Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tinnitus

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long can the non-permanant tinnitus last? Because... normally, after gigs or nights out etc I'll get it for a few hours, or a couple of days. But I've had tinnitus now since the 8th of March or there abouts.
So... because it's been almost two weeks will it still go away? Or will I be stuck with it for ever ? :impissed:
Xx

Comments

• Options
    :chin:

Tinnitus is hearing damage so it might be permanent, or at least it might come and go but you will always have it.

I've had tinnitus every day for four years now. Before I use to get it after clubbing, nights out etc but now I've got it permanently (been told there is no cure) it is worse when I have been clubbing then goes back to it's normal state within about 12 hours or so.

I remember when I first had it and I was soooooo worried and couldn't stop thinking about it, then I went to the doctor and was referred to hosptial where they did tests and said that I had it and there was nothing they could do but offer me counselling to help me come to terms with it :eek2: But now, although I long to 'hear' silence I have gotten use to it. I would suggest that you go to the doctors.
  • Options
    I no what it is and everything, I get it quite a lot because I listen to music really loud. But, as you said, it normally goes away in a few hours or days.

The thing is ... is there a certain amount of time the non-permanent one can last? Or could it still go away, even though it's been over a week?

My dad has had it for about 25 years, and he said he doesn't even notice it anymore in daily life. If I went to the doctors, would they be able to tell if it's permanent ?

Xx
  • Options
    I think I left it for about two weeks before I went to the doctors, and they didn't do much to begin with. He asked me a load of questions and then told me to use ear drops for afew days then go back. I did this and there was no improvement and so he said to continue to use them. When I went back the third time and there was still no improvement he said that he was pretty sure it was tinnitus but referred me to hospital where they could do further tests. That took about a month for the appointment and it was there that I was told that it was tinnitus and I would always have it.

So basically no I don't think they would give you an answer straight away but perhaps it is worth going because ear problems can run in the family and you said your dad has got tinnitus.
  • Options
    He's a DJ so his is from clubbing etc... I'm pretty sure mine is just the same as that.

I don't see the point in the doctors really :-/ I know what it is... I might go if it doesn't go away within the next week though. Fingers crossed it'll piss off on it's own before then.
    Thanks FruitLoop
    Xx