Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How much power does your vote really have?

An interesting and thought provoking website on the UK voting system, and how 'worthy' a person's vote is in their constituency:

http://www.voterpower.org.uk/

In my constituency (Streatham), it seems individual votes are worth far less than their face value.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "the equivalent of 0.050 votes." for me, great.
  • Options
    Ooooh! I have nearly twice the power as you....

Constituency marginality

Very safe
  • Options
    mine said ultra safe, similarly, great.
  • Options
    Ultrasafe - 0.056

1992 Con
    1997 Con
    2001 Con
    2005 Con

ergh
  • Options
    0.030 whatever that means
  • Options
    0.046 ultra safe tory seat
  • Options
    0.445 for Norwich South.

Hopefully we can paint the south of the city green :)

Edit: Just checked out Norwich North and it says it's a very safe Labour seat. Obviously didn't take into account that the Conservatives won the by-election last year...
  • Options
    Apparently both of mine (Canterbury and Braintree) are ~0.1, safe Tory seats.

Huzzah...
  • Options
    0.107 safe Labour seat.
  • Options
    0.041 ultrasafe lib dem seat... I can live with that
  • Options

Although I think in reality it's more than that. It's been a Labour seat since 1992, but our long-serving MP is stepping down, and it was already identified as a key battleground for the two big parties before that happened, because the last local elections put the Tories in power.

Unfortunately for me, none of this matters, because I have no intention of voting for either of the only two that have a chance of winning.
  • Options
    I think i'm registered in two constituencies, so I get to choose whether to add my vote in a safely Tory seat (0.16 I think ) or a margin lib dem seat (0.6). So I think i'll vote in the marginal!
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Apparently both of mine (Canterbury and Braintree) are ~0.1, safe Tory seats.

Huzzah...

Canterbury has been Tory since the 1860s. Yet I still get out of bed to vote.

Who's the fool here?
  • Options
    Voters in Finchley & Golders Green have 3.76x more voting power</SPAN> than the UK average.

I am still not voting. :thumb:
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Canterbury has been Tory since the 1860s. Yet I still get out of bed to vote.

Who's the fool here?
    Never said I wasn't going to vote, did I ;)?

Speaking of which, I should actually register before it's too late...
  • Options
    0.343 for me, I've got 1.36x more voting power than the average.
  • Options
    1 vote is worth one vote. Its still the same one vote, so I dont think its value can change depending on how all the other little votes are used.
  • Options
    I dont think the way people vote in this country is right in the first place.

If you have 100 people and 30 vote for Labour , 30 vote for Conservative and 40 vote for Lib Dems then the Lib Dems would be in power even though 60% of the people did not want them, how can that be fair?

By the way vote Labour :thumb:
  • Options
    Voter power in Exeter

• Options
    Louisek wrote: »

If you have 100 people and 30 vote for Labour , 30 vote for Conservative and 40 vote for Lib Dems then the Lib Dems would be in power even though 60% of the people did not want them, how can that be fair?

They are the single party with the most votes.
  • Options

They might be 'in power' but they would be effectively 'powerless'. They would have to win at least 11% of the oppositions vote when passing bills which will make them toothless. They have to get at least 51% to be able to push through any new laws so it would be a hung parliament with the Lib Dems trying to form a coalition.

But in essence you are right. If the Lib Dems won by 51%, even the remaining 49% is not an insignificant number of people.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Never said I wasn't going to vote, did I ;)?

Speaking of which, I should actually register before it's too late...

I meant that I was the fool. Fighting against the odds, in a consituency where more than 55% vote against the candidate that sits on our behalf.

150 years of Tory MP...
  • Options
    0.059 ultra safe, wow... interesting.
  • Options
    Voters in Liverpool Wavertree have 1.51x more voting power than the UK average. - 0.382 - Fairly safe
  • Options
    0.042 for Chelsea & Fulham, ultra safe Tory seat.

Absolutely fine by me :)

The seat at the home of Ma and Pa T is slightly less safe, what with the incumbent being Mark Oaten...
  • Options
    0.057 ultra safe which is a shame

Myabe i should stand next time :crazyeyes
  • Options

I don't know how true it is and I don't have any links to back it up, but I was told recently most general elections in this country really are decided by no more than 10-20 thousand voters: namely those part of certain marginal constituencies.

A party could have hundreds of thousands (if not a million or two) more votes than another and still lose, if all those extra votes were cast in the 'wrong' constituencies.

The advantage of the British system is that it all but eliminates the prospect of having a fragmented parliament a la Germany or Italy... but the downside is that of all the democratic systems, it is one of the least democratic ones. You have to be sorry for the Lib Dems in particular.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The advantage of the British system is that it all but eliminates the prospect of having a fragmented parliament a la Germany or Italy... but the downside is that of all the democratic systems, it is one of the least democratic ones. You have to be sorry for the Lib Dems in particular.

I'm not sure that's true (or at least their is a flipside). Under PR you get Government's nobody voted for and it gives disproportionate power to certain parties who can act as kingmakers. You might for example vote Labour because you believe that they're the only ones who are dealing with terrorist threats with ID cards and 42 day detention, but as part of a deal with the Lib Dems this is dropped and your vote has been used to put a political coalition you don't agree with.

Both FTP and PR have advantages and disadvantages, but PR isn't more democratic.
  • Options
    It's a general election ...are we voting for a general?
    This democracy mlarky has become a bit of a joke.
    I want a hung parliament.
    That way we have weak government ...a government that can't rush off to war ...one that can't make up ever more fucking rules so easily ...can't do this can't do that.
    I don't vote for people to legislate against my fucking lifestyle ...my private life.
    Once you vote them in ...they take that as a mandate to ride rough shod over you.
    Once they are in ...they do all manner of shit in your name cos ...you asked them to represent you ...represent your point of view ...your ideals.
    Bollox.
  • Options
    I know, people argue against PR because it creates a "weak government" as if that's a bad thing. A government that has to work hard to convince others of the right course of action. A government that actually has to engage with people of a different opinion in a meaningful way more than once every 5 years. Yeah, sounds shit that. :rolleyes: