Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Driving Instructor training

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Everyone.

I am wondering if becoming a driving instructor would be the best move for me.

Should I apply if I'm shy?

I am curious if anyone here is a driving instructor, or you know anyone.

What is it like?

What company are you with?

What is the best company to train with? I was thinking BSM might be a good company.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Options
    This group always seems to be advertised quite well.
  • Options
    Thanks already looked at it.
  • Options
    I've heard really, really bad things about all the instructor training schools that are being advertised on TV at the moment. I also know a couple of people who tried, and failed, to make a living as a driving instructor.

The main problem is that there is not a complete glut of driving instructors and not enough learners to go around for them to make a living. It's nearly impossible to make a living out of it, because the overheads are really high (car, petrol, car maintenance, insurance), so you would have to be working something like 50 hours a week to make the £30,000 per year they always bang on about in the adverts. But it is pretty much impossible to work 50 hours a week at it even if you wanted to, because you can't find the pupils.

Then when you do, you can't prevent them cancelling, no-showing, or crashing your car.

All in all, not a great career move, imo.
  • Options
    I think you spend too much time looking for something rather than going and actually doing something.

I dont mean this as an insult, but it feels like every other week you have a new random idea.

However being a driving instructor wouldnt be a bad job if you are an experienced driver.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I think you spend too much time looking for something rather than going and actually doing something.

I dont mean this as an insult, but it feels like every other week you have a new random idea.

This :yes:
  • Options

However being a driving instructor wouldnt be a bad job if you are an experienced driver.

I am only spending a lot of time looking because I want a good job and it has to be something that I can do, either a job with training or a something which I have qualifications for.
  • Options

i dont think thats a fair comment, maybe he just really doesnt have a clue what he wants to do (not an uncommon thing) and wants to find out more information about different types of jobs and whether they'd be right for him before he starts getting on with things.
  • Options
    i dont think thats a fair comment, maybe he just really doesnt have a clue what he wants to do (not an uncommon thing) and wants to find out more information about different types of jobs and whether they'd be right for him before he starts getting on with things.

No I don't think its a fair comment either. Thank you for posting it. :)
  • Options
    Also forgot to mention.....

I have no f*cking idea what I want to change jobs to. I know I don't want to work in a Factery again.