Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm confused

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, my period was a week late and my boobs were huge, so I was persuaded to take a pregancy test. It was a cheap pink-lines type, and i /think/ it was positive, pretty sure. But then I got home and started my period, took a test the next day and that was negative (more expensive type, spells it out for you - but I did have a lot to drink to make me pee...).

Can anyone who knows about this sort of stuff tell me if I ever was pregnant, was it a chemical pregnancy or just false positive?

Or, as my friend reckons, I could still be pregnant because the second test was too dilute (and her mum still had periods when pregnant with her)?

Sorry for the ramble, it's all a bit confusing. Ta. xx

Comments

• Options
    take another one just be make sure, if after taking that test your still unsure go to your doctor. And yes you can still have periods when your pregnant.
  • Options
    I would wait a few days and then take another test.

True false positives are extremely rare, so there are three likely possibilities here:

1. It wasn't a true positive on the first test - was there colour in both lines? You can get ghost lines in the places the lines should be, which can look like very faint positives, but are greyish or colourless.

2. The first was a true positive, but it was a chemical pregnancy and your period came as normal (this is really common).

3. You are pregnant, and the second test was a false negative. The expensive digital tests are very easy to read, but not necessarily more sensitive than cheaper tests. In fact, the ones from poundland are twice as sensitive as Clearblue digital. The dilute pee could possibly be a factor too.

The hormone the test is looking for doubles every 2-3 days in a normal pregnancy, so I'd wait at least 3 days and do another test. Good luck - hope you get the result you're wanting :)
  • Options
    try and use your first thing in the morning pee too, its more concentrated i heard for pregnancy hormones