Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Obama reverses Bush's nuclear policies.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now I would say he is closer to deserving the Nobel Peace Prize. I was hoping this day would come, now here's hoping the day will come when all nuclear weapons are removed worldwide.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/06/barack-obama-nuclear-weapons-review

Comments

• Options
    It's worth pointing out though that one of the only ways Europe and the USA would have been able to halt an attack by the Soviets would have been the use of tactical nukes.

It's all well and good saying that they rule out their use against attacks by conventional forces, but I'd suggest that any nation that has an attack made against it that they cannot repel would resort to using nuclear weapons. I know if the UK were invaded and we were in danger of being defeated I'd be pushing the button myself.
  • Options
    I know but its still a step closer. :)
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out though that one of the only ways Europe and the USA would have been able to halt an attack by the Soviets would have been the use of tactical nukes.

It's all well and good saying that they rule out their use against attacks by conventional forces, but I'd suggest that any nation that has an attack made against it that they cannot repel would resort to using nuclear weapons. I know if the UK were invaded and we were in danger of being defeated I'd be pushing the button myself.
    How about wars in foreign lands you were about to lose?

Apparently when it became clear the Vietnam War was unwinnable, there were people in Washington lobbying for the use of nukes. And I'm sure I read The Chimp had considered using tactical low yield nukes in such places as Afghanistan to 'clear' Al Qaida strongholds. It does not bear thinking about.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    How about wars in foreign lands you were about to lose?

Apparently when it became clear the Vietnam War was unwinnable, there were people in Washington lobbying for the use of nukes. And I'm sure I read The Chimp had considered using tactical low yield nukes in such places as Afghanistan to 'clear' Al Qaida strongholds. It does not bear thinking about.

No, that is taking the piss a bit.

I'm an advocate of using them if you're own back yard is being invaded, a weapon of self-defence/last resort is how they should remain.

Also, we need to consider the possibility that if we get rid of all our nukes the Earth is defenceless against alien attack ;)