Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being alone? probably better off.

Just been wondering these past few days, I've been single about a year or so now..and I was thinking to myself is it beneficial to be alone? I mean you dont get hurt when your alone, i've been alright more or less

Anyone else feel like this? I don't wanna be alone forever but it seems less hassle and you dont get hurt even though there are upsides to a relationship.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah understand that completely
  • Options
    I mean, It's easier for everyone. Relationships take so much effort.
  • Options
    I really hate being alone, I have a boyfriend and am so happy with him but when I've broken up with other guys it just feels so lonely and well......boring tbh x
  • Options
    Well, you are better off just being at your own place all the time. Little danger of infections, physical or psychical injury, nothing to worry, no intersocial mishaps.

But it is kinda boring, isn't it?
  • Options
    Ive been single a while, I do often from time to time imagine that I miss the closeness and hugs, not actually missing them, but thinking about them more than I should be.
  • Options
    Yeah it is nice not having your happiness in someone elses hands so to speak. Ive been single 2 years not counting the fling I just had, and it is hard especially when most of my friends are loved up. I miss having someone to be close to and share things with. But what can you do, can't force these things.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Yeah it is nice not having your happiness in someone elses hands so to speak. Ive been single 2 years not counting the fling I just had, and it is hard especially when most of my friends are loved up. I miss having someone to be close to and share things with. But what can you do, can't force these things.

Yeah same, most of my friends have a significant other.
  • Options
    :yes: I have a fear of getting hurt through a relationship as I have been so hurt by men before.

On reflection, my method of dealing with the loneliness seems to be to pick guys who though lovely, are generally less smart, emotionally unavailable or just tossers (and not lovely! these ones are charmers) and therefore ultimately doomed to fail in a relationship, without it being my fault. I get the hugs an the company for a short period of time, but no so long that I make myself vulnerable, or anyone gets hurt. A bit fucked up I guess, but hey ho.
  • Options
    I dislike being alone a lot. I like the feeling of being close to someone i love. Although, getting used to being alone is hard :/
  • Options
    ahhh a lot of people in the same situation, at least you are not alone in that aspect, moonlift :)
  • Options
    There's definitely nothing wrong with being alone - no compromises, no disagreements, just you and what you want to do.

You never know the right personal might be around the corner and you'll be glad you didn't get too hasty and jump in too early!
  • Options
    I did a lot more for myself when I was single. I had all the time in the world to bike, go to the gym, chill with my horse, meet friends, etc. Even working overtime was kinda nice as I had no other commitments. Sometimes I miss all that.

I'm in a relationship now and it's nice but sometimes I hate how lazy I've become. ;) Of course it can also be frustrating to deal with another person and their feelings and I've gotten hurt more often than when I was single.

However at present I wouldn't want to go back. I like this life and am working on the laziness. ;)

I'd say that it's far better being single than making do with somebody who's not that attractive or nice. Stable people are good. :thumb:
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of conflating 'single' and 'alone'. If you view being single as being alone then I suspect it's not necessarily being single that you've got beef with. I'm single, but I wouldn't ever think to class myself as alone. Jesus I sound like some sort of self-help bell-piece; I'm going to bow out before I start talking about staring at clenched fists...
  • Options
    CCH - don't you ever miss all those relationshippy things? However many friends you have, you can't have that unless you have a significant other.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    CCH - don't you ever miss all those relationshippy things? However many friends you have, you can't have that unless you have a significant other.

Sure, there's plenty about the physical and emotional intimacy that amazing. But there's the flip side of all the benefits of being single too - I'm sure I'd miss things that the single life offers were I to be in a relationship. Still, I'm not arguing against relationships (God knows Madam Palm and I have lost the spark), just that to equate 'single' and 'alone' doesn't seem right to me.
  • Options
    Sure, there's plenty about the physical and emotional intimacy that amazing. But there's the flip side of all the benefits of being single too - I'm sure I'd miss things that the single life offers were I to be in a relationship. Still, I'm not arguing against relationships (God knows Madam Palm and I have lost the spark), just that to equate 'single' and 'alone' doesn't seem right to me.

No, singe certainly isn't alone. I think some people just naturally lean one way or the other, I have enjoyed my time being single in that I've sown my wild oats, learnt a bit more about myself and developed at an individual - I wouldn't have given that up for anything, and I'm not saying I wont want that again. But at the end of the day I'd rather have someone to cuddle me when I go up to bed than be able to sleep with whoever I want.
  • Options
    Even in a relationship, I don't really want someone to cuddle as I go to bed. I'm all for seperate beds, even seperate bedrooms :D
  • Options

you're awesome :D
  • Options
    Yeah, it's all hassle-free and easier, you can do what you want when you want and all that, so you should be happier, right?

Not really. I dunno, I miss all the emotianal intimacy, and being close to someone you adore. I miss sharing the kind of deep things you wouldn't even share with your best mate. I miss coming home from work to see the kind of nice, welcoming smile you don't find anywhere else. I even miss the agonising on what to arrange for an anniversary, what to get them, the rollercoaster emotions.... that kind of thing. I guess I'm just one of those people who needs an element of chaos in their lives. Single life isn't necesarilly lonely, it's just too safe for me, a bit dull, a bit too easy. if single life was a career, I'd retrain and do something else. But obviosuly it isn't quite that simple, eh?

Strange, but there ya go.
  • Options
    Steve87 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's all hassle-free and easier, you can do what you want when you want and all that, so you should be happier, right?

Not really. I dunno, I miss all the emotianal intimacy, and being close to someone you adore. I miss sharing the kind of deep things you wouldn't even share with your best mate. I miss coming home from work to see the kind of nice, welcoming smile you don't find anywhere else. I even miss the agonising on what to arrange for an anniversary, what to get them, the rollercoaster emotions.... that kind of thing. I guess I'm just one of those people who needs an element of chaos in their lives. Single life isn't necesarilly lonely, it's just too safe for me, a bit dull, a bit too easy. if single life was a career, I'd retrain and do something else. But obviosuly it isn't quite that simple, eh?

Strange, but there ya go.

That!
    Steve, I love you!
  • Options
    Well...

I have been in a few relationships and they have all ended badly and have all been wondeful and stressul at the same time. I am alone at the moment but have been 'seeing' a friend of mine (mostly for sex and to have someone close) and have found that this is working really well for me. No paranoid relationship stuff and no awful stress. I still have companionship and both of us would be pleased if the other found someone else. But I know this doest work for everyone. I just know I dont want to be in a relationship for a long while =D

It can be fullfilling to be alone, so your life and personality doesnt bleed into someone elses. I am the happiest I have been in years ^^
  • Options
    you're awesome :D

:blush:

And I suspect you were tipsy! :P
  • Options
    :blush:

And I suspect you were tipsy! :P

nope just very affectionate to strangers on internets :p but you do make great posts! continueee
  • Options
    Am I a stranger? Do I get some affection? ;)
  • Options
    Am I a stranger? Do I get some affection? ;)

always my eye sex man! ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :nervous: :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Yay! *Removes sunglasses and opens arms*

:)

Back on-topic... there is a big difference between being single, and being alone. Many people feel alone despite being in a relationship. Many people don't feel alone despite being single.

There's little good in having a relationship just for the sake of it. Physical and emotional intimacy tend to be something of a flop if you don't find the other person to be special. Generally nice and comforting at the time, but often more hassle than it's really worth.

It's often those relationships that take the most effort - because your heart just isn't in it. It makes for a lot of work for something you're not desperately longing for.