Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Food of your childhood?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any foods bring back fond memories for you?
Mine is Chip Butties. I remember being about 4 or 5, and I lived most of the time with my dad up in Nottingham. Me and one of my friends, who must of been about 8 at the time, used to go down to The Cob Shop at the end of my dads street. We always got chip butties, and used to sit on the wall outside and eat them.
I had one just now and it made me think, even the smell of them makes me smile still :)
Xx

Comments

• Options
    Cheesy waffles and beans ;)
  • Options
    Boiled egg and soldiers!! Havent had it for years.

Also I know its not food but me n my brother had rubber place mats, his had Mickey Mouse and mine had Minnie and I remember us running to go get them and put them on the table when our mum called for dinner :)
  • Options
    Whiting with peas and boiled potatos and tomato ketchup.
    When I became vegetarian a few years ago, I stopped eating fish too, but the other day, I was a bit down, so my mum made me some. And then I wouldn't eat it, and I got ridiculously upset about the fact I couldn't eat the whiting my mother had made especially for me.:(
  • Options
    You shouldn't be upset about that love, you are just sticking to your views. I'm vegan, and I miss the butter in a chip buttie... but I wont eat the butter. No matter how down I get, at least I can hold on to my views.
    Xx
  • Options
    You shouldn't be upset about that love, you are just sticking to your views. I'm vegan, and I miss the butter in a chip buttie... but I wont eat the butter. No matter how down I get, at least I can hold on to my views.
    Xx

It's not the sticking to my views thing, it was just the thing that cheered me up when I was little only made me more upset now I'm older. And also it was because she did something especially nice, and went out of her way to get it and all that. And I wouldn't eat it.
  • Options
    Hunny, if my mum gave me a glass of milk I'd throw it in her face! No matter how upset I was. She knows you are veggie, personally I would be very offended if someone knew I was vegan and cooked me meat.
    No offence x
    Xx
  • Options
    Donner Kebabs :heart: i still remember the first one i had! :heart:
  • Options
    oooo loads of things!

those pink wafer biscuits being one of them :D mmmm. i should SO buy some of those. i haven't had them in yearrsss.

ooo and chocolate crunch that you used to get in school too. extra nice when warm :yum:
  • Options
    I had this really old fork. It was tiny and had a matt dark-red handle. I think it belonged to my grandfather. I used to eat bread with butter and honey with that. My mother always spread butter + honey on a bread and cut it into severals squares and small strubbles would eat them with this fork.

good times.
  • Options
    Angel Delight
    Vienetta ice cream (always a treat we had at my grandparents' house)
    Frankfurter sausages, baked beans and potato waffles
    Porridge (:yuck: I hate it now due to being given it for breakfast every Sunday morning for about fifteen years)
    Bananas and custard :yum:
    "Pizza toast" - our school canteen used to serve it at break times - basically toast with tomato puree and melted cheese on top, sounds rank but was nice
    Iced buns, also from school - basically a plain hotdog roll (minus sausage obviously) with icing on top of it
    Nut roast reminds me of my one solitary year of being vegetarian aged about 13...
  • Options
    cubed apple and cubed cheese in a bowl. i had that as a snack a lot.
  • Options
    'iced ring biscuits' - i remember i went through a faze and i would only eat the yellow with pink ones :)

ooh and i know i still have it now from occasion, but when i was younger we got a chinese takeaway every second saturday. sat by the tv and watched gladiators, blind date and casualty with a plate of chips, egg fried rice, sweet and sour sauce and prawn crackers. mmmm :yum:

ohoh and sausage, mash and beans. my mum used to make faces out of it, or some other weird shape every time we had it :D
  • Options
    My nans cooking....especially shepards pie. And she makes the best gravy ever!
    Boiled egg and soilders
    BN biscuits
    Rice crispie squares
  • Options
    cubed apple and cubed cheese in a bowl. i had that as a snack a lot.

haha aw that reminded me of when i was little and my mum had ran out of bread to make sandwiches for my pack lunch, so she made me cubes of cheese, cucumber and cherry tomatoes in a tupperware to take for dinner. i didnt know i didnt have sandwiches and when i got it out i was so chuffed, i was showing it off to everyone and i was like the queen of my lunch table. haha! from then on i would beg my mum to make it as a special treat...ahh how easily pleased we are when we're 6.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Eggy bread.
    Boiled egg and soldiers.
    Taramasalata
    start cereal
    Angel delight
    Fudge bars
    Vimto
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    - Tuna pasta bake. To this day I am convinced it is the only thing my dad can cook.
    - Home cooked haddock, chips and peas with white sauce. Yum yum yum.
    - Ruskoline
  • Options
    My Dad's chilli bean rice stuff, which I wouldn't eat unless it was off his plate with his fork. Ah Daddy.
  • Options
    eggy bread! :heart:
  • Options
    Boiled egg and soldiers
    fat frog Ice lollys!
  • Options
    Not so much a favourite food, as a memory.

I used to go to Littlehampton on my own a lot and they had this rather crappy indoor fun fair. But in this fair was a vending. Cost 5p and you got a cup of... chips !
  • Options
    Twister ice creams
    school pizzas (both in primary and high school were amazing)
    pizza toast in high school
    the spring rolls one of the boys' dads used to make for super snack in year 6
    mongolian bbq
    pink doughnuts
    custard creams dipped in milk
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Angel Delight

A few people I live with love this stuff. They went to Tesco a few months ago and asked if they had any. The people I live with were rather disgusted that the staff hadn't heard of it.:lol:

They were then rather pissed off that I'd gone in there for something and saw they had some in there.:lol:
    Bananas and custard :yum:

I still love this.
    "Pizza toast" - our school canteen used to serve it at break times - basically toast with tomato puree and melted cheese on top, sounds rank but was nice

I miss this too. Might have it again next week if I have enough tomato puree left over.
  • Options
    arctic roll.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Angel Delight
    Vienetta ice cream (always a treat we had at my grandparents' house)
    Iced buns, also from school - basically a plain hotdog roll (minus sausage obviously) with icing on top of it

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!! I swear we had practically the same childhood.

Urm...

Cheese on toast with Marmite!
    Fish Fingers with Baked beans.
    Chicken Feet. (Yes I know, strange for a child! My parents used to take me to China Town in London for Chinese New Year... and we'd always go for Dim Sum in a Chinese Restaurant. When I was really, really young I used to eat Jam Sandwiches in there...but when I was about 5 or 6, I started eating the Chinese Food...and the first thing that took my fancy was Chicken Feet! I still eat it religiously every time I'm in China Town.)
    Spaghetti hoops on toast.

I'm sure there's loads more but my mind has gone well blank.
  • Options
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

A breadcrumb? :razz:
  • Options
    Lets start a food drive for Calvin
  • Options
    "Hedgehogs" - mini shepherds pies made by scooping the middle out of a baked potato and filling it with mince, then piling the mash back on top and spiking it up with a fork. My mum used to shape the mash into a little pointy face at one end and make a couple of holes for the eyes.

Fish fingers were another favourite.
  • Options
    School dinners:
    chocolate concrete with custard (actually made this last year - it was pretty good!)
    cheese and potato pie
    potato balls
    swede (ugh!)

at home:
    spinach
    stewed apple (didn't like either of these but our Mum was trying to bring us up healthily)
    gingercake
    cinnamon toast (from when we had an American au pair)
    crunchy nut cornflakes
    cheerios
    tropicana orange juice
    bourbon biscuits
    ribena

Ohhhhh I'm hungry and wish I could get this food here.
  • Options
    ya i remember when i was 4 years old i ate butter on toast but now i think back i cringe because butters gooey i don't even know how i ate them i just did