Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coming off ADs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all!

As of today, my doctor and I have agreed that I can reduce my dosage and if I feel ok after a month, then I can stop taking them completely :D

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how they found it when they came off? I am on fluoxetine by the way.

Ta.

Comments

• Options
    Heya,

Its great that you are feeling well enough to come off them :yes:

Different people react differently to different drugs blah blah blah... but I'm sure you know that :p But by doing it gradually, and under the observation of your doctor you're giving yourself the best chance at it. :)

I came off fluoxetine (although it was to go onto something else afterwards) and I don't remember having any real issues. If you're looking for information on this elsewhere... it might be worth noting that people often remember / write about (on the internet!) their bad experiences... But for every person who writes a horrific account of how hard it is, there are probably a lot more people who found the whole process a positive/at least OK thing, and just don't bother writing about it.

All the best x
  • Options

Yeah, it reminds me of when I was looking at contraception and read all sorts of horror stories about various things bu ended up not having a problem. I guess it really does just depend.

We decided now would be a good time to try it because I'll be relaxing over Easter and I have my birthday to look forward to, so hopefully nothing will throw me too much.

Looking back on how I was this time last year, it feels like it happened to someone else. I look so ill in the pictures, I remember not sleeping, not eating. I'm glad I'm still here to be able to look back on the experience :)
  • Options
    I was on effexor for ages, had tried coming off it several times before and after a couple weeks just laid there crying and felt like I couldn't even get out of bed. I tried it again... maybe in early January... and it was the most amazing thing ever. I would get these weird fuzzy headaches for about a week every time I lowered the dose but really had no side effects besides that. I've been on various SSRI's for depression and social anxiety for as long as I can remember and I've never felt better now. I'm actually more outgoing and outspoken now that I've finally come off!

I think the biggest help was that I went to the gym about 5 days a week. That always makes me feel better so I wouldn't let myeself not go, no matter how much I didn't want to... the only bad thing is I think I've traded one vice for another as I've been off them for perhaps over a month now but if I miss more than 2 days at the gym I start to feel really sad.

Hope all goes well :D
  • Options
  • Options
    I have been on Fluoxetine, and I have just come off it. Personally I didn't suffer any (bad) withdrawal symptoms, but my mood was in fact pushed lower because of the medication, which is why I stopped taking them. I am going to be changing my medication in the near future, however.

Fluoxetine is an SSRI (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) typically they're easier to come off than other types of anti-depressants, dependant on the dosage and the amount of time you have been on them. Usually they have less side effects, less likelihood of withdrawal and a good 70% of patients taking them will feel a benefit. Different people react differently, it could be the case that you feel low again and choose to go back onto the medication, or it could be a smooth landing. It's a matter of waiting to find out.

I hope everything goes well.
  • Options
    today, my doctor and I have agreed that I can reduce my dosage and if I feel ok after a month, then I can stop taking them completely :D
    don't just come off them stone cold, thats rubbish won't help u at all.
    Don't worry... she's not :p

Looking back on how I was this time last year, it feels like it happened to someone else. I look so ill in the pictures, I remember not sleeping, not eating. I'm glad I'm still here to be able to look back on the experience :)

From what you've said, you sound so positive! Really fantastic to hear :D
  • Options
    Don't worry... she's not :p

From what you've said, you sound so positive! Really fantastic to hear :D

• Options
    Hi Marina Aniseed,

Just wanted to say well done you :thumb:

It's so good to hear you reflecting on how far you've come, please let us know how you get along.

dp :heart:
  • Options
    Sorry I've not replied, it's been a stressful weekend. However, I think I came through it ok. I cried a bit and swore to high heaven, but all in all, I held my head up high and didn't feel like harming myself or anything and I am still continuing with the planned reduction.

Thanks for your responses, there's something else I'd like to ask. For those of you who have come off, how did you deal with situations which came close to or did have a negative affect (effect?) on you?

Just to give it some background, this weekend was my best mate's birthday. About a month ago he got a new girlfriend and we met properly a few days ago. She took offense to a minor comment, flipped out at me, tried to punch me, spread a load of shit about me on facey b, sent some pretty offensive lies to mutual friends, and generally did her best to ruin my friend's birthday. It took all my strength to keep my cool and put on a happy face for his birthday, but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep on ignoring her before one way or another I explode.