. i am following my doctors advice. even had to break up with a guy because he felt safe and didnt want to use a condom. im not taking any chances though.

some say that you have to have a c-section if you have herpes. thats not true. only if you are having an outbreak when you go into labor.

hope that helps.
  • Options
    Lizzafins, do you mind me asking exactly what your symptoms were, and how were you tested for herpes? was it a blood test?
    thanks x
  • Options
    itchy, burning, painful red bumps that eventually turned into lesions. painful to the point of crying during classes and could barely walk.

it can be tested for by swabbing if it is still in the bumps stage...the doctor cuts a little skin off the bump and swabs the area and tests that.

if it has already gone to lesions, swabbing may not give results. i waited too long to go to the doctor and the bumps had become lesions, so that test came out negative. the doctor still thought it was herpes, so i had blood drawn from my arm and that tested positive. also, if it is dormant ( no symptoms at all ), the only way to find out is a blood test.
  • Options
    Re: swabs
    Originally posted by *ali*

Thats what I do for my job :eek: swabs test for thrush and bacterial infections, but not things like chlamidiya, herpes and other viruses. Anything found with a swab can be cured with simple anti-biotics except maybe thrush which can be treated anyway :)

If you have an questions on it all feel free to PM me, I'll be happy to help and explain anything which your confused about :)