Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Broke my oven :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This morning I turned the oven off at the wall so I could clean it. When I was finished I turned the switch back on and there was nothing, no clock and nothing works when i turn the hobs on etc.

Everything else in the kitchen is working and I've flipped the fuse for the kitchen and the whole house a couple of times and still nothing :(

Anything else I can do? How much would it be to get an electrician out?

EDIT: Got it working now, we reckon it might be the switch on the wall so getting a man out to come and look

Comments

• Options
    I am assuming, when you say there is no clock, that the clock isn't illuminated rather than, say, it is not showing the time, i.e. there is no power to the oven. If the clock is illuminated, it may be that you have flipped the 'auto' timer and the oven will not work until the pre-set time (probably 00:00 if you have never used it!) In which case, turning the auto timer off should fix the problem. Hopefully you still have the owner's manual!

If there is no power to the oven, you may have dislodged a loose connection at the back. Is it a built-in model? If so, before calling an electrician, get a couple of strong friends to help you pull the oven forwards, and lift it out of the its floor unit to have a look at the back. There should be enough spare cable to allow you to gently set the oven down on the floor so that you can inspect the connection. If there is clearly a wire loose, it wont be rocket-science to tighten it up again with a screwdriver.

Another thing that has happened to us in the past was that, while having the oven professionally cleaned, the thermostat sensor was broken. However, in that instance, the only clue that something was wrong was that the oven overheated every time we turned it on.
  • Options
    We think its just the mains socket on the wall thats the problem. If we turn it on and off a few times sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt so we're getting someone out to look at it. Least i managed to cook some chilli for tonight!
  • Options
    Sounds like it. but bear in mind, for future problems, the cooker usually has its own circuit breaker, separate from all the rest of the kitchen.