Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weird period.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I came on my period on 5th May and I had sex on 8th. It was a light period and barely there, until the 13th, it started becoming heavy and I'm still bleeding now. Is it something to do with the sex?

Comments

• Options
    Hi lyric :wave:

Periods are funny things and can differ hugely from woman to woman, as wll as according to other factors in your life such as stress, weight loss/gain and changing your exercise regime or contraceptive method etc. I've had a read about sex during your period and found the following information which sounds like it could apply to you:
    Ovulation usually takes place roughly 14 days after the first day of the start of a period; however, the exact timing can vary greatly from woman to woman. Some women know when they are ovulating because they can feel a slight pain in their lower abdomen. Other women may bleed slightly in the middle of their cycle. Women often mistake slight bleeding that can occur with ovulation as their period.
    During orgasm, your uterus goes through a number of muscular contractions, which can help to speed up menstruation; as your uterus contracts, the endometrial lining begins to shift and is forced out through the vagina. Additionally, semen contains prostaglandins, hormones responsible for causing uterine contractions. The combination of prostaglandins and orgasm may contribute to an increased number of uterine contractions and therefore cause the rest of your menstrual blood to be quickly shed.

So it's quite possible that you were ovulating, and then having sex helped speed up your period! It's a tricky one to call as every woman's periods and cycle are different but these two paragraphs seem to make sense in your case. What do you think?

I got these quotes from this website - there's quite a lot to read so I thought I'd just pick out the relevant bits! You could also have a look at Netdoctor or Like It Is for some more general info on periods.

Some women like to keep track of their cycle by noting down the start and end dates each month. That way you can build up a picture of what's normal for you and you'll know what to look out for if there are any irregularities. If you've got a diary, maybe you could mark the dates with a little dot or something and you'll start to build up a pattern.

Finally, if your heavy period carries on for longer than normal it may be a good idea to get checked out by a doctor, just for peace of mind!

Take care,

Cat
  • Options
    Cataska wrote: »
    Hi lyric :wave:

Periods are funny things and can differ hugely from woman to woman, as wll as according to other factors in your life such as stress, weight loss/gain and changing your exercise regime or contraceptive method etc. I've had a read about sex during your period and found the following information which sounds like it could apply to you:

So it's quite possible that you were ovulating, and then having sex helped speed up your period! It's a tricky one to call as every woman's periods and cycle are different but these two paragraphs seem to make sense in your case. What do you think?

I got these quotes from this website - there's quite a lot to read so I thought I'd just pick out the relevant bits! You could also have a look at Netdoctor or Like It Is for some more general info on periods.

Some women like to keep track of their cycle by noting down the start and end dates each month. That way you can build up a picture of what's normal for you and you'll know what to look out for if there are any irregularities. If you've got a diary, maybe you could mark the dates with a little dot or something and you'll start to build up a pattern.

Finally, if your heavy period carries on for longer than normal it may be a good idea to get checked out by a doctor, just for peace of mind!

Take care,

Cat

I do mark my period dates on my calender, and this one is 13 days long so far and I think it's coming to an end now.
    The thing is, my periods aren't usually heavy and ever since the sex, it has been really heavy and I'm just wondering whether it could be do with something like an egg implanting itself in the womb and then coming out as a period as I did not use any contraception during the sex.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Why are you not using contraception? Are you trying to get pregnant?
  • Options
    I thought you were on the pill? If you're not taking it at the times your meant to, that can also mess up your periods.
  • Options
    I thought you were on the pill? If you're not taking it at the times your meant to, that can also mess up your periods.

This.

I'd say it's almost definitely to do with the pill, which, IIRC you've only recently started taking.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    This.

I'd say it's almost definitely to do with the pill, which, IIRC you've only recently started taking.

Yup. Especially if you've only started taking it in the last month or so. Think when I first went on it, I had a loooooooong period.
  • Options
    lyric wrote: »

as I did not use any contraception during the sex.

Thank you.

Don't be daft , Don't be silly , put a Condom on his willy :thumb:
  • Options
    As purplestarfish and Kaff said, if you're new to the pill, this can definitely cause a long period and spotting inbetween periods, especially in the first month of taking it - it's called "breakthrough bleeding" and is very common amongst new pill users.

Have a look at this answer on askTheSite as well - it's got some great info as well as some links which you can have a look at.

Finally, don't forget the importance of a condom - even if you are on the pill it won't protect agains STIs so it's best to use one until you've both been tested....
    Louisek wrote: »
    Don't be daft , Don't be silly , put a Condom on his willy :thumb:
    :yes:
    Couldn't have put it better myself Louisek!!
  • Options
    I came on AGAIN a few days ago :/
  • Options
    The pill can cause irregular bleeding for a good few months until your hormones adjust and settle down.

If it's concerning you, see a doctor.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks.