Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Music Recommendation Thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Recommend some music for everyone on the site. Who are your favourites? Who's underrated?

To kick off the thread, I recommend Sadistik. For anyone interested in rap/hip hop, this guy is on a completely other level. Check him out.

I need new music - what do you recommend? :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    We have our own TheSite playlist on Spotify (one of the greatest inventions ever) where people can dump music they like. It's here: http://open.spotify.com/user/kermitbantam/playlist/10UPGoa3FT5Gt8VwbrPt4B

From memory, the songs I put on were Captain Beefheart, Blue Oyster Cult, Johnny Cash, Kiss and Pat Benetar. Old rock stuff.
  • Options
    I've also just put Rodrigo y Gabriela's cover of Metallica's Orion on there as it's awesome.
  • Options
    TintedLens wrote: »
    To kick off the thread, I recommend Sadistik. For anyone interested in rap/hip hop, this guy is on a completely other level. Check him out.

Good shout. For anyone else who's interested in rap/hip-hop that's on the positive tip, try: Blackalicious, Blue Scholars, Bus Driver, Jurassic 5 and Classified.
  • Options
    Ooooh, people on the rap front.

Check out 7L & Esoteric, Gangstarr (if you don't know him, which is just unlikely), Mos Def, Pharcyde (the early stuff), Atmosphere, Abdominal, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Eyedea & Abilities, Sage Francis (and his former crew Non-Prophets), Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Dilated People, People under the stairs.

I always thought I know my hiphop, but I've been to a party on saturday with a DJ who brought fucking brilliant rap tunes, and I really mean cream of the crop and I probably knew one, two tracks maximum. Damn, I wish I'd asked him for his playlist this evening.

/e: And of course, something that seems to be really unknown: Mickey Avalon. For example
    http://www.lyricsmania.com/dipped_in_vaseline_lyrics_mickey_avalon.html this.

From an interview I hear that Mickey Avalon was piss poor whoring himself out for money to pay for rent and drugs and as answer to the question why he is making music, he said it beats sucking off fat dudes for a tenner.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Ooooh, people on the rap front.

Check out 7L & Esoteric, Gangstarr (if you don't know him, which is just unlikely), Mos Def, Pharcyde (the early stuff), Atmosphere, Abdominal, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Eyedea & Abilities, Sage Francis (and his former crew Non-Prophets), Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Dilated People, People under the stairs.

Wicked list, dude. Mos Def, Immortal Technique and Pharcyde have never really flicked my bean, but Atmosphere, Abdominal, Sage Francis (sometimes) and Jedi Mind Tricks are absolutely top.

I've just been listening through Atmosphere's 'Sad Clown...' series, brilliant stuff. You listened to much else from the Rhymesayers label? I've seen Brother Ali a couple of times - he's ace. Some of P.O.S's stuff is really good as well. While I remeber: Chali 2na's album is big ... as is anything by Pacewon & Mr Green....Braintax too.

Man, it's not often I get to wax lyrical with someone about rap and hip-hop, as it probably shows! :D
  • Options
    Wicked list, dude. Mos Def, Immortal Technique and Pharcyde have never really flicked my bean, but Atmosphere, Abdominal, Sage Francis (sometimes) and Jedi Mind Tricks are absolutely top.

I've just been listening through Atmosphere's 'Sad Clown...' series, brilliant stuff. You listened to much else from the Rhymesayers label? I've seen Brother Ali a couple of times - he's ace. Some of P.O.S's stuff is really good as well. While I remeber: Chali 2na's album is big ... as is anything by Pacewon & Mr Green....Braintax too.

Man, it's not often I get to wax lyrical with someone about rap and hip-hop, as it probably shows! :D

True, I always have the feeling we are a dying-out species. At least in Austria hiphop is not really big.

Atmosphere is really good. I don't like every piece of work they do, but what I dig of them is outstanding imo. The tracks "sunshine", "you" or "Smart Went Crazy" are timeless for me :)

Pharcyde is a mixed pot too. While the new stuff is just shit (the members just left one by one) just rapping about marijuana full stop the old albums like Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde are classics.

Immortal Technique is at times a bit too crude and vulgar for the true connoisseur, but he has some magnificent tracks. If you don'T know "Land of the Gun" or "Dance with the Devil" you should check them out. Latter one left me so taken aback when I listened to it the first time that I nearly cried lol.

Braintax is ace yea, along with the rest of his UK fellows Task Force, Mysthro, Jehst, Lewis Parker et al.

ah, good stuff.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    True, I always have the feeling we are a dying-out species. At least in Austria hiphop is not really big.

I'm hesitant about identifying myself as a hip-hop fan as it inevitably involves the conversation that goes 'but not hip-hop like gangster rap....'.
  • Options
    I'm hesitant about identifying myself as a hip-hop fan as it inevitably involves the conversation that goes 'but not hip-hop like gangster rap....'.

oh yea lol. Whenever I am asked what kind of music I listen to I take a deep breath to explain myself after I say "rap" before they try to change the subject. I shouldn't have to do this, but rap is not popular enough so the average Joe knows the unpopular (and at the same time good) stuff, just what MTV brings. Sadly, but to the ignoramus rap is just about cash, drugs, hoes and violence, even tho they don't even know how deep rap goes to have enough knowledge about it to have an educated opinion.

It's an uphill battle.
  • Options
    *clears throat*

1. METRIC
    2. deadmau5
    3. sick of sarah
    4. uh huh her
    5. VersaEmerge
    6. hunter valentine (especially 'the stalker' i'm in love with that song)
    7. sunshine underground
    8. rise against
    9. Brandi Carlile
    10. holly miranda
    11. jacks mannequin

Thats all i can think of just now, i tried to pick less obvious ones i love like muse and biffy :p and of course paramore :D
  • Options
    Strubbles, have you heard the Mos Dub mixtape? http://mosdub.com/
    I quite like it :)

Though I don't really follow hip hop I quite love the Wild Style soundtrack :thumb:

And I think Kevin Ayers, Robert Wyatt, Léo Ferré, and The Modern Lovers deserve more recognition, though it is all old stuff.

Also, these guys are my friends so you should check them out: http://www.myspace.com/baybeatcollective
    http://soundcloud.com/baybeatcollective
    :cool:
  • Options
    Cpt reminded me again how amazing Brother Ali is.

I will soon inherit a jiggabyte of really good rap music by a friend. All listened to at tribe vibes, a radio show, from 8-10 each thursday on a local radio station and then researched artist and title and boom. Assorted list.
  • Options
    how do i add stuff to the spotify playlist? Cat Empire people!

EDIT oh no wait I did it. listening people????
  • Options
    8. rise against

:heart::heart::heart::heart:
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    how do i add stuff to the spotify playlist? Cat Empire people!

EDIT oh no wait I did it. listening people????

I'm listening to 'Sly - International' at the moment, it's pretty toe-tappy. You obviously like it so much you decided to add it twice!

It's also interesting to see the usernames you lot have chosen for Spotify: LankyBecca, lenjen1007 and Megehhhh. :D
  • Options
  • Options
    I can remember when rock and roll was still popular and no it wasn't in the late 1950s and early 1960s, but in the mid 1970s to the early 1980s during the rock and roll revival. Here are the Stray Cats an American rock and roll band playing in 1980: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rowbf-0tCcA&feature=related

Other big rock and roll bands of that era were Showaddywady and Darts from England.
  • Options
    I feel as though I may have to join spotify...
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I feel as though I may have to join spotify...

Get involved! It's brilliant. For £5 a month you can get it advert-free as well - which is well worth doing because the adverts are about the worst I've ever been exposed to! :D
  • Options
    Get involved! It's brilliant. For £5 a month you can get it advert-free as well - which is well worth doing because the adverts are about the worst I've ever been exposed to! :D
    I did it already :p. I got the £9.99 one because I can abuse it on my phone when I (regularly) forget my iPod.
  • Options
    Free spotify all the way :yippe:
  • Options
    Note to everyone: this little Spotify race that's going on between me and naun was ALL her idea :yes:.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Note to everyone: this little Spotify race that's going on between me and naun was ALL her idea :yes:.

:eek: LIES! :D well... on the bright side, everyone now has shit loads of new music to listen to :p
  • Options
    Free spotify all the way :yippe:

same here!! its what, 3 mins of adverts out of every 30? it's like listening to a radio station that plays music just for you!
    I'm listening to 'Sly - International' at the moment, it's pretty toe-tappy. You obviously like it so much you decided to add it twice!

It's also interesting to see the usernames you lot have chosen for Spotify: LankyBecca, lenjen1007 and Megehhhh. :D
    whoops its gone now. Lullaby is my favourite song right now, it reminds me of boyfriends in the summertime.
  • Options
    same here!! its what, 3 mins of adverts out of every 30? it's like listening to a radio station that plays music just for you!

I was getting adverts about once every three songs. They were truly awful as well!
    whoops its gone now. Lullaby is my favourite song right now, it reminds me of boyfriends in the summertime.

I've just added a bunch of stuff, though I've just realised that it's exposed my actual name in doing so - the anonymity of CptCoatHanger falls away! :D
  • Options
    I was getting adverts about once every three songs. They were truly awful as well!

I've just added a bunch of stuff, though I've just realised that it's exposed my actual name in doing so - the anonymity of CptCoatHanger falls away! :D
    I already knew you were an adam :D

can I just say there is some god AWFUL stuff on this playlist... bad site-ers... bad.
  • Options

can I just say there is some god AWFUL stuff on this playlist... bad site-ers... bad.

your stuff? :p haha just joshin'

Although, its a big mix of music genres!
  • Options
    I already knew you were an adam :D

I was following naun's example....
  • Options
    I wish i wasn't called naun on it now :grump:
  • Options
    Haha :D.
  • Options
    Apparently Spotify disapproves of my adding so much to the playlist, it won't let me listen now without crashing :(.