Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

bio oil?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey
do any of you have experience of bio oil on self harm scars?
does it work? how long does it take?
is there anything else any one has used?
thanks!

Comments

• Options
    have used the palmers scar serum which was good too but smelled vile.
  • Options
    Lemon wrote: »
    hey
    do any of you have experience of bio oil on self harm scars?
    does it work? how long does it take?
    is there anything else any one has used?
    thanks!

hey, im using it at the moment on sh scars. it really depends on the scar, i have noticed that they healed over quickly but the colour change is pretty slow, mine are still dark pink. i think it would depend on the size of the scar. and err, i really like the smell!
  • Options
    im sure it's supposed to quicken the healing process? will googley

ok it claims to help the appearance of scars
    Bio-Oil helps improve the appearance of all scar types. It is also highly effective in helping to maintain the elasticity of scar tissue on joints and other high-mobility areas.
  • Options
    yeah i can deal with the white, just not in your face reddish. nicebutdim23 reccomended me a product called keromask which have ordered from ebay. it's supposed to be really good at hiding the appearance of scars. maybe that would help the o.p until they have began to fade. will post how my try of it goes. :)
  • Options
    Ok thanks guys
    i will give them a try
    unfortunatly cant buy anything off the internet without parents finding out which isnt an option tbh!
  • Options
    Hello there!

I used Bio Oil for a few months and it helped to reduce the reddness and swolen look to my scars. But if you want something better then make a drs. appointment (fake illness if you dont want to arouse concern from your parents) and tell them you would like to try a steriod cream. It worked really well for me and even made the skin smooth (no grooves or raised marks or discolouration).

I hope this helps, well done on stopping cutting though =D You should be really proud of yourself. xx Goodluck.

You wont be able to fully get rid of the marks no matter what you do so a massive thing is to learn to accept it.
  • Options
    Hmm never heard of this stuff before, Ive got some minor scarring going to occur. Not through self harm, but it should all work in the same way yeah?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Hmm never heard of this stuff before, Ive got some minor scarring going to occur. Not through self harm, but it should all work in the same way yeah?

im a bit scared by 'going to occur', ye ok?? but yeah! it seems pretty all purpose actually. stretch marks as well as scars.
  • Options
    I just got bored using bio oil, it takes so long!! I did find facial redness remover worked well though on pinky scars.
  • Options
    just to add, keromask is also available in larger branches of boots stores after a one to one consultation instore (conducted in private)
  • Options
    how would i go about getting a one on one for keromask? how much does it cost and do i have to be a certian age
    too scared to go doctors cus they would tell my parents or make me get treatment i should think?
    where would i get facial redness remover?
    can i buy steriod cream without a doctors appmnt?
  • Options
    im a bit scared by 'going to occur', ye ok?? but yeah! it seems pretty all purpose actually. stretch marks as well as scars.

Open wounds sustained during vigourous hillside activity, ie falling down a small hill when running.
  • Options
    Lemon wrote: »
    how would i go about getting a one on one for keromask? how much does it cost and do i have to be a certian age
    too scared to go doctors cus they would tell my parents or make me get treatment i should think?
    where would i get facial redness remover?
    can i buy steriod cream without a doctors appmnt?

i just phoned up and made an apt. i dont think you have to be a certain age.
  • Options
    Hey just read your post - a good thing i have found is these scar plasters from boots - they look like genuine plasters and you can get them in most stores if your looking for something that you can get a hold of easily. They are called "scar reduction patches".
  • Options
    Arnt scar reduction patches REALLY expensive?
  • Options
    yeah i used it on self injury scars on my arms once....i've kept the ones on my legs, hips and stomach though. it worked really well actually, i'd recommend it. use it as soon as the scar is no longer scabbed over and it'll be fine. might work differently for different skin types though, also check that you're not allergic to any of the ingredients too. best of luck.
  • Options
    I've tried rubbing lemon juice on mine with a cotton wool ball and it fades deep brown ones a little, so that helps. Other than that, all I can say is what everyone else has suggested.