Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

maxi dress help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I want a nice maxi dress but dont have a clue what to look for as I used to live in tracksuit bottoms/jeans/black trousers and a t-shirt or vest top, however I am experimenting with more feminine stuff as I really am too damn hot in my jeans however I dont have the legs or the confience to wear a short skirt without leggings or tights.

I am about 5 ft 3/4 and a size 16!

Thanks

AFA

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Maxi dresses are the devil's creation, I don't think they suit anyone.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »

aw really? iv seen SO many people who look gorgeous in them but personally for me however many i try on they just dont suit me at all. apparently 'anybody' can wear maxi dresses but they make me look huge!

angel my sister is a curvy size 16 and she recently got this one:

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/feather-halter-maxi-dress_199463909

she looks gorgeous in it, she has olive skin and dark hair too which i think sets the colours off. however when i tried it on it just hangs like a potato sack. haha. :)

i would say the only way to find out what to look for is go shopping and try loads on. new look have lots at the moment.
  • Options
    Hi,

I want a nice maxi dress but dont have a clue what to look for as I used to live in tracksuit bottoms/jeans/black trousers and a t-shirt or vest top, however I am experimenting with more feminine stuff as I really am too damn hot in my jeans however I dont have the legs or the confience to wear a short skirt without leggings or tights.

I am about 5 ft 3/4 and a size 16!

I'm 5'2" and the same size and I've discovered that the best thing for me is to find a calf-length dress that has some shaping at the waist. Then you avoid the pitfalls of an unshaped dress (they make me look pregnant....), and also don't look short because it doesn't quite reach your ankles.

I have a couple of nice ones, one from East and one from Tu at Sainsbury's.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    grace wrote: »

not true.

i've seen people wear them and look STUNNING.

i really want a maxi dress but i'm not sure if one would suit me. i should try one on really!
  • Options
    i think they weirdly look better on skinnier and bigger women but dont suit the middling ones particularly well, no idea why
  • Options
    i think they weirdly look better on skinnier and bigger women but dont suit the middling ones particularly well, no idea why

yes, thats what i think too! like curvy women can pull them off really well and if you're skinny then obviously they hang nicely, but im a size 12 and they just do nowt really.
  • Options
    exact same problem. Im a 12 and everyone i've tried on makes me look about a size 16 :o
  • Options
    I think you need to be the right height to pull them off, too. Personally I don't think they suit short or tall people, but if you're somewhere in the middle they can look fab.

Oh, and if you're short and pregnant they make you look like a dalek :thumb: :(

A more versatile look is a long skirt. If you just wear them with a fitted t-shirt or vest, cool belt and flip flops or sandals, they're cool (like, as opposed to warm) and casual and loads easier to wear than a maxi dress!