Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The English Defence League

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sanitize wrote: »
    Halal meat has to be slaughtered and prepared by Muslims in order for it to be considered halal, and it should therefore be supplied by companies owned by Muslims. You could almost say that halal meat is racist meat.
    Muslims now count as a race?

I must have been off sick the day they taught that in school.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    People like the EDL are the people who make islamic extremists want to bomb us.
    Rubbish! Islamic extremists bomb us because of two things, one our governments foreign policy in the Middle East with our wars against Iraq and Afghanistan and two because they want to turn our country into an Islamic state.

The main reason I march with the EDL is because I know that the Islamic terror threat comes from home grown radicalised muslims NOT from muslims in Afghanistan!
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    Animal welfare isn't the only reason why someone would oppose halal meat. Some people also don't like the fact that Muslims are practically monopolising the meat industry.

Halal meat has to be slaughtered and prepared by Muslims in order for it to be considered halal, and it should therefore be supplied by companies owned by Muslims. You could almost say that halal meat is racist meat.

Also, it should be noted that Sikhs are not allowed to eat halal meat as per their religion, so you can understand if a Sikh gets upset if his local KFC turns halal.

Little things like this just add up and people begin to get fed up of Islam being shoved in their faces. The reason why there isn't as much resentment towards kosher meat is simple. There is much much much more halal meat out there than kosher.

So one person has more of a right to not eat halal meat than someone does to eat?

Whats racist about halal meat? Does that mean veggies are racist then? Its simply a way of preparing food according to religion.
  • Options
    Goldsword wrote: »
    Rubbish! Islamic extremists bomb us because of two things, one our governments foreign policy in the Middle East with our wars against Iraq and Afghanistan and two because they want to turn our country into an Islamic state.

The main reason I march with the EDL is because I know that the Islamic terror threat comes from home grown radicalised muslims NOT from muslims in Afghanistan!

So what of the extremists in this country who are schooled in religious matters in the local madrassas by extremist mullah's who are in turn trained and made extremist in the Afghan/Pakistan border region?

The EDL would have a point with their cause, if they actually just went after muslim extremists, which they dont, they just go after all muslims. The very actions of the EDL tend to make muslim communities more extremist than the wars do.

Oh what about the muslim soldiers, home grown british lads and girls serving with the british army? Explain that!
  • Options

Muslims want to turn Britain into an Islamic state, as opposed to Christian?
  • Options
    Apart from Glasgow and London, when have the Islamic extremists managed to attack us?
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    Apart from Glasgow and London, when have the Islamic extremists managed to attack us?

To be fair, I think setting yourself on fire with a zippo then being repeatedly headbutted by a Glaswegian is probably about as far from an 'attack' as you could get... :p
  • Options
    There was a good panorama about the EDL, it's worth watching.

The insight from that basically paints a picture of an organisation with a loose ideology, which has gathered a lot of interest from many different people from different walks of life with different political persuasions. At the same rally you could have members of the EDL fighting within each other, as some will invariably be BNP supporters and nationalists, whilst others are simply feeling disenfranchised with joblessness and no hope of a change soon, while they perceive the government to be giving migrants who don't really care about this country a free ride.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Muslims want to turn Britain into an Islamic state, as opposed to Christian?
    Didn't you know that in Islamic states people are stoned to death for minor offence and people like homosexuals are executed!

How many christians have called for the stoning to death of people for minor offences or for the killing of people who offend their religon?

Radical muslims want to impose harsh cruel sharia law on everyone. They will take away all our democratic freedom as Islamic fundamentalists despise democracy and make us live like people are forced to in Iran and Saudi Arabia.
  • Options
    Didn't you know that in Islamic states people are stoned to death for minor offence and people like homosexuals are executed!

How many christians have called for the stoning to death of people for minor offences or for the killing of people who offend their religon?

Radical muslims want to impose harsh cruel sharia law on everyone. They will take away all our democratic freedom as Islamic fundamentalists despise democracy and make us live like people are forced to in Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Um yeah, I did know that, it's just I didn't know that extremist Muslims wanted the world to become a totally Islamic.
  • Options

Lucky then radical Muslims in the UK are a very small and powerless minority. Nor that we would ever need the likes of the English Defence League to 'save' us from them...
  • Options

Um .. have you not been watching the news in the last three or four weeks? Christians have been calling for the death penalty for gays in Uganda. Or are Ugandans not proper Christians 'cos they are from Africa?
  • Options
    Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you...

Christian white supremecy

Christian Voice (who want to overturn laws of marital rape because when a woman marries a man, she is always consenting!)

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill - inspired by Christianity, which executes people who are convicted of homosexual acts (supported by Christian voice)

The Westboro Baptist Church - Believe that natural disasters and the death of soldiers is caused by God punishing people for accepting homosexuality

I mean seriously... There are Christians who are every bit as intolerant as some Muslims.

I do not agree with a lot of principles of Sharia law (and I do not follow any of the Abrahamic religions), but to fall in to the mentality that followers of Islam are any worse than follows of other religions just shows that you're extremely selective with your research.
  • Options

http://www.alternet.org/story/40318/

http://reason.com/archives/1998/11/01/invitation-to-a-stoning

Oops
  • Options

UK Census 2001:

Christian - 72%
    No Religion - 15%
    Did not Respond - 8%
    Muslim - 3%

How many of that 3% of UK population do you think are extremists and do you think that such a proportion can actually "make us" do anything much?
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    UK Census 2001:

Christian - 72%
    No Religion - 15%
    Did not Respond - 8%
    Muslim - 3%

How many of that 3% of UK population do you think are extremists and do you think that such a proportion can actually "make us" do anything much?

I don't dispute your point but, with due respect, 2001 is hardly "current" statistics, especially as the figures are as likely as not to be pre-9/11. Can you not find anything more recent?
  • Options
    Well the census is every ten years. But the census has a habit of overestimating the number of religious people anyway, because people will tick the box that matches their cultural background, rather than their genuine beliefs or the religion they actually practice. And that's before we consider the fact that typically, it will be one member of the household that's filling it out on other's behalf, and so the family religion will often be the default. So I suspect what you're looking at there is the number of people from a muslim background, not the number of actual muslims.
  • Options
    ... So I suspect what you're looking at there is the number of people from a muslim background, not the number of actual muslims.

You have a point, but I think "Christians" in the UK are likely to be far less likely to be practicing their religion than their Muslim neighbours. Having looked at the census figures myself, I was quite surprised to find that Islam was the second biggest religion in the UK after Christianity - even if Muslims account for only 3% of the population. Given our Commonwealth history, I would have assumed more Jewish, Hindu and Sikh households.
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see what comes out of the 2011 census, but don't expect to see much of a shift. I'm not even sure why 9/11 should have made much different. IMmigration policy might have but not to a greater extent.

Interestingly the website doesn't mention all those who put down "Jedi" for a laugh.

ETA... found it "At the time the Census was carried out, there was an internet campaign that encouraged people to answer the religion question "Jedi Knight". The number of people who stated Jedi was 390,000 (0.7 per cent of the population)."
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see what comes out of the 2011 census, but don't expect to see much of a shift. I'm not even sure why 9/11 should have made much different ...

It wouldn't, of course. It's just that I don't remember anyone worrying terribly about radical extremism, Muslim terrorists or Sharia law before then, which made 2001 seem a very long time ago ...
  • Options
    Census was in April, World Trade Centre less than six months later. It was all a long time ago*

*(Unless you are nearly 40 in which case it seems like only yesterday. Trust me!)
  • Options
    UK Census 2001:
    Christian - 72%
    No Religion - 15%
    Did not Respond - 8%
    Muslim - 3%
    By the way I would refute the claim that 72 per cent of the population of the UK are christian even though I am a christian myself. I say that because only 6 per cent of the UK population attend church regularly and 4 per cent occaisonally.

Also to be a christian it means that you have to do certain things like admit you are sinner, repent of your sins and accept Jesus Christ as your saviour.

I think most people put down that they are christians without much thought about it. Also if you never attend church like 90 per cent of the UK population then you are never even going to learn much about the christian religon to start with.

I think what most of that 72 per cent meant was that they believed in God and think that because this is supposed to be a christian country that it must be the christian God they believe in. But just belief in God is nothing like actually being a christian.
  • Options
    So people who dont attend church are not allowed to be christian?

I dont think id like the idea of forced worship.
  • Options
    ... Unless you are nearly 40 in which case it seems like only yesterday. Trust me!

Hey, I'm not TheSite Granny for nothing!!! :lol:
  • Options
    I think what most of that 72 per cent meant was that they believed in God and think that because this is supposed to be a christian country that it must be the christian God they believe in. But just belief in God is nothing like actually being a christian.

I disagree. I think 72% probably believe in God and learned about Jesus at school. Most also understand the concept of sin, even if they cannot remember the Ten Commandments. And most probably regret their short-comings from time to time, even if they don't actively repent. A lot (I hesitate to say "most") would have been Baptised in the Christian church.

Even if they have never set foot in a church since, it doesn't mean they were not brought up Christian.