Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Let's talk happy drugs? Ranty thread.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long have you been on your anti-d's for? Or how long have you been off them?

I started on fluox when I was 17 - I'm about to turn 21 and in varying doses of varying types I have never been off them. It feels like an absolute lifetime especially as I find it quite hard to achieve orgasm on them (well I became sexually active after I got on them so not really sure) - does anyone else have side effects from theirs? Any success stories?

Feeling the need for a little rant/motivation right not

Comments

• Options
    Not really had any encounters with this
  • Options
    yeah a mod put this on sex as well as health so this one is just for the sex side i guess. i have heard guys suffer from this too. An interesting twist to the usual sex theads, no?
  • Options
    Too scared to even go to my doctors to get some, even though i get severly depressed. I just use the herbm right now, to keep me going. So i can't really say i've any success.

Have you tried going without them? But with an optomistic look on things?
  • Options
    Too scared to even go to my doctors to get some, even though i get severly depressed. I just use the herbm right now, to keep me going. So i can't really say i've any success.

Have you tried going without them? But with an optomistic look on things?

I am going down the does atm but as yet its really not recommended to go without entirely - i have been quite dangerously low. plus you can get nasty side effects/withdrawal if you dont go down the doses carefully before you go off them.

The sex part is a nightmare tho. I generally fake it with guys :S
  • Options
    I've been on anti depressants for years. They are so weird because they have completely different effects on people. Two people may take the exact same pill, and one person will be great with it, and the other one will be sick and have all kinds of side effects.

Luckily there are a lot of choices nowdays, so you can just keep trying them until you find one that works for you. Unfortunately it's not quite as easy as that sounds though because they can be very disruptive to your life. The one I'm on at the moment (Escitalopram) gives me unbelievable insomnia, lethargy, and appetite gain. It settled after several months though so now it's not too bad and the main effect is really good now.

I used to take one called Paroxetine which was very good as well. The sexual side effects weren't too good with that one though. It made my erections a bit weak which as a guy just doesn't feel nice. It looked ok, but it just didn't 'feel' hard and it ruined some of the sensitivity. Apparently these drugs have similar effects on ladies too. It's such a shame. But there are things you can do like changing dosage and taking other suppliments to help counteract it. Best advice I can give is just totally discard any feelings of shyness about this stuff, and dump all your problems on to your doctor. That's his/her job. Don't be scared to tell them everything, they have heard it all before! So just rely on them to help you and it can really make things a lot better for you. And once you open up to them, you'll find it all gets much easier in the future.

Good luck anyway. I have much respect for anyone who has to go through these pain in the arse mental problems and take these pills. It's not an easy thing to go through. Good luck. *hugs*