Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

after some advice about when to go to drs.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi All,

I was in Egypt last week and whilst I was there my OH was ill with a bad stomach no vomiting thou about 2 days in and his lasted about 24 hours. I began to feel ill around day 5 and I was vomiting after eating and had loose stools, since being home (last thurs) I have stopped being sick but still feel it if i eat or drink anything and still have a really bad stomach where I have to keep rushing off to the loo.

I have also now got a headache and my bones in my legs and hips and arms are really aching and I have got the worse stomach cramps ever! I have spoken to the OH who went straight away to work who said he still has a bad stomach now and again but nothing like mine.

I have tried taking diaocalm but it has had no effect. Can anyone suggest anything to shift it as I am supposed to be going back to work tomoz and one part of my job is street based youth work, where there is not necacerrily toilets in the imediate area or do you think that it is time to see the dr as I really dont want to waste their time if I can get something else.

Thanks

AFA

Comments

• Options
    I would see the doctor, I cant think of anything over the counter that would be able to clear that up for you.

Plus if you caught it abroad, then best to know what it is
  • Options
    forgot to say that i got bitten alot by mosquitos like 40 times on my legs alone, could this have anything to do with it?
  • Options
    I'd go to the doctors if I was you. Whilst it sounds like it appeared too quickly to be malaria, the symptoms are similar, so I'd definitely go get it checked out. Did you have anti-malarial tablets?
  • Options
    no I wasnt told I needed them, so I didnt take them. I had jabs before I went but I dont think malaria was one of them
  • Options
    3 days of sickness, vom and runs, I'd make an app and go to Drs now.
  • Options
    Or, if you're worried about wether you'd be wasting your doctor's time, phone NHS Direct 0845 46 47
  • Options
    Hi a forgotten angel,

The answer to your original thread title, as has already been said, is - as soon as possible.

You have also been given the NHS direct number, which you can call anytime. If you are still feeling poorly, then it could be any number of things. If the sanitation was poor, you could have picked something up from the water. Your GP will probably want to take a stool sample, so be prepared for that.

Take care - :D
  • Options
    Just thought that I would give u an update, went to Drs on Thursday and he said it was food poisoining that I picked up whilst I was away and gave me some different tablets, took them and I'm ok again now apart from lack of appetite, was starving after not eating properly for 10 days but now a few mouthfuls and im full :)
  • Options
    Glad you're feeling better.