Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression Problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure what to do - doctor refusing to give me treatment since I don't want counselling.. Friends are being unsupportive as they don't understand. I don't really know why I'm like this, its been three years and its not like I've had a traumatic childhood... Why do I cut? Why am I depressed?

Comments

• Options
    doctor refusing to give me treatment since I don't want counselling

If you mean medication then he's right. It's cause and effect. Drugs will remove the symptoms but not the cause that's why you should go for counselling.

There's all sorts of counselling. True, it doesn't work for me but at least i gave it a few sessions.
  • Options
    When you said you didn't want counseling did you just flat out say no? Or did you talk over options?

I think the best way to tackle this is to go into it open minded. Most Dr's will only give out medication if in the long run there is some type of counseling involved. As someone has already said the drugs only take away the symptoms and not the cause. If you said yes to counseling now that doesn't necessarily mean you will get it now - there is usually a waiting list. So your Dr may choose to give you medication now, which will help clear your head a bit and you may find you want to give counseling a go?

I know talking about things can be hard but it can really help you to move forward and answer the questions you want answered, which can only come from yourself but its always good to have someone to help you through the feelings. I'm pretty sure if you did try counseling you wouldn't be made to spill everything out at once, there is no pressure.

So maybe talk it over with your Dr again and see what they say?

As for your friends, they probably do care about you and want to help, but it is a hard position to see someone you love going through a hard time: particularly more so when your not sure what to do to help, or if your finding it difficult to understand. I would give them time, and just ask them to be there for you. Maybe if your having a bad day ask to hang out and make it fun, just to take your mind off of things.

:)
  • Options
    Another option is to see a different Dr, tell them that you want to try ADs but don't think that couselling will work for you.
  • Options
    Why am I depressed?

Have you been given a diagnosis by a psychiatrist ?

There's a myriad of conditions and depression is just a small part of it.

Maybe ask for a referal to your local psychiatric team, they'll speak to you and you'll get a proper diagnosis and the consultant will talk through your options.
  • Options
    geneve wrote: »
    I don't think it's advisable for anyone to go to the Doctor and tell them what they would like as treatment.

It's normal, e.g.

"Hi Dr, I would like to have sex without gettin gpreggers, please may I have the pill?"
  • Options
    Treatments for depression work best if the patient is 'on side'. And, just like the pill won't be given out if it's unsuitable, neither will an AD, but asking for what you want removes some of the guess work for the Doc.

It is best to take a level of responsibility your own healthcare, rather than just rely on a GP. They can only treat on what you tell them so, if you haven't told a Dr that you're not keen on talk based treatments, they won't know to think of other treatments that they can and are willing to giv eyou that don't involve talking.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Treatments for depression work best if the patient is 'on side'. And, just like the pill won't be given out if it's unsuitable, neither will an AD, but asking for what you want removes some of the guess work for the Doc.

It is best to take a level of responsibility your own healthcare, rather than just rely on a GP. They can only treat on what you tell them so, if you haven't told a Dr that you're not keen on talk based treatments, they won't know to think of other treatments that they can and are willing to giv eyou that don't involve talking.

Just wanted to add a :thumb: to this post. I totally agree, and it has been my direct experience also.
  • Options
    geneve wrote: »
    I don't think it's advisable for anyone to go to the Doctor and tell them what they would like as treatment.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showpost.php?p=2320716&postcount=7
    I think a lot of doctors throw the term around too. I was 'diagnosed' with it and promptly told the doctor to jog on.

Not advisable to be telling the doctor what is going on is it? ;)

You've quite a sensible head on your shoulders tbh, and I think to an extent its a good idea to try recovering from something without the use of drugs, age old adage of "strong mind strong body" springs to mind, and kinda backs up a lot of what you say.

Though do you accept that in some (not all) cases it may be necessary to use drugs?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    If you mean medication then he's right. It's cause and effect. Drugs will remove the symptoms but not the cause that's why you should go for counselling.

There's all sorts of counselling. True, it doesn't work for me but at least i gave it a few sessions.

Imho i believe that drugs can help simply by breaking the circle of depression the sufferer can find the energy and will to get on and look at other long term treatments.
    I would imagine that it is very hard to go through counselling if you are feeling helpless and worthless when all you can focus on is the negative.
    Drugs along with counselling has to be the ideal way but in the short term i see no harm in a programme of drugs to lift a sufferer up off the floor.
    Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    Theres quite a bit of evidence that using placebo drugs can help a patients condition. So geneve is right in the sense that in some cases it is just the mind, but if the mind needs that psycological kick, then so be it.
  • Options
    I wish my doctor had said that LouiseK. I don't want to talk about it. It would be good to talk with a friend, I don't want to talk though. And I got so angry when my mum tried to make me go to a psychiatrist two years ago. I just don't understand how someone could possibly help me by talking about it. I don't know why I'm depressed. I have a family. I haven't had an awful childhood. I don't understand. I look in the mirror and it makes me cry not recognising who I am. I don't see Sky anymore, I see some disgusting girl. And I want to get rid of her. My friends don't understand how I can be so flipping loud and normal around them and then have all these feelings. But I guess it means I'm just hiding it all away. I don't want to keep all my feelings bottled up, but my friends are frightened. They don't know how to help me. And they don't understand what's going on. And they get annoyed if I say anything like "Oh I hate life" or "I wish I was dead" or even "How can you be so happy?" and I've fallen out with so many people over the past few months. But being friends and best friends with one girl, I don't understand how she can just not give a BEEP anymore. It makes me cry thinking that I'm so helpless. I just feel so lost and I'm right in the middle of exams and I just can't deal with this BEEP anymore. Help me please.
  • Options
    It sounds like you are quite stressed and need an avenue to vent at least. Have you thought about an email service? You can always keep posting here, and people will reply. Also, the samaritans do an email service, which is in response to acknowledgment tha some people don't have anyone to talk to, or find it difficult to talk. You don't need to be suicidal to email them, it's worth a try no?

http://www.samaritans.org/talk_to_someone/email.aspx
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    It sounds like you are quite stressed and need an avenue to vent at least. Have you thought about an email service? You can always keep posting here, and people will reply. Also, the samaritans do an email service, which is in response to acknowledgment tha some people don't have anyone to talk to, or find it difficult to talk. You don't need to be suicidal to email them, it's worth a try no?

http://www.samaritans.org/talk_to_someone/email.aspx

I agree with Katralla there are so many people ready and able to help you but you need to find an avenue you are comfy with, plus why don't you try another doctor?
    Stay strong whatever you do because things can and will get better x
  • Options
    thanks katralla, that seems quite appealing. just got an alert from my doctor that i need to have a follow up (4 months later) so have booked an appointment with another GP. am scared because i'm not sure what to expect... anyone know what this follow up after this referral will be about or anything?
  • Options
    My friends don't understand how I can be so flipping loud and normal around them and then have all these feelings. But I guess it means I'm just hiding it all away. I don't want to keep all my feelings bottled up, but my friends are frightened. They don't know how to help me. And they don't understand what's going on

Thats practicly the same with me, I'm apparently 'hiding' myself away at lunch, so I'm not there, but some people came and saw me and say "Had to make sure your ok because they are just bitching about you down there, but we're on your side, we're sticking up for you"

So Yeah, they're worried if you act differently - but it is because they care for you and want to help... I can't really offer any help on this because then I'd just be really hypocritical as I haven't sorted it out.
    But what I can do is wish you luck and hope everything comes out ok for you. Theres always a bright light! Hope you feel better about what you've posted soon, :thumb: x
  • Options
    ahh, see the problem with that bleepy is that my friends don't stick up for me. everyone i know is a bitch. its just the school we're at. so yes, i sat at a table at lunch and overhead 10 girls bitching about me and 2 of my best friends just sat there. they knew i was there. they knew i heard. no apology. this is what life is like for me. people wonder why i hate school.

my friends say to me, how can you be so selfish and talk so lightly about suicide. i don't. they're just ridiculous. i'm at the end of my tether.

a friend said she would help if she knew how to. she gets a bit uncomfortable when i say anything to do with suicide and self-harming though. she said it makes her feel sick, which i can understand. but i want her to help. what do i say to her? how can she help?
  • Options
    Suicide and Self harming can be a really touchy subject for anyone, even if they've experienced things in that area or not, it's not the easiest to talk about.
    About your 'friends' bitching, I do understand, it's not nice - espc. if you know what's being said.

You could say to the friend that said she would help, that you just need someone there to talk to? They don't need to say anything that may help, just listen so you feel the weight being lifted off your shoulders.

Is there any teacher you can talk to? I know it doesn't seem like a nice thing to do, because it's a teacher, but surely there must be one you can talk to? Don't have to mention the self-harming just let them know how you feel so they can help, extra support and things.

Try talking to your friend tommorow :)
    and think about the teachers, a form tutor maybe?