Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stopping Smoking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone ever given up smoking using hypnosis?

Is it any good, did it work for you?

Before I shell out best part of 400 quid on it, I wanted to hear if anyone else has had sucess with it?

Cheers

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Didn't do it personally - willpower worked for me (8 weeks or so and still counting).

I do however have a friend, well, more a mate really, who used hypnotism. He smoked 20 a day for 10 years and after two sessions of hypnotism hasn't smoked since. He swears by it.

The thing to bear in mind is that hypnotism attempts to break the psychological association of smoking with relaxation, being out with mates, good times etc. The physical addiction is easy to break as it only takes 3 days or so - a bad cold is enough to do that. It's the psychological addiction that's really tough.

Also important to note is that hypnotism doesn't work for everyone. However, I do know how tough giving up is so all the best. Just don't become one of those militant ex-smokers. None more zealous than a convert and all that.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Yeah I get you. The physical addition isn’t hard; I just hammer it in the gym for a few days to take my mind off it. I’ve managed that a few times.

It’s the psychological aspect that gets me every time. I was hoping this would be what hypnosis could be good at helping with.

I can’t stand the ex militant smokers. Each to their own, I never want to be one of those who feels the need to lecture everyone about smoking now I’ve given up.

Well done with 8 weeks and counting though :thumb:
  • Options
    its tough but as we all know its all about willpower there is a great deal of info online about stopping smoking and in my profession its bad for teeth and gums.

I found this guide particularly useful, it also helped to understand the reason why people smoke and many different treatment options:

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/smoking/index.html
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Before I shell out best part of 400 quid on it, I wanted to hear if anyone else has had sucess with it?

You'd be better off asking your GP for Champix.
  • Options
    quitting smoke...

im having problem quitting smoke. sometimes i do have withdrawal syndrome and i admit that im hook up with this cigarettes and also this affects my sleep during the night i do suffer insomnia. i hope somone could help me out in this..
  • Options
    Smoking can cause gum disease and oral cancer. It's not good for your skin,teeth and nutrition.
  • Options
    The physical addition isn’t hard; I just hammer it in the gym for a few days to take my mind off it. I’ve managed that a few times.

Man whenever I hammer the Gym, the first thing I crave when I come out is a fag.
  • Options
    Anyone ever given up smoking using hypnosis?

Is it any good, did it work for you?

Cheers

:thumb:

I did not use hypnosis, I did do well with the guy who put out the stopsmoking777 recordings.

His approach helped me get a grip on the psychological and emotional factors really quick, and stopping smoking was a breeze.
    :)
  • Options
    I should put a link to his video:

http://www.stopsmoking777.com
  • Options
    Smoking can cause gum disease and oral cancer. It's not good for your skin,teeth and nutrition.

Yes, we all know. Don't preach.
  • Options
    its tough but as we all know its all about willpower there is a great deal of info online about stopping smoking and in my profession its bad for teeth and gums.

I found this guide particularly useful, it also helped to understand the reason why people smoke and many different treatment options:

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/smoking/index.html

thanks for this link..

and
    also
    dianewoods wrote: »
    I should put a link to his video:

http://www.stopsmoking777.com

thank you for this..

i'll take a look and try it.. ;)