Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dilibrate Sleep Deprivation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I wonder if anyone can answer this question if someone dilibratately keeps themselves awake because of a feeling of control ect would this be classed as another way of self harm?

I have looked on many sites already about self harm and there seems to be alot about other ways of SH but the sleep thing is a new one and there doesn't seem to be much info out there... maybe I am looking in the wrong places...

Thank you for your help

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you think about it, yeah... I guess so.
    Well, it's definitely not self-love. Is this about you?
    Hmm... I guess harming yourself, in any way, on purpose, is self harm. I used to limit the amount of water I drank, and I know a boy who bites the insides of his mouth to make them bleed. They are, thinking about it, both forms of self harm.
    I think that, if this is about you, you should get the same help someone who cuts etc does. Maybe councelling?
    Xx
    Thank u so much for your replies....

Yes it is me who I was talking about, don't completely understand really, head all over the place....

But thanks for your replies anyway!!
    :)
    There are much more productive ways of self harming, and listen when I say that deliberatly stopping yourself from sleeping isn't really a smart idea. Your gona have such sleep deprivation later in your life that you'll make up for what you would miss now...if that makes sense. Get as much sleep as you can, because not sleeping screws your body up in so many ways. :)
    Hi Hurbuk:wave: ,

Check out some of the info on Self Harm. I hope this helps.

Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

B:) .
    Thanks everyone for your support and advise..... at the moment I have to say that I am very tired and have been awake for nearly 49 hours... its really hard becoz not sleeping is the only way that i can control what i choose to remember and what i choose not to.. i thought that this way would be one way that was fairly harmless and my body has got used to being awake for long periods of time.... i don't do emotions and so can't cry or get angry instead..
    bio haz wrote: »
    There are much more productive ways of self harming, and listen when I say that deliberatly stopping yourself from sleeping isn't really a smart idea. Your gona have such sleep deprivation later in your life that you'll make up for what you would miss now...if that makes sense. Get as much sleep as you can, because not sleeping screws your body up in so many ways. :)
    Getting too much also isn't good for you.