Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Election debates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
….Can't quite believe this hasnt been discussed anywhere yet?!

Haven't posted in an age but thought i'd have a look to see what you lot thought of it and was shocked when I couldn't find anything!

(Do correct me if i've overlooked it; and look at the post time. ;) )

Anyway - what did you think?!

Who came out on top? Do you think debates of this kind are good for UK politics?

Comments

• Options
    As far as performances go i would say
    1 - Clegg
    2 - Brown
    3 - Cameron

When it comes to what they were actually saying its hard to say who did the best as it really depends on what you personally agree and disagree with and also what you are looking for in the next goverment.
    Overall i think it was a waste of time, i don't think it will make more people aware of politics as if you had no intreset in politics before i doubt you would have watched it anyway, especailly as the tv line up on other channels was fantastic at the time.

It can't be good if we are going to start chosing our leaders through popularity competitions !!
  • Options
    As far as performances go, I would say
    1 - Clegg by far
    2 - Cameron
    3 - Brown
  • Options
    Hmmm for me deffo

1- Clegg
    2 - Brown
    3 - Cameron

Cameron to me just seems a slimey twat. but then brown did seem to be licking Clegg's arse quite a bit.

I am liking Clegg at the moment. he seems very different from the others, a breath of fresh air you could say.

I was wary bout his views on Trident but I have to agree, now is not the time to upgrade nuclear missiles, especially while we're in debt etc.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Cameron to me just seems a slimey twat.

:thumb: Agree
  • Options
    1 Clegg
    2 Brown
    3 Cameron

I don't think it was a waste of time... I think it may help those who are unsure whether to vote (because they don't know who to vote for) decide. And also well I'm glad that the lib dems are getting a fair chance.
  • Options
    As much as I am swaying for lib dems this year, and will vote for them I believe. I don't believe they have much chance. As has been said in previous threads they'd need to steel a large part of the safe seats. a hard job.
  • Options
    Gordon "I agree with Nick" Brown was absolutely pathetic. He came across like a parrot, only not so likeable. He spent half the time trotting out tractor stats which make no sense, the same old phrases he's been using for years - and then spent some time speaking in a way which would have you forgiven for thinking he's only been Prime Mentalist for about a week.

Call Me Dave was generally useless. He could barely hold his own in that debate. He admitted to being nervous beforehand - fair enough, I'd be nervous too in the circumstances - and I suspect he allowed them to get the better of him. And why was he so hesitant to attack Brown directly?

I never thought I'd say this about Nick "no more than 30 women" Cleggover did rather well last night. Although he's most probably as disturbed as the rest of us at seeing Brown blatantly and repeatedly trying to give him a blow-job on national television. Methinks Labour are worried sick about the prospect of a hung parliament...

EDIT: Agree entirely with Obo The Clown's view on this one. It's like being on the Titanic...
  • Options
    Clegg was the best performer by some considerable margin. He has fresh policies and clearly set himself apart from Labour. Cameron made a few boo-boos with policies like a UK "Border police" and more helicopters, which Brown pointed out have already been delivered by the current government.
    Brown and Cameron kept coming back to the issue of the National Insurance rise. Brown, despite being Prime Minister for some time, is still in chancellor mode and even in his introductory speech he concentrated on the economy.
    It was interesting to see the two sides of the National insurance debate. The one criticism I have of Clegg is that he didn't say where he stood on the issue.
    Another thing is that when Clegg brought up the issue of ID cards, Cameron failed to mention his stance on them.
    It will be interesting to see if the debate makes people go out and vote Lib Dem. I would certainly rather have them in power than Labour.
  • Options
    The consensus on my facebook last night was loads of people "... became a fan of the Liberal Democrats."

I think that really sums it up. David Cameron wasn't great, he did what he needed to do though, made the strong point on immigration - kept blue voters blue. I think if anything though, he actually alienated marginal voters, and I felt very uncomfortable when he kept referring to his son :/. I feel like that's something intimate and 'sacred' enough that you shouldn't really be throwing it about in a political debate. Overall negative impact.

Gordon Brown fell down a bit - he wasn't bad, he just wasn't good. This was his time to shine and really convince people why they should vote labour and not conservative. I don't think he did that. Overall neutral.

Nick Clegg, however, did fantastically. Nobody was pretending the Lib Dems wouldn't do well out of this - it's the first chance for them to be seen on an equal footing to the tories and labour for about 65 years :p. When people are confronted with him standing there as an equal - they're going to consider voting for him for once. Overall positive.

So that's how I rank them:

1. Nick Clegg, probably got quite a few undecided votes and maybe even a few tory/labour
    2. Gordon Brown, certainly didn't do the job he needed to to thrust labour up to number 1 (or near enough), but didn't make any mistakes to lose himself votes
    3. David Cameron, came off right to the tories who would already vote for him, but came off very slimy and probably lost a few undecided voters
  • Options
    Well checking out YouGov, it seems to agree with my assessment:

both labour and conservatives lost out, but conservatives lost out more. Lib Dems were massive winners. Whether this sentiment turns into voting intention remains to be seen!
  • Options
    Well its not a suprise they talked about the economy it was one of the subjects that fell within the topic of debate.

I would say
    1. Clegg
    2. Brown and Cameron
  • Options
    As much as I am swaying for lib dems this year, and will vote for them I believe. I don't believe they have much chance. As has been said in previous threads they'd need to steel a large part of the safe seats. a hard job.

When I said I was glad that lib dems were getting a fair chance... I didn't mean in terms of seats. I mean that... usually its just constant labour vs tory, and it was good to have lib dems up there with them for once, showing that there is another option.

Yeah, I think its quite unlikely that they'll manage to steal a large number of seats... this time. But I think they're becoming more and more of a contender.
  • Options
    I thought the debate was good and it really helped me gain a greater understanding of each parties policies. Clegg definately came out on top in my opinion, not impressed with Brown or Cameron tbh although it was funny when Brown brought up about the posters and it was clear that Cameron felt uncomfortable with that and didn't wish to attack Brown. In his closing speech Clegg referred by name to the individuals that had asked questions and that will have earnt him points too, he is definately a good talker!
  • Options
    I was amused when people thought Brown had got a laugh, but it turns out it was only when the moderator shouted for Mr Cameron to butt in.
  • Options
    I didn't bother watching, I thought it would be boring.
  • Options
    Just to follow up on hellfire etc., there is a statistically insignificant chance of lib dems getting in, based on the number of decided voters in safe seats already.

However, getting them up there in terms of popular vote, means that if there is a coalition (and then the AV / PR changes possibly), means they will be a credible candidate for government if they get a good showing at the next general election.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Just to follow up on hellfire etc., there is a statistically insignificant chance of lib dems getting in, based on the number of decided voters in safe seats already.

However, getting them up there in terms of popular vote, means that if there is a coalition (and then the AV / PR changes possibly), means they will be a credible candidate for government if they get a good showing at the next general election.

The thing is, it might take years but the lib dems seem to be getting more seats, They do seem to be growing since 87 I believe. It may take several more elections but I think lib dems could do it. This election. no way but I think it could be a hung parliament. hence why Brown wants to blow clegg off.
  • Options
    The Lib Dems are a relatively young party still. So things are going to take time.

If these debates raise the parties profile, and they get a good number of votes, and perform well with minimal scandal through this next parliament. I think they could have a bloody amazing show for the next election after this one. Possibly propped up by good council elections in the coming years.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    The Lib Dems are a relatively young party still. So things are going to take time.

If these debates raise the parties profile, and they get a good number of votes, and perform well with minimal scandal through this next parliament. I think they could have a bloody amazing show for the next election after this one. Possibly propped up by good council elections in the coming years.

Deffinately, I mean they over doubled their seats in the 97 General election. from 20 in 1992 to 46 in 1997 and 62 seats back in 2005.

I think with the extra publicity surrounding them and all the extra support I think they'll steal a lot more of the marginal seats, not mass amounts but maybe 20-40 seats if they do well.

As much as I'd like them to win. I do not think they will, It saddens me that people stick to a particular party, even if they don't believe them, someone said to me the other day "I'll vote labour, I always vote labour" when I asked why, do you believe in them he said "na our local mp and brown is a twat" he just does it out of pure habbit.
  • Options
    I was asleep and woke up to them talking about education. So I saw that much. I generally agree with the consensus that Nick Clegg was the strongest performer, which is what generally comes from a position of intellectual honesty, rather than attempts to cover things up and divert people's attention. He wasn't necessarily the better debater, just had the easier argument. Although he had the easier argument because he had the more honest policies, which is the other merit of the party.

But then of the three main parties, I was already massively more likely to vote Lib Dem than any other, so I would say that.
  • Options
    but I think it could be a hung parliament. hence why Brown wants to blow clegg off.

I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this, that and it was in Browns interest to make Clegg look significantly better than Cameron at every opportunity because in reality the Conservatives are the only serious contender to Labour for winning the election, so if Brown can't win the votes for his own party out right then its far better from his point of view that any ditherers vote Lib Dem than Tory.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »

Well, they're technically older than labour :p but 'reformed' fairly recently as the liberal democrats. But it used to be always conservatives vs liberals, then labour got in as second party and since then they've not had a look in.

Also, in case anyone was wondering:
    The Liberal Democrats enjoyed a surge in support at the expense of Labour, according to a poll after the first leaders' debate.

The ITV/ComRes poll extrapolated across Britain as a whole put the Liberal Democrats at 24%, up 3% compared to two days ago.

Labour was on 28%, down 1%, and the Conservatives were on 35%, the same as in the last poll.

Of a sample 4,000 viewers who watched last night's debate the difference was more stark, with the Lib Dems on 35%, up 14% on prevision voting intentions, Labour on 24% and the Conservatives on 36%.

The Liberal Democrats have hailed their leader's performance as a potential "game-changer" with one survey showing 61% of viewers thought he came out on top over Gordon Brown and David Cameron.

The Tory leader acknowledged in a BBC phone-in that Mr Clegg had had a "good debate" while his party went on the offensive against "eccentric" Liberal Democrat policies.

Gordon Brown has said that the first of the televised leaders' debates had "energised" the General Election campaign and would increase the public's focus on the "big issues".

The Prime Minister said he "enjoyed" the head-to-head with David Cameron and Nick Clegg but declined to say how he had fared.

An audience of 9.9 million viewers watched the debate, figures showed.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=153046182
  • Options
    I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this, that and it was in Browns interest to make Clegg look significantly better than Cameron at every opportunity because in reality the Conservatives are the only serious contender to Labour for winning the election, so if Brown can't win the votes for his own party out right then its far better from his point of view that any ditherers vote Lib Dem than Tory.
    This is Gordon Brown we're talking about here. What anyone else thinks is of no importance to him - Brown is, and has always been, a man only interested in saving his own bacon. There is considerable chatter doing the rounds that LibDems would agree to join a coalition with Labour (in the event of a hung parliament) - but that one of the conditions would be Brown's immediate resignation.

He doesn't fancy losing the job which he plotted for 10 years to get. Hence why he's turning into a shameless political whore, saying anything in order to get people on his side.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    This is Gordon Brown we're talking about here. What anyone else thinks is of no importance to him - Brown is, and has always been, a man only interested in saving his own bacon. There is considerable chatter doing the rounds that LibDems would agree to join a coalition with Labour (in the event of a hung parliament) - but that one of the conditions would be Brown's immediate resignation.

He doesn't fancy losing the job which he plotted for 10 years to get. Hence why he's turning into a shameless political whore, saying anything in order to get people on his side.

I disagree really SG.

I think he is not great with the public but I disagree with this cynical 'he is plotting to remain PM no matter what'.

The point of it is, are Labour going to get a majority? Nope. Can they still retain power? Yes. How? By preventing conservatives getting a majority, as they have more seats in parliament that are closely aligned with them. Cons have UKIP and BNP behind them and lets face it, they're not going to pull them into government even if they had a significant number of seats.

It's come down to a two horse race, which is conservative majority, or libdeb-labour coalition.

Pretty much the main precondition of any coalition from the libdems would be commitment to electoral reform, as this invariably will benefit them in future elections.

Gordon Brown is just redundant, he does his job of running the government competently but as a statesman and a personality he's not great. But then, if you take any large organisation - do you really need the most popular and likeable guy at the top? Of course not.

Aside from that, what I am relishing is that the election is getting exciting and more than ever I feel that my vote does count, because it's getting close people could really vote differently from the usual even in 'safe' seats.
  • Options
    So that debate in summary form, according to MoK

Gordon Brown agreed with Nick (or thought Nick would agree with him) so much that clearly he's voting LibDem this year.

David Cameron had his prepared PR speeches at the start and finished well prepared and rehearsed. Sadly you also have to answer questions Dave. Fail.

Nick Clegg finally got heard, people might now actually know who he is and what he looks like. I suspect that the big swing of support he got was because of that, rather than anything he actually said and let's face it, he still won't be PM.

It will be interesting to see the impact this has on the polls over the weekend, but Cameron has loads of ground to make up in the next two debates.
  • Options
  • Options

Lord help us !!
  • Options

Which would leave Labour as the main party but 60 seats short of a majority...
  • Options

My favourite blog by far - an excellent resource for us political anoraks :)

Glad to see I'm not the only person who reads it