Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

David Cameron is the new UK Prime Minister

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just hope the Lib Dems have got a decent number of their policies into this agreement. There have already been hints that their £10k tax threshold has been adopted. That would presumably benefit most people on these boards. Except you Thunderstruck. ;)

He also mentioned reforming government, so I'm interested to see what form that will take. Other than fixed-term parliaments, of course.

Oh, and I really hope Vince Cable is chancellor. But I doubt it somehow.
  • Options
    Samantha Cameron looked terrified and then tried really hard not to fall off her heels. oops.
  • Options
    Anyone know of a calculator that could figure out my earnings if tax threshold went up to £10k?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I just hope the Lib Dems have got a decent number of their policies into this agreement. There have already been hints that their £10k tax threshold has been adopted. That would presumably benefit most people on these boards. Except you Thunderstruck. ;)

He also mentioned reforming government, so I'm interested to see what form that will take. Other than fixed-term parliaments, of course.

Oh, and I really hope Vince Cable is chancellor. But I doubt it somehow.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what the coalition agreement is. I think I shall wait to see what that entails before I make my mind up. I'm intrigued to see how much co-operation has been made on both sides and which cabinet seats Cameron is passing to Lib Dems.

And Cable will not be chancellor. It's going to be Osborne.

And, although I really dislike Cameron, I have to admit that I warmed to him more as a person just before he went into no 10. The look and 'squee' that he had with his wife for just a second was quite warming. I did like it and made me like him a tad more than before.
  • Options
    Bet's on Vince Cable as Chief Secretary to the Treasury, with Clegg as Foreign or Home and Huhne also in cabinet.

But congratulations to David Cameron and commiserations to Gordon Brown for his dignified final speech
  • Options
    does this mean the conservatives are in power now then? if not, will they get more of a say in things because the PM is conservative?

sorry, i'm really thick when it comes to politics :o

i voted labour :grump: i'm probably gonna be out of a job now!
  • Options
    They haven't announced the details, but bet your granny it's a LibDem - Conservative coalition.

I think it's unfortunate that cuts are inevitable, no matter who is in power, such is the state we've got ourselves into.
  • Options
    its a sad day for Britain :(
  • Options
    Eurgh George Osbourne confirmed as chancellor. He really is the weak link in that party.
  • Options
    They haven't announced the details, but bet your granny it's a LibDem - Conservative coalition.

I think it's unfortunate that cuts are inevitable, no matter who is in power, such is the state we've got ourselves into.

so labour won't really have any power at all then?

i'm screwed :(
  • Options
    Nope. The people have spoken.

Ain't democracy a bitch?
  • Options
    does this mean the conservatives are in power now then?
    Kind of.
    if not, will they get more of a say in things because the PM is conservative?
    Well they have more of a say because they've got more MPs, and therefore more votes. Don't worry, you're not the only one that doesn't know. But I'm guessing they'll come to some arrangement to vote for certain parts of the Tory manifesto, and certain parts of the Lib Dem one, and maybe some compromises. I'm not sure how it'll all work though.
  • Options

"The people have spoken, and they've said "Eurgh"" - Ian Hislop :D
  • Options
    Haha, that was an awesome episode.

Whilst the people have not necessarily said, "We want Dave", they certainly have said, "We don't want Gordon". Whatever you may think of him, losing 91 seats in an election speaks volumes.
  • Options
  • Options
    i'm really worried about losing my job now :(

if i lose my current job, i'll have to take a massive pay drop and i'll probably lose my home :(
  • Options
    Why, what do you do?
  • Options
    Oh dear, a Tory in charge of health. Hopefully a Lib will get Education.
  • Options
    Double the operational tour bonus? :D
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Oh dear, a Tory in charge of health. Hopefully a Lib will get Education.

Iain Dale (Tory blogger) said it's almost certain that it's going to David Laws.
  • Options
    i'm really worried about losing my job now :(

if i lose my current job, i'll have to take a massive pay drop and i'll probably lose my home :(

Don't worry you're not the only one :no:
  • Options
    Least the Libs have got a foothold in there. A few more seats and it could have been 100% Tory.

I shall reserve judgement.
    Samantha Cameron looked terrified and then tried really hard not to fall off her heels. oops.

They could have got her a chair! Bet her ankles were like water balloons after a few minutes standing in those heels :(
  • Options
    I just hope the Lib Dems have got a decent number of their policies into this agreement. There have already been hints that their £10k tax threshold has been adopted.

Yes i am sure the 10k threshold will be put into practice, but don't expect to be any better off as the diffrence in earnings will most probably be deducted from housing benefit,council tax benefits, tax credits etc. Not to mention that vat will be put up in the first budget.

The torys can't help but rob the working class people while making sure the well off do not suffer, its just in their nature.

The country has been convinced that this economic crisis is Labours fault its simply not true, if it was not for the foundations laid by them we would have been in even more trouble.

Lets see how it feels when mortgage rates start to rise at an alarming rate and wages stay the same, then the pain that has been avoided under Labour will bite.
  • Options

Nice shoes but bad dress.
  • Options

Ain't democracy a bitch?

It is with this fucked up electoral system, yes. The people of the south east of England voted Conservative,and the rest of us are stuck with the Pilsbury dough boy and his Etonian chums. Fingers crossed the coalition breaks down.

I'm with Suzy - sad, sad day for the country.
  • Options
    So what if mortgage rates rise at a crazy rate, they are at a bit of a low at the minute aint they?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    So what if mortgage rates rise at a crazy rate, they are at a bit of a low at the minute aint they?

If mortgage rates rise then at best people have less money to spend that means we get locked into a long recession, at worst as happened the last time the torys were in charge intrest rates went into double figures and families were losing their homes right across the country.
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    Fingers crossed the coalition breaks down.

That smacks of selfish party politics over and above the good of the country. If this coalition leads to stable government and does resolve the various huge issues that face our country, then I'm for it.

In fact, the Lib Dem social conscience will make for good checks and balances against many Tory policies so ... good luck guys! :thumb:
  • Options
    commiserations to Gordon Brown for his dignified final speech

I have to agree. Bless him.
  • Options
    No it's not selfish party politics, it's my belief that a Tory-Liberal coalition won't in any way be a progressive alliance, and that those who are poor will be hit the hardest. As is ever the case under the Tories.

Ideally, the Lib Dems will push the Tories for electoral reform, then having achieved it the coalition will collapse, we can have another general election and vote for a Lib-Lab progressive coalition. That's what I'm hoping for.