Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Really unhappy at work.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a full time bartender, I'm 19 and I've worked there for 4 months now.

I don't mind the job, though it's hard graft, it can be very pleasant regardless.

However - Some staff, management and the "queen bees" make life difficult for me. They just don't like me, I know it sounds generic - but they really dont. To all realistic constraints, I'm bullied there. They make me not want to be there. There's a lot of big fish, small pond politics - and it frustrates me but because I'm neither the person to get involved or pander, it creates problems for me.

They all seem to think I'm stupid - based on the generic schema of my original impression (as this is my first, bar job and full time job). It pisses me off, because they talk to me like a fool, and it destroys my confidence, further I'm quite a shy, passive person so they really don't help there. I'm not remotely lacking intelligence, but they make me feel so nervous and on the spot that I DO make stupid mistakes, it's a catch 22. I also cant do any right either, because one person tells me to do something, someone else tells me to do something - I do one thing intending to do the next one after and get bolocked for not doing the other thing. It's so frustrating.

Though, according to the most recent employee performance sheet, I sold the most for the period recorded. £4.3k in a week. Obviously I'm doing something right.

I am desperate to get out of there, but it'll take a while due to the economic climate and the job market in general. I won't be using them on my CV because of the reasons cited. 3 months unemployment is better than playing my career into the hands of a vindictive little ****.

What can I do? I feel so trapped in this job, I'd rather have never got it and be unemployed for the period.

Also, if I include them in my employment history on application forms/cv's - will prospective new employers seek reference from them or just confirmation of the dates I worked there?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think you need to state all places worked on your CV? After all, the CV is YOUR selling point to get a job. Just like you don't need to put age/references on the CV, only if they ask - or if they job is requirement of 18+.

But is this a big chain place of owned by your management? If the former, report it to head office. Get something done about it. Even if you plan on leaving fairly soon, report it. There must be at least ONE manager who isn't a total cock? You could still speak in confidence to that manager.

Regards to being made to look/feel stupid, I'm sure everyone will be put into the same position during their working life, I know I have on more than one occasion.
  • Options
    Dude, it's a bar job. If you're not happy then move. Yes we're in economic difficulty at the minute, but there will always be bar work available, and you don't need to wait until you've quit before you start looking anyway.

Sounds blunt I know, but the sort of problems you're facing are only problems if you're stuck in a career that you were planning on sticking with.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I don't think you need to state all places worked on your CV? After all, the CV is YOUR selling point to get a job. Just like you don't need to put age/references on the CV, only if they ask - or if they job is requirement of 18+.

But is this a big chain place of owned by your management? If the former, report it to head office. Get something done about it. Even if you plan on leaving fairly soon, report it. There must be at least ONE manager who isn't a total cock? You could still speak in confidence to that manager.

Regards to being made to look/feel stupid, I'm sure everyone will be put into the same position during their working life, I know I have on more than one occasion.

Agree on most points.

However, on CVs its important to put down all jobs you have had. Otherwise you get future possible employers asking why theres a big gap in your employment history.

I also had some bad experience when I worked a bar, tho fortunatly for me I got on well with the staff...tho I can't say the same for the arse of a manger I had. Maybe start looking for work elsewhere. Afterall you don't want to be stuck working a bar full time forever!
  • Options
    I couldn't fit all my jobs ever on a 2 page CV, just not necessary.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi LiverpoolStephen,

Sorry to hear about the bad time you are having at work.

As others have said, most employers will recognise your bar job for what it is: a chance to earn some money whilst you look for something that more suits your skills, aspirations and personal attributes. That it’s not your cup of tea or long-term career ambition is not going to be seen as a problem.

You say you don’t want to mention it on your CV, however there is one thing that stands out in your opening post that I would suggest really means you really should: that you sold the most amount in the week. At the end of the day, most employers are interested in bottom lines – and your success here will interest them far more than how you interact with colleagues.

Bear in mind that your employer will probably be alerted to your last employer when they complete your tax information; so I’d strongly advise against putting false information on your CV.

I’d suggest you are open with future employers, something akin to “I was good at what I was asked to do, but found the staff culture quite negative and didn’t feel valued”.

References have to be factually accurate, and particularly for something like bar work they are unlikely to be an extensive character reference – I wouldn’t worry too much about a reference from them.

And, make sure you’ve got plenty of other experience that proves how much of an positive asset you can be – are you a member of a local club or society, do you do any volunteering, do you do any freelance work or help out somewhere? All these people can probably give you much more positive, and accurate, character references than your bar job – and will be more valuable to your employer.

As JavaKrypt has said, you may want to consider approaching head office to complain about the negative culture. That’s your choice. But, don’t think you’ve got to wait for jobs to come to you – be proactive and approach local companies you’d be interested in working for and see what they can offer.

Good luck,

Olly
  • Options
    perhaps instead of just trying to do both sets of work you need to communicate more - "yes, I'll do that for you, but I need to finish this for them" - or ' sure, but I was doing this, can you square it with them"

An invaluable skill, and one I've not yet mastered.
  • Options
    They all seem to think I'm stupid - based on the generic schema of my original impression (as this is my first, bar job and full time job). It pisses me off, because they talk to me like a fool, and it destroys my confidence, further I'm quite a shy, passive person so they really don't help there. I'm not remotely lacking intelligence, but they make me feel so nervous and on the spot that I DO make stupid mistakes, it's a catch 22. I also cant do any right either, because one person tells me to do something, someone else tells me to do something - I do one thing intending to do the next one after and get bolocked for not doing the other thing. It's so frustrating.

I had the same exact problems in my last job and I quit. However, I'm still looking for work. I would take Whowhere's suggestion and start looking for work elsewhere before you leave (if you are desperate enough to quit).
  • Options
    Some good advice here from some intelligent people.

I would encourage you to speak to your boss at a good time for you both, I find 1 -on- 1 people react differenty. Have a chat, ask if there are things you can improve. Open a dialogue, that could help.

Other than that, move on. At some point in everybody's working life there are jobs that don't work out. It's a fact, it only looks bad on a cv if it happens too many times.