Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

therapist/counsellor?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is the difference between a counsellor and a therapist?

Comments

• Options
    In reality there is very little difference as far as I can tell. Often individuals with similiar qualifications and offering similiar services call themselves either counsellor or therapist dependent on personal choice.

Maybe it has something to do with the length of support offered? I would say that counsellors offer short term help and therapist long term support.

I could be completely wrong on that though!
  • Options
    Therapists can perscribe meication i believe? and councellors cant?
    atleast thats what i thought?
  • Options
    generally:
    a counsellor either has a degree in counselling or a postrgad certificate or other qualification in counselling;
    a psychotherapist has a PhD in clinical psychology.

a counsellor is someone to talk to; they are there to help you talk through what is worrying you whilst offering suggestions as to what you could do to feel better. a psychotherapist uses one of the main approaches to psychology (mainly behavioural, cognitive or psychodynamic or a combination) to work out what the underlying causes of your difficulties are, for example trauma, illogical thought processes or reinforcement of disordered behaviours. they won't just listen to you, they will concentrate on actively steering you to change. generally, therapy is more hard work for the patient.
  • Options
    Lemon wrote: »
    Therapists can perscribe meication i believe? and councellors cant?
    atleast thats what i thought?

not really, unless the therapist is a medic also providing psychotherapy, but that's not too common. therpists often have a better knowledge of medications though and can make recommendations to doctors about what might be the best one.
  • Options
    thank you for your response, but should i be worried about it??
  • Options
    Therapist = someone who gives you therapy, or treatment if you like, for what's wrong.

Psycho - mental, emotional, thoughts.

Physio - your physical body.

Cardio - the heart.

etc

Counsellor - someone impartial to unburden it all to and maybe suggest treatments. Though some do some therapies too.
  • Options
    thank you for your response, but should i be worried about it??

worried about what?
  • Options
    worried about being sent to a therapist rather than a counsellor??
  • Options
    worried about being sent to a therapist rather than a counsellor??

no, not at all. it just means that the help will be a bit different, they'll probably do a few assessments before getting on with the actual therapy which can be a bit daunting sometimes but it's nothing to worry about. therapy can be upsetting sometimes if they tap into something that really bothers you, generally they think it's better to have your emotions out in the open and work through them, which can sometimes mean you going home more distressed than when you got there, but it's usually good for you in the long-term. you'll probably find therapy generally more hard work and more emotionally draining than counselling, but it's there to help you and make you better. go into it with an open mind and see what happens.
  • Options
    well with counselling you have about 6 sessions and thats it, is that the case with therapy?? also i struggle to talk about it stuff i dont talk i just sit there like a werido ha.
  • Options
    Also, unless it's specifically labelled 'psychotherapy' some people do use 'therapy' as a synonym for counselling. What is the job title of the person you'll be seeing, and what sort of clinic are they based in?
  • Options
    its physcotherapist i dont know some where in halifax. I have a telephone assasment on monday at four. She said its to do with behavioural therapy. I guess it will be to change the way i act to situations.