Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is this weight / height advice test accurate or is it to make fat people feel better?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm pleased to have shed a further three stones since 2009 but - wanting to lose another two to be well within my BMI target range - a friend recommended the below test which claims to be a far more accurate, sensible way to conform with. If I follow it, I would literally only have 2lbs to lose before I'm classed as a healthy weight for a 6ft7", large frame guy (albeit at the very top of the acceptable scale).

How did your results compare - do you reckon it overestimates?

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

Comments

• Options
    Well the one on that link said i was underweight, which is definately bs, i'd say my BMI's a pretty accurate representation of my body
  • Options
    By factoring in build it gives a better result than BMI alone. using finger length to measure build is slightly more suspect - but the alternative is to measure your wrist and look that up against a table of your height
  • Options
    Big congratulations on your weight loss Neil! :D

I couldn't figure out what body type I have using that method as I have freakishly long fingers. Around the wrist and then some... almost around the ankle! So I just put medium. It says I'm 1lb underweight which is definatly not the case. I have a fair amount of chub plus I'd like to think so muslce under there too. On a normal BMI I'm on the high end of normal. But I'm a fan of so long as my bp and cholesterol stay normal, jeans still fit and I can lift more than that scrawny 12 year old boy I'm all good for in shape :p
  • Options
    it says im of ideal weight, which i am according to other charts too
  • Options
    thats a load of poo.

apparently i'm 25lbs underweight which is obviously not the case. i am a healthy weight with plenty of fat on me!
  • Options
    thats a load of poo.

apparently i'm 25lbs underweight which is obviously not the case. i am a healthy weight with plenty of fat on me!

ever wonder if EVERYTHING says your underweight, it might be you and not every single body measurement test?
  • Options
    How are you supposed to get your fingers around your waist? My fingers are only about 10 or 12 inches long, and that would be a very small waist.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    How are you supposed to get your fingers around your waist? My fingers are only about 10 or 12 inches long, and that would be a very small waist.

Wrist:p
  • Options
    grace wrote: »

Wrist :p

I did it for the laugh. Apparently I'm a few pounds overweight. There was no box to tick for heavily pregnant though ;)
  • Options
    thats a load of poo.

Yeah, it reckons I'm underweight too, which is a load of codswallop - and not in a coy, self-deprecating way; I'm developing a paunch that really needs to do one. :D
  • Options
    Wrist:p

Ohh! I can fit my fingers around my wrist easy peasy!

I'm such a plank sometimes :blush:
  • Options
    This said I'm 3lb overweight whereas with BMI I'm just within the normal range.
  • Options
    Seems over generous to me. Apparently im 8lbs over weight. Bollocks. I need to lose a good 2 stone.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update peeps!

Looks like this really does overestimate after all. Knew it was too good to be true!
  • Options
    I am overweight by 11kgs.

Sounds about right!
  • Options
    Says I am an ideal weight. I would agree with "healthy" rather than "ideal", but that doesn't mean I couldn't do with losing about a stone.

You might find the UK Weightwatchers site a bit more helpful as it gives BMI range as well as weight range: http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/health/asm/index.aspx

According to Weightwatchers, I am on the upper limit of healthy BMI, but I am 1lb over the healthy weight range.