Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

sunburnt legs!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was at the beach today for a few hours and now my legs are burnt red from thigh to toe! its so painful everytime i stand up my legs feel heavy and tingle and also have a small birthmark that now looks green?!?!
how can i get the redness out? x

Comments

• Options
    any suggestions?
  • Options
    drink water and use hydrocortisone cream.
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    *hug* Oh dear......I had sunburn a few weeks ago: I know your pain....

I would advise to get after sun that has aloe vera in it. Also if you have any chamomile teabags in the house wet them and squeeze the water onto the burns or you could dare putting them on your legs(it could tingle....but not for too long) or if you can't walk that far i would get all the moisturiser you could and slap it on, in fact putting ice on before the moisturiser is great...will cool it down first. As for sleeping....this is going to sound stupid but try and put some pillows under your feet in bed so your legs are propped up and there won't be too much friction between your burns and the sheets.
    Also, if the green birth mark doesn't get better at the same time as the burns i would see the doctors...just in case.
    Hope it gets better soon.
    XXXXXXXXX:wave:
  • Options
    Firstly, prevention is better than cure. It's too late now, but next time make sure you put plenty of high factor suncream on.

Right now, cover your legs in after sun, or aloe vera cream/ gel. Sitting in a cold bath will make them feel better too.

Depending on how bad they are, they will probable either peel or turn brown within the next few days.
  • Options
    ok thankyou, i have put like half a bottle of after sun on. i did actually use suncream today i kept smothering it on but obv wasnt high enough i guess x
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    yeah....when i got my sun burn i had put on tonnes of suncream....sometimes even when you have a high enough spf you can get caught out. Ah well.....hope it gets better! XX
  • Options
    thanks sweetie x
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    drink water and use hydrocortisone cream.

DO NOT use hydrocortisone cream on a large area (such as a whole leg) without speaking to your G.P.
  • Options
    what does it do? i have never heard of it before x
  • Options
    It's a steroid cream that works by interfering with your bodies immune system to stop the release of chemicals by your immune sysytem.

Usually used for insect bite reactions, allergic reactions, and eczma.

Sunburn isn't your bodies reaction to a chemical (insect bite/venom, metal etc) it's a burn. Prolonged or short term use over a large area will thin the skin leaving it prone to infection, which with sunburn can end up serious as a lot of blood is being diverted to your legs right now for healing and if an infection gets into your blood stream.....
  • Options
    oh ok i will stay away from that then x
  • Options
    Unless your GP says otherwise. But as peeps have said. Cooling, moisturising is the way to go.