Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Independence has gone!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, after i crashed my car last winter, me n my dad found a 40 year old car for sale, and as car enthusiasts we bought it. I was able to drive it for a short while at xmas but since then its been worked on so I cant use it.

Now, this was fine at first but i'm home from uni and am going out of my mind with frustration!!! Its booked for an mot next week and once thats sorted ill be able to use it, but my dad told me earlier that it might not be finished.

Thing is, at uni im in a big town, everything within walking distance, can do what i want, when i want, and back here, in the ass end of nowhere, I cant get anywhere, you have to drive 20 mins to get to town!!! I dont want to have to rely on the bus or lifts, I just want my independence back!!

When my dad told me it might not be able to go for the mot next week i had a lil rant and my mum and dad now think im blaming him for it not being ready which im not!!

I probably sound like a spoilt brat here but i dont care! I'm like the lions at the zoo just pacing up and down. Its not the car so much as my independence gaaahhhh!!! :shocking: :mad:

Comments

• Options
    Walk?

Not being without a car isn't that bad. I can't drive and never will be able to do so and I just get on with it. Yes, it's frsutrating at times; but I've learnt to get by.
  • Options
    Cant walk when town is a 20 minute drive away. This is the thing, living where i live you need a car unless you wanna be a hermit
  • Options
    I would be dicked off too, I hate being without a car, makes me feel trapped!
  • Options
    do your parents have another car you could be insured on as a last resort?
  • Options
    Nah they need both their cars for work :(
  • Options
    Bike. :thumb:

Great exercise and you get a lot faster than walking :) Also, I don't see how refusing to use the bus makes you lose your independence?
  • Options
    It doesnt, I could get the bus, i'm gonna have to for work next week, but its not the same! I dont want to have to rely on the bus that takes twice as long to get anywhere when i can drive where and how i like. Grrrrr its so frustrating!!!
  • Options
    What's up with the car, Lexi? Get your hands dirty... ;)
  • Options
    What's up with the car, Lexi? Get your hands dirty... ;)

Stafford ain't too bad is it? (apart from dance venues or lack of).

Lexi though, I have once shared your pain. A small village 7 miles from your nearest town (and even that town is small), isn't the way for a sociable young adult to spend life. It was mid 2002, I just finished uni, got back to the quiet village life for 4 months. Then one September day, bored out of my skull, I moved to Stafford on my own initiative and there was no turning back :-) I know it's different with you Lexi because you're still studying, but once that's over, I'd move the hell outta there :-)
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Stafford ain't too bad is it? (apart from dance venues or lack of).

Lexi though, I have once shared your pain. A small village 7 miles from your nearest town (and even that town is small), isn't the way for a sociable young adult to spend life. It was mid 2002, I just finished uni, got back to the quiet village life for 4 months. Then one September day, bored out of my skull, I moved to Stafford on my own initiative and there was no turning back :-) I know it's different with you Lexi because you're still studying, but once that's over, I'd move the hell outta there :-)

Yes! Thank you! Finally someone who actually understands! I definately plan to move out as quick as possible after uni, job and money pending obviously.

Anyway, today we made good progress, basically fitting it all back together for the mot next saturday. Carpets in, seat and belts, front valance etc. Just gotta do the bonnet and spare tyre tomoro.

Had a bit of a rant before because my dad said we may have to push the mot back a week but we worked his ass off out there today... gonna have to do something for him to make it up :chin: If i get about 2 years use out it, it will have paid for itself so that good news. feeling better about it now.
  • Options
    I rely on the train all the time. It can be a pain, but it's not that bad really. Means it takes longer but means you don't have to concentrate on the road and it's less anti-social!
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    A small village 7 miles from your nearest town

One of the Haywoods? ;)
  • Options
    I empathise, i also live in a lil village about 20mins from the closest town, which is not too bad within itself, but when there are no footpaths between villages and no buses going to town from village it's annoying when you don't have a car (espesh for food shopping!)
  • Options
    It sucks I agree, I can't even afford to get my motorbike MOTd / insured so I have to rely on my bicycle.
  • Options
    Yaaaaayyy!! Got the bonnet on today and shes now driveable!! :D
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    It sucks I agree, I can't even afford to get my motorbike MOTd / insured so I have to rely on my bicycle.

Assume you have looked into maintaining it yourself? If not, try the local adult education college. Don't laugh, but me and my OH have enrolled on a m/cycle maintenance course and 'himself' has just saved a tidy sum changing his own sprockets and chain. Course cost £60 for 5 weeks. MOT checks were covered in the first practical session. All tools and tutor's time (v. flexible) included; Haynes manual, £20ish; parts £150ish, confidence ... priceless.
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Yaaaaayyy!! Got the bonnet on today and shes now driveable!! :D

Yaaaaaayyyy!! :thumb:
  • Options
    Assume you have looked into maintaining it yourself? If not, try the local adult education college. Don't laugh, but me and my OH have enrolled on a m/cycle maintenance course and 'himself' has just saved a tidy sum changing his own sprockets and chain. Course cost £60 for 5 weeks. MOT checks were covered in the first practical session. All tools and tutor's time (v. flexible) included; Haynes manual, £20ish; parts £150ish, confidence ... priceless.

Sounds interesting but can't really afford the course right now.

One problem is the exhaust is rusted / leaking and either needs a good quality repair or a whole replacement which would cost £400. The bike was £800 when I bought it.