Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Help with a capsule wardrobe?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello!

I need some advice on a basic capsule work wardrobe and some nice places to shop for business-wear. I've worked front-line in the charity sector for a long time and am now going into a MUCH more formal work environment. This means I can no longer wear the casual stuff I'm used to, and have to buy a basic work wardrobe to get started with.

What would you say are the 'essentials' for a business environment, and where would you advise me to look? Obviously if I can keep it cheaper that would be great, but I'd like to get good-quality things that I won't have to replace any time soon.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I have to be pretty smart for work and try to work round a few plain basics. I've got a black fitted dress (short sleeved and just above the knee), 1 black and 1 grey pencil skirt and a few pairs of smart trousers, although I'm personally trying to move away from wearing trousers all the time as I prefer dresses and skirts these days. Dresses are ace as they save you the hassle of thinking about what top to wear with what bottoms etc. I then try and add interest with a nice top or pair of shoes, you can get these things cheap in places like New Look or the big supermarkets. Most shops have a "workwear" range I think - try Dorothy Perkins, New Look, H&M - a lot of my colleagues and I swear by Asda and Tesco for work clothes though as we all resent spending loads of money on work stuff. It's backfired though as four of us girls all own the same dress and one day I know we're all going to come in wearing it and look ridiculous :D
  • Options
    Tesco stuff I've always found to be pretty good.

I have been known to cycle home in mine not infrequently and it holds up pretty well. If you're new to formal work wear then the supermarket stuff could also be a good start as its cheaper if you adjust what you wear after you've been there a bit.

I'd go for a couple of pairs of smart suit type trousers, but try and mix up brown/black/grey that way you get different combinations.

V-neck jumpers are good, obviously not massively low ones - I find them more comfortable than blouses.

Dark 3/4 sleeve fitted t-shirts are good when its hot as well.
  • Options
    I'd recommend the work trousers from Dorothy Perkins, they last a loooong time, and fit really well (and as a bonus, their 'peite' range trousers are actually the right leg length! no more hemming- amazing)

I usually get plain tshirts from primark, and jumpers too. I think uniglow has some really good plain stuff that is good quality.