Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Working time directive

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had a job as a care assistant. I quit - that lasted a full 2 days / 24 hours. Quite disappointed it didn't work out, but meh...

Anyway, after expressing my concerns I've been offered a position at another unit. Probably not going to take it because I assume the same problems will still exist as the management is still the same, maybe just a bit less emotionally draining due to the different patients. But the idea of taking it is nagging in the back of my head as I'm struggling with finding another temporary job so far into the summer.

Sorry, back on topic. To get my job, I had to sign an opt out form of the working time directive. I say "had to"... I was sent a letter that said something like "Here's a conditional offer of employment... dependent on you sending these forms back, CRB check, OH check etc etc".

A contributing factor to why I decided to leave was the shift work I had to do. I worked Monday and Tuesday, and then I was expected to work the same shift pattern as another girl to "shadow her" and she was working Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday (12 hours each). My contract was 44hours, but this added up to 72 hours.

So my question is.... If you opt out of this thing... can you pretty much work as many hours as your employer wants you to work? I'm guessing they can't force you to opt out in the first place though......?

Comments

• Options
    Doesn't matter - had to make the final decision today.
  • Options
    Doesn't matter - had to make the final decision today.

What did you decide?
  • Options
    As I understand it, the working time directive means that your employer can't ask you to work more than 48 hours a week. Opting out means that you have the option to work more than that if you want to. If I understand it correctly, they can't force you to work more than that unless you agree to it.

I know you've made your decision now, but thought I'd answer anyway.
  • Options
    You can only opt out of parts of the working time directive - the 11 hours rest in 24 means you cant work more than 91 hours a week
  • Options
    Thanks guys... haven't taken the position in another unit, too many reasons not to tbh. Thanks for your help.