Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What is a chemical pregnancy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is one? I've been told so many different things..

Comments

• Options
    It's a very early miscarriage. The egg is fertilised, but either doesn't implant properly, or is abnormal in some way. Your body recognises that the pregnancy is not viable, miscarries, and you get what you assume to be your normal period around the same time you would normally.

If you didn't do a test at exactly the right time, you probably wouldn't even realise it had happened.
  • Options
    My understanding is it's where the egg is fertilised, thus producing a small amount of the pregnancy hormone and often causing a faint positive line if a test is taken. However, the zygote never attaches to the uterine wall and so is expelled with the next period.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    It's a very early miscarriage. The egg is fertilised, but either doesn't implant properly, or is abnormal in some way. Your body recognises that the pregnancy is not viable, miscarries, and you get what you assume to be your normal period around the same time you would normally.

If you didn't do a test at exactly the right time, you probably wouldn't even realise it had happened.

I think I've experienced one. My period was really heavy and then after about a week's break, I came on a period which was a lot more like my normal period.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    My understanding is it's where the egg is fertilised, thus producing a small amount of the pregnancy hormone and often causing a faint positive line if a test is taken. However, the zygote never attaches to the uterine wall and so is expelled with the next period.

What causes this to happen? Should I be upset if this has happened to me?
  • Options
    you shouldnt necessarily be upset, although some people might be if theyd been trying for a baby for a while.
  • Options
    I haven't been trying so if it just happened should I treat it as a miscarriage or just see it as 'nothing' really?
  • Options
    As you are on the pill it is very unlikely that you have experienced a chemical pregnancy, but if you have, no, it's nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    lyric wrote: »

I think I've experienced one. My period was really heavy and then after about a week's break, I came on a period which was a lot more like my normal period.

I think its more likely down to you having just started taking the pill.
  • Options
    I've took it before. I took it when I was sixteen.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    As you are on the pill it is very unlikely that you have experienced a chemical pregnancy, but if you have, no, it's nothing to worry about.

Should I feel upset?
  • Options
    Should I feel upset?

It's not a requirement.
  • Options
    But is it classed as anything by doctors or is it too early to be classed as a miscarriage?
  • Options
    But is it classed as anything by doctors or is it too early to be classed as a miscarriage?

Well in your case it would be classed as nothing since you didn't have a positive test and your symptoms are far more easily explained by another reason.

Doctors would probably only investigate if someone was actively trying to conceive with no luck, and had had repeated chemical pregnancies over a series of months. Otherwise it's pretty normal, and nothing to worry about. It's nature's way of terminating a pregnancy that never would have worked out.
  • Options
    Yeah, true. It obviously wasn't meant to be.
  • Options
    its not really classed as a miscarriage no, and its extremely common
  • Options
    Oh, good. Why does it occur, do you know? Like why can't the egg attach to the uterus?
  • Options
    because not all of them are viable.
  • Options
    In most cases theres probably something wrong with it
  • Options
    Isn't it something that happens as part of a chemical romance?

It's classed as a chemical pregnancy, and is quite normal.

It means a lucky sperm got into an egg, but either it didn't work out, or it didn't manage to attach properly.

Should you feel anything? Well, every period is the failure of a potential child, so you could grieve for each one. Otherwise relief or disappointment are about the only normal feelings to have about it.
  • Options
    True. Thanks for the advice people :)