Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Healthy-ish Chips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now obviously normal chips are cooked in a lot of fat/oil and very un-healthy, here is an alternative

Ingredients

650 g (1 lb 7 oz) baking potatoes, peeled
1 teaspoon oil
1 egg white

Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Put a kettle on to boil.

Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and cook gently for 5 minutes. Drain, then dry on kitchen paper. Cut each potato lengthways into slices about 2 cm (¾ in) thick, then cut each slice into two or three thick wedges.

Brush a nonstick baking tray with some of the oil. Beat the egg white until it is frothy. Toss the chips in the egg white, gently shake off any excess, then spread them out on the tray. Bake for 35 minutes, turning them over halfway through cooking.

Enjoy!! The recipe is not mine I did copy it but We've been using it for ages!! Nice crispy chips without the typical fat content.

Comments

• Options
    ooh thats nearly the same as what i do :)

except i dont dip the chips in the egg, just spray some of that 1 cal spray on the baking tray, put the chips on and then sprinkle them with herbs/chilli/whatever seasoning i fancy :) and then cook for 20 mins

i had some on monday in fact with chilli powder and they were goorgeous :D

good idea spreading the word, most people dont realise healthy chips are very easy to make :)
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Now obviously normal chips are cooked in a lot of fat/oil and very un-healthy, here is an alternative

Ingredients

650 g (1 lb 7 oz) baking potatoes, peeled
    1 teaspoon oil
    1 egg white

Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Put a kettle on to boil.

Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and cook gently for 5 minutes. Drain, then dry on kitchen paper. Cut each potato lengthways into slices about 2 cm (¾ in) thick, then cut each slice into two or three thick wedges.

Brush a nonstick baking tray with some of the oil. Beat the egg white until it is frothy. Toss the chips in the egg white, gently shake off any excess, then spread them out on the tray. Bake for 35 minutes, turning them over halfway through cooking.

Enjoy!! The recipe is not mine I did copy it but We've been using it for ages!! Nice crispy chips without the typical fat content.

Looks good- thanks for that :)
  • Options
    I heard a while ago that eating vinegar with food reduces the amount of fat your body can absorb - it's too low(or high? i forget) a ph level for some of the enzymes or something. Just thought I'd add that as a side note to healthy chips! I love mine covered in vinegar anyway...
  • Options
    I actually heard that homemade chips done in the chip pan and thoroughly dabbed dry from any remaining oil when done can be healthier than boiled potatoes as frying takes the starch out which boiling doesn't. Not sure if its 100% accurate but well there you go :)
  • Options
    *Rhia* wrote: »
    I actually heard that homemade chips done in the chip pan and thoroughly dabbed dry from any remaining oil when done can be healthier than boiled potatoes as frying takes the starch out which boiling doesn't. Not sure if its 100% accurate but well there you go :)

doubt it as most of the fat is absorbed in the potatoes
  • Options
    Probably. It was just something that I heard going around for awhile. Never really affected me though, cos I'm not a big chip fan :)
  • Options
    The recipe sounds interesting but I cover my chips in mayonnaise before i eat them :D
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    The recipe sounds interesting but I cover my chips in mayonnaise before i eat them :D

YES