Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

pasta bake in fridge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im retarded. need a foodie

i made pasta bake on friday night (veggie). put leftovers in the fridge in some tupperware. is it ok to eat tonight?

Comments

• Options
    yeah itll be fine

probably taste even better than the first night
  • Options
    damn. my heeby jeebyness got the better of me and i binned it. it wasnt actually very nice pasta bake. the sauce was white instead of my usually tomatoey one. no big loss. thanks tho
  • Options
    ah, i always worry about this too and can never work out how long things will last for in the fridge!

my friend made curry and left it out on the surface in a pan all night and ate it the next day. obviously she was fine but i'm always cautious.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote: »
    ah, i always worry about this too and can never work out how long things will last for in the fridge!

my friend made curry and left it out on the surface in a pan all night and ate it the next day. obviously she was fine but i'm always cautious.
    I would do that :D.

Then again, I don't pay too much attention to use-by dates. My milk is about a week out atm but still tastes fine.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I would do that :D.

Then again, I don't pay too much attention to use-by dates. My milk is about a week out atm but still tastes fine.

The boyfriend just threw away the milk I was using, 10 days past its date... wasn't funny smelling or colored and I'm fine :p

I'm always a bit amazed at the caution people take with leftovers on this website, like if you don't eat food immediatly you'll die! If it weren't for leftovers I'd be starving. I eat them every day for lunch and sometimes dinner (I don't know how to cook for under 10 people :p)... no fuzz, ok :thumb:
  • Options
    i have a fear of being sick so can be overly cautious at times.
  • Options
    yeah itll be fine

probably taste even better than the first night

Spot on. Lasagne left for a day or so is always better than done straight.
  • Options
    Argh. Surely it doesn't need a thread for this. If it smells ok and doesn't have mould growing on it then it's probably going to be ok to eat.
  • Options
    im always amazed by how cautious people are too.
    If it had been a week, then i probably wouldnt feed something to the kids, but id eat it myself, unless it was rice or chicken, in which case id try and eat it within 2 or 3 days
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Argh. Surely it doesn't need a thread for this. If it smells ok and doesn't have mould growing on it then it's probably going to be ok to eat.

dont be a stress ball
    i have a fear of being sick so can be overly cautious at times.
    and i googled it with little results. one person on wiki answer said two days MAX so it made me unsure.
  • Options
    I rem there was an article about this in the papers awhile back... they tested loads of stuff to check if 'use by' dates were actually correct, i'll try and dig it up :)
  • Options
    Next time you're unsure Rach, make me try it first. As long as it smells alright I'll eat it :D.
  • Options
    My housemate is really fussy over how long things have been opened and wastes loads of food. He throws out about 3x more than he actually eats. I find it annoying.
  • Options
    There was that programme a while ago where a man ate lots of things past their sell by date and was fine! I think...

Guess it just depends what kind of person you are. In my head I know it should be fine, but when it comes to it I am cautious *shrugs*. That's just the way I am! For instance, on the milk carton it says use within 3 days, so I do even though most people take no notice of that, or even the date, they use it until it goes off. I just couldn't do that! I know it's silly but....
  • Options
    with milk, i smell it, with uncooked chicken, i smell it (goes eggy when off lol) most over stuff, i give 5-7 days to eat.

found this, not what i was looking for, but anyway.. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1024879/The-best-challenge---One-man-boldly-goes-use-dates-food.html