Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

on a server and web hosting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hello
can someone tell me if i can install my own wiki or stream media now that i've registered a domain name. media wiki says you need a server. so.. is that what i've got with my domain? sorry I don't know much about this.

Comments

• Options
    You need to rent some space on a server. Buying a domain name alone will not let you do anything(though you may get free email or domain forwarding).

Depending on where you go, expect to pay around a tenner per month for a reliable host. Can spend a lot less, or a lot more, depending on where you go.
  • Options
    You need to rent some space on a server. Buying a domain name alone will not let you do anything(though you may get free email or domain forwarding).

Depending on where you go, expect to pay around a tenner per month for a reliable host. Can spend a lot less, or a lot more, depending on where you go.

thank you for answering the question. what would I google instead of 'reliable host'?
  • Options
    UK host, use them myself. Good company, good owner.

http://www.jshosts.com
  • Options
    "Web hosting" is the general term used.

We(not here, another site) use a company in the US called LiquidWeb. Not looking to advertise them, and I'll get nothing back for the mention - but we've been with them for years now, with very few issues. Though we lease a whole server rather than just a normal account, but we've had little issue with their tech support or quality of network uptime, which should be much the same for a shared account.

For what it's worth, my advice would be to:-

1. Pick a company that has been around for a while.
    2. Do some research - you'll find plenty of information on any established companies if you Google their name, possibly with "sucks" on the end of the search terms.
    3. Price is important, but you often get what you pay for with hosting. You want to pay the least for a good host with decent uptime, rather than just wanting to pay the least.

I'm years out of the game, so listen to others before you place your faith in my rambling. :)