Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

General Election 2010; a call to arms

Tomorrow is the UK General Election, in case you hadn't heard. Given the state of the country and the state of the world as a whole, it could turn out to be the most important election in a generation.

I'm not saying who you should vote for, or even try to initiate a debate about the various parties' policies (those who know me and my posting style will probably know how I shall vote tomorrow). I merely implore you just to vote. Don't vote for personalities, and don't vote just because someone looked good on a couple of TV debates. Nor should you vote tactically to ensure that someone is ousted or doesn't get in. Vote for policies, the needs of your constituency and the needs of the UK. Vote for what you believe in.

That is all, happy voting.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Even if you turn up and vote for the joke candidate running in your constituency. That makes FAR more of a point than not voting, and you help them get their deposit back.
  • Options
    I definitely agree that everyone should go to the polling station.

However, if you do not wish to vote for any of the parties and you want to spoil your ballot paper instead that also makes a statement. In terms of the count itself each of the spoiled ballot papers has to be 'adjudicated', which basically means that the person in charge of the election (the returning officer), each of the candidates and each of the candidates' agents stand and look at each of the questionable papers and usually argue over whether or not it's a vote for a certain party. This means that if you write 'not voting because of expenses scandal' or something equally concise in block capitals across the ballot paper, all the candidates will see this.

I wish you all all the best when deciding who to vote for.
  • Options
    T Nor should you vote tactically to ensure that someone is ousted or doesn't get in. Vote for policies,

why not? Voting tactically can be a very good move in some areas.
  • Options
  • Options
    Theres nothing tactical about voting for someone you dont really want to get into power.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Theres nothing tactical about voting for someone you dont really want to get into power.

I disagree.

Depends on why you are casting your vote. If you want a particular party in Govt and they cannot win in your constituency then you may choose to vote against their biggest challenger. In a way that is a vote for your chosen party.

Take my old one. Tory vote was only 4,000 above Lib Dem with Labour a very poor third. It's how it has been for decades and it will not change. So, if you live there, and want a Labour Govt, then vote Lib Dem and stop a Tory MP.

Having said all that, I vote with my conscience. I am that principled.
  • Options
    Surely though an election result in a particular constituency would (in a close seat) lead to skewed results, so the next time people tactically vote, they are tactically voting on an old set of results which may bear no resemblance to how people are going to vote this time, of which the results were not genuine, but were "tactical"

If I hear one more person say that this will be the election of a generation, I will scream.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    I disagree.

Having said all that, I vote with my conscience. I am that principled.

I thought you didn't vote?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Surely though an election result in a particular constituency would (in a close seat) lead to skewed results, so the next time people tactically vote, they are tactically voting on an old set of results which may bear no resemblance to how people are going to vote this time, of which the results were not genuine, but were "tactical"

If I hear one more person say that this will be the election of a generation, I will scream.

It'll be the election of the generation ;)
  • Options
    Even if you turn up and vote for the joke candidate running in your constituency.

Unfortunately the joke candidate running in my constituency is from the BNP, and they actually get a reasonable share of the vote round here :crazyeyes

I did my bit already. Postal vote, baby :cool:
  • Options
    doing it today. VERY close where i live between tory and labour.
  • Options
    I'm going to vote for the hottest one that I have most chance of hooking up with. Sexy people ftw!
  • Options
    i like gordon and his wobbly jowls so im voting for him :heart:
  • Options
    I might just vote for who my parents vote for though.
  • Options
    my grandpa is a tory but he's a nice old tory.
  • Options
    As much as I'd like to see the one-eyed cunt and his party of cunts being voted into oblivion today, I fear it's not going to happen. Though I must concede I'm rather liking The Sun's front page today.

As for going out to vote, I reiterate what I say whenever asked about it. Give me something worth voting for, and I'll gladly vote for it. Til then, I ain't interested.
  • Options
    Future of your country not worth voting for then?
  • Options
    Future of your country not worth voting for then?
    I want to see a smaller state, lower taxes, massive cuts in public spending, equally massive cuts in the welfare system, a cut in the number of MPs in Parliament, to leave the European Union. Which party is promising all of that?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, none. And not one even comes close to that list.
  • Options
    So logic would suggest you pick the one most likely to give you what you see as the most important on the list.
  • Options
    So logic would suggest you pick the one most likely to give you what you see as the most important on the list.
    Which is precisely the problem. The chance of ANY of them doing what I want to see is very remote.

Unless, of course, they have been lying all this time and concealing their true intentions. And politicians never lie, do they?
  • Options
    Start your own then. All I'm hearing is problems and not solutions.

Anyone read that horrific guffstorm that Johann Hari served up in the Indy yesterday?
  • Options
    voted for the first time ever.

not as exciting as i thought pah.
  • Options
    I thought you didn't vote?

I always visit the polling booth, sometimes I spoil my ballot, but I always make my voice heard somehow.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I want to see a smaller state, lower taxes, massive cuts in public spending, equally massive cuts in the welfare system, a cut in the number of MPs in Parliament, to leave the European Union. Which party is promising all of that?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, none. And not one even comes close to that list.

Most of that is covered by the Tories. If you are looking for the party that will do everything you want and not do something you don't want then you will never, ever, find the party you are looking for.

Sometimes you have to compromise on some issues.

Thankfully, no party is quite as crazy as you are :p
  • Options
    I thought UKIP sounded most like stargalaxy's opinion. Independent UK, smaller government, less nanny state, less quangos, etc. etc.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I thought UKIP sounded most like stargalaxy's opinion. Independent UK, smaller government, less nanny state, less quangos, etc. etc.

Unless you're a muslim woman, of course. ;)
  • Options
    I voted UKIP.
  • Options
    I couldn't vote because I am not on the electoral roll - we moved recently and despite filling in everything and sending off evreything we were meant to we are not on the roll :( Bah. I was definitely going to vote as well and now I can't, I'm not happy.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    I always visit the polling booth, sometimes I spoil my ballot, but I always make my voice heard somehow.

:D im interested. you didnt do a little poop on it did you?