Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dr Who (Notice the spelling!)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    It'd certainly help the ratings if in every episode she decided to wear a different kissogram outfit

Ep 1 - Kissogram
    Ep 2 - Nightie
    Ep 3 - ?

On a different subject, do you think that the "what did you see" approach is the theme for the series (alongside the crack)?
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »

She has good legs, but her face looks like a younger version of Catherine Tate :yuck:
  • Options
    On a different subject, do you think that the "what did you see" approach is the theme for the series (alongside the crack)?

Given the blatant steals/homages to Star Wars ('Help us Doctor, you are our only hope', the trash compactor scene and being inside the belly of a big beast) I'm pretty sure the theme of the series will see the Doctor facing off against Darth Vader in a climatic battle of sonic screwdrivers vs lightsaber
  • Options
    Given the blatant steals/homages to Star Wars ('Help us Doctor, you are our only hope', the trash compactor scene and being inside the belly of a big beast) I'm pretty sure the theme of the series will see the Doctor facing off against Darth Vader in a climatic battle of sonic screwdrivers vs lightsaber

Lightsaber would win, of course.
  • Options

I'd picked up on those but I thought it might be my Star Wars fetish getting the better of me.

Having said that, am looking forward to Karen Gillan doing the whole "Leia" thing in a later episode now...
  • Options
    Ep 1 - Kissogram
    Ep 2 - Nightie
    Ep 3 - ?

When she was floating outside the Tardis and the Dr was holding on to her ankle am i the only one who wondered if she was wearing pants under her nightie? :eek2:
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Lightsaber would win, of course.
    Nah, soncic screwdriver would turn the lightsaber in on it's self in some way and make it explode in some dark time lordy fashion...which will then open said crack in the universe and kill EVERYONE! (and let billie piper back in as rose :P)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Another fantastic episode. Can't wait to see the daleks :D
  • Options
    Dalek episode was a bit shit, but I suspect it was setting things up for later in ther series.

Amy Pond was still hot though.

Weeping Angels next week = win
  • Options
    HAHA! Watched it today for the first time (well, from this series anyway) Matt Smith can not act, WHY did they make the darleks COLOURED?! I mean they are not scary now they look like a rainbow! That women was fit though, his assistant, and the Winston Churchill was a good actor.
    I wont be watching it again though.
    Xx
  • Options
    Weeping Angels next week = win

Weeping Angels *and* River Song. Cannot wait :D
  • Options
    HAHA! Watched it today for the first time (well, from this series anyway) Matt Smith can not act, WHY did they make the darleks COLOURED?! I mean they are not scary now they look like a rainbow! That women was fit though, his assistant, and the Winston Churchill was a good actor.
    I wont be watching it again though.
    Xx

I found the dalek voices quite scary actually! :nervous:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I found the dalek voices quite scary actually! :nervous:

Oh, yeah, there new less understandable voice to go with the rainbow colours :p I just think they should of kept the gold darleks, do you think these new ones can fly as well?
    Xx
  • Options
    Dalek Power Rangers. Fail.
  • Options
    Bit average - not sure I like the design of the new Daleks (and Stuka's never got as far as London, too slow and ungainly and lacked the range, so minus points for historical accuracy). Matt Smith was good, but a bit more subdued than in previous episodes.

But Ian McNiece and Bill Patterson were both excellent, and Karen Gillan - does her Mum know she goes out dressed in such a tiny skirt. I also loved the 'Where Eagles Dare' reference - "Broadsword calling Danny Boy" is frankly one of film's greatest lines
  • Options
    so minus points for historical accuracy

I don't think historical accuracy comes into it when England are fighting the war with Darleks ;)

Also, since WHEN did the Tardis have a St. John's sticker?!
    Xx
  • Options
    Bit average - not sure I like the design of the new Daleks (and Stuka's never got as far as London, too slow and ungainly and lacked the range, so minus points for historical accuracy). Matt Smith was good, but a bit more subdued than in previous episodes.

But Ian McNiece and Bill Patterson were both excellent, and Karen Gillan - does her Mum know she goes out dressed in such a tiny skirt. I also loved the 'Where Eagles Dare' reference - "Broadsword calling Danny Boy" is frankly one of film's greatest lines

Yeah - I loved the reference there :) Know what you're saying B-A but it was a surprisingly obvious historical mistake. It would only have taken Gatiss a couple of minutes to figure out it wasn't accurate :p

I really enjoyed the whole episode, I thought it worked pretty well, enough hints of Churchill speeches for a history buff like me to love it.

I really feel it was the Dalek designs that threw the whole thing off. I realise it was probably a decision to go towards something closer to the 60s movie design and maybe, though this would be brutal if true, tie in with the coming video game.

Given something has changed time I think we can assume this isn't supposed to be a permanent change to the Daleks, so I'll let it pass for now. However the actual colours were pretty brutal. White, black, red, that would be fine but Orange?

I'm curious to see if the increased size is going to be a hint that the Kaled inside is actually much closer to something human, that the device may mean that they returned to a much further back in their evolution. Otherwise I can't see much justification to fuck with the elegance of the classic pepperpots.

But yeah, despite all that I loved the whole thing. I like the continuing efforts to show Dr. Who actually meeting some famous historical figures as well. It's something that slowly seemed to die out and it's nice to see it continue to return.

I'd put money on this being an episode Gattiss penned out for RTD's run through and he's adapted it for the new series. Some elements felt like they really harked back to the really silly bits of previous episodes.

Still great though, nothing even close to some of the really terrible Tennant episodes.

Bring on the Angels though, can't wait for next week :)
  • Options
    I don't think historical accuracy comes into it when England are fighting the war with Darleks ;)

Also, since WHEN did the Tardis have a St. John's sticker?!
    Xx

It did originally, with Hartnell, as did all real Police boxes. The Tardis has 'regenerated' for this series and they decided to add it in again.

A few people have suggested they were trying to make it look more like Hartnell's original but it most closely resembles the Peter Cushing Tardis from the movies and most importantly the actual design of a Police Box.

I reckon that's what they were after, going back to the design of what it was actually based on.

Feel free to geek out here -
    http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/tardis-police-box.html
  • Options
    Ahh cheers Jim :thumb: I was wondering why that had randomly appeared.
    Xx
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

I really feel it was the Dalek designs that threw the whole thing off. I realise it was probably a decision to go towards something closer to the 60s movie design and maybe, though this would be brutal if true, tie in with the coming video game.

Given something has changed time I think we can assume this isn't supposed to be a permanent change to the Daleks, so I'll let it pass for now. However the actual colours were pretty brutal. White, black, red, that would be fine but Orange?

There were originally colourful Daleks though, so I'm not worried about that. Yes the "new" ones were pretty bright, but I'll put that down to the requirements of the HD generation to have bright colours :D
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the whole episode, I thought it worked pretty well, enough hints of Churchill speeches for a history buff like me to love it.

I did think McNeice was excellent and it was well characterised. He managed to capture both Churchill's ruthlessness as well as his underlying humanity, the bombast as well as the self doubt. And I can well imagine the real Churchill try to pickpocket the Doctor's key.
  • Options
    I did think McNeice was excellent and it was well characterised. He managed to capture both Churchill's ruthlessness as well as his underlying humanity, the bombast as well as the self doubt. And I can well imagine the real Churchill try to pickpocket the Doctor's key.

Btw, going a bit off topic, did you see Into the Storm, Brendan Gleeson played Churchill perfectly and it was a pretty impressive dramatisation of the war years.
  • Options

The colours are there to imitate moods (like a moodring thingy), which then affects the way that they do things, also the position of the dalek in the group. Such as the white being the "supreme", whits light is a combination of all colours. Red = agression, that dalek probably the attack comander.

CRACK IN THE WALLLLLLL!!!!! :O :O :O :O :O :O
  • Options
    Btw, going a bit off topic, did you see Into the Storm, Brendan Gleeson played Churchill perfectly and it was a pretty impressive dramatisation of the war years.

I haven't - I may well track down a copy.

Going even more off topic (at least you were still talking about things on film), if you haven't read it I'd recommend Max Hastings' 'Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord' which is an excellent study of him during WW2
  • Options
    I haven't - I may well track down a copy.

Going even more off topic (at least you were still talking about things on film), if you haven't read it I'd recommend Max Hastings' 'Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord' which is an excellent study of him during WW2

I'll have to track that down, read Nemesis, which is a brilliant work on the Pacific conflict, though also one of the most depressing things I've ever read. So many lives wasted by mistake for so much vanity and ego.
  • Options
    Not sure that the Weeping Angels lived up to their first appearance. Still think Matt Smith is doing a good job though...
  • Options
    Not sure that the Weeping Angels lived up to their first appearance. Still think Matt Smith is doing a good job though...

I saw the episode as a great set up for the second part. They still scare the bejeezus out of me, mind.